First Grow, 2x2x4, Feminized Blueberry (Dutch Passion)

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by bryanoens, Mar 20, 2022.

1. Thanks for the kind words and re-assurance on power outage. Every little hiccup has worried me so far but I know it only gets easier the more I try. Welcome to the party. Stick around and get sticky buds.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Your certainly over thinking some things... which is always better than not thinking at all I suppose. Growing is all about learning and having fun, it doesn't need to be a chore, and it's not always about magic numbers and counting days, reacting to the plant is a lot easier and a lot less work than trying to stay ahead of every little thing. Not a bad thing though, the more attention, the better.

As for training the plant, moving the light a little farther away from the plant will allow it to stretch out a bit and get some space between nodes to help you spread it out. These plants really don't need much to veg. My veg plant probably only gets hit with like 300 par.

3. Looking good. That plant is really small, it wont go through much water until it gets bigger but you could probably give it a quarter to half gallon sometime in the next couple days, then wait another week or so to water again. Your soil could be heavier than you think. When i started out, i kept a pot of soil just to have something to compare it to.

FFOF might also be a soil that holds a lot of water, a really small plant could take 2-4 weeks to dry out a big pot.

As far as the soil being "to hot" or whatever, dont worry about that to much. Plants are really delicate when they are sprouts but once the get more mature, the take off like weeds. It would be really hard to get your soil "perfect" to the point where you dont see any issues in the seedling stage.

4. She took her first dose of nutes on 4/7 and her reaction was great. Lots of stretching and growth between then and now. Gave her 28oz water with big bloom+grow big and I think she will be good for 1 more day before re-watering (without nutes).

Thats interesting and I would have thought 300 is too low. I tested the lights with a par meter (later returned) and it was showing about 520 in the center at 18" and around 350-430 on the outer sides. That of course was at full 100% light and ive actually turned it down to about 80% due to heat. The closet my tent is in doesnt have much airflow so the tent gets hotter than normal. At 100% light it gets to 85f so I keep it lower and temps stay below 82f.

Attached Files:

5. Watered her on 4/11 with 20oz plain water. Looking healthy today and has 5 main tops with a few side branches that will likely produce popcorn nugs. Overall I'm liking how she's developing but I noticed 1 new leaf with some bites or ph imbalance issues. Just 1 leaf is kinda shredded and looks like a bug got it. But there are no signs of critters so I'm leaning ph issue. Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

6. Looks like it was damaged when it was a very small leaf.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Is it common for other big leafs to cause damage to younger growth or was this a chemical ph issue from the start? Seems weird to have only 1 leaf reflect an issue. I'm not worried but curious how it could have happened.

8. Just looks like leaf damage, it happens. They will get folded or cracked or get a crease and rip as they grow. Happens to my plants when I train or top them, or pull leaves around. I get a few funky looking leaves. If it's not critters chalk it up as physical damage, no biggie.

• Like Like x 1
  9. You both are so awesome! Thank you for the support and piece of mind. I feel more relaxed before about the grow every time I have responses with helpful insight.

Blooby is not being trained by a professional but I almost have all tops at same height. I need to take the main stem a little further down and they should all be equal heights soon. Was thinking to flip 12/12 on 4/20 which would be at 6-weeks after sprouting.

Attached Files:

10. Looking good. A dehumidifier is a well worth while investment
    And anothe rads on light in the future. I really like the p2500s
    Great price can be found if you shop around

11. Not sure if I will need a dehumidifier yet but maybe during flowering. I can keep humidity between 50-70% throughout the day/night cycles with it maybe reaching 72% at night time. During the day it stays between 55-65% which is ideal from what I read. Adding extra lights is always going to help but im not ready to spend ~$240 for a light when my current one cost $75. I may think differently after first harvest. :smoking:

12. If your dead set on LED, these seem to be the best bang for your buck. Todays price looks like 63$ for bestva on my amazon and 90 for the vipar. I would much rather have several small boards than one big one.
    V Bestva 1000.JPG Viparspectra 1000.JPG

13. Darn. That Bestva would have fit my tent and budget perfectly but it was ~$100 when I was looking. Also, I think it was out of my search filters since it says its for 3x3 and my tent is 2x2. Ive now learned that a 3x3 light would be more optimal in my 2x2 since the 2x2 light is only 12" in length.
    Thanks for the light suggestions. My current light return window ended on March 27th so im stuck with it for now. But its not a bad thing. Maybe I add another small light for next 2 plant grow. I agree, I would rather have multiple small boards than 1 big. Redundancy for light is important in case something goes bad.

14. If its amazon, just send them a message i bet they would take it back. And yeah, you might be able to sprout some tomatoes in a 3x3 with that light but growing weed, even a 2x2 is pretty big for a 125w light.

15. Shes still doing great. Gave 20oz water and another round of nutrients and she is trying to reach the sky. Been LST much as possible before next week flower change.
    I may be going down a rabbit hole on easter weekend but why are VPD charts and calculators different?
    If I enter my current temps/rh% the numbers for kpa are different depending on the calculator and charts. Which one is accurate and why isn't this validation accurate across different sites? Is VPD "new" and people don't know how to accurately measure yet.

Air temp = 26.11111c (79f) and RH = 60%

https://cals.arizona.edu/vpdcalc/ = VPD:1.354 kPa

VPD Calculator = Vapor Pressure Deficit (kPa) :0.97

VPD Chart Vapor Pressure Deficit (kPa) :

https://www.doctorgreenhouse.com/vpd-calculator = Vapor Pressure Deficit 1.35 (kPa)

Why do 2 calcs say .97kpa and the other 2 say 1.35? Those are not close to each other.

Attached Files:

16. I only clicked on one of the 0.97 but it has a air temp and a leaf temp. You always want to go by leaf temp.

17. I understand the leaf temp is better to calculate but all those pages have RH and room temp as options but provide different results when filling in just those options. I'm sticking to VPD Chart and will trust it. Just interesting to see different results with same variables.

Girl is looking healthy but noticed some down claw for newer growth. Been 3.5days since 20oz water. I don't think it's an overwatering issue and I plan to water tonight (without nutrients) but might hold if told otherwise.
    I also plan to perform my first defoliation of the lower leaves but will not be lollipopping. I think it's healthy enough and trained to not require lolli. I count 9 solid tops right now all getting good light. Planning to remove some lower fans and waiting another week to de-stress before flipping to flower. It puts me back 5 days from my original plan but I think minor defoilation is needed to help with the next 2 months.

Attached Files:

18. Looking like a mag deficiency starting to kick in. Going to check ph later and figure out next steps. Flipping to 12&12 tomorrow

Attached Files:

19. I cheaped out on another pH tester that didn't work. The litmus strips I have seem to lean on the 5.5-6.5 scale but they can be tricky to read without a trained eye. I may jump the gun and buy apera.
    Luckily the deficiency appears to have subsided for now. It's definitely not getting worse. Most of the leaves have some sort of burnt tip but it's not horrible nor spreading along the leaf. Seems like a lot of growers have similar burnt tips so I'll try l take it as normal and carry on.
    Some minor defoilation was completed on 4/18 but only 10 leaves were removed to get off soil and removing dying beginner leaves. I've read and watched videos on defoilation/pruning and most of the people who go crazy cutting are using "bro-science" while traditionalist use biology to justify why they don't remove fan leaves. I see both sides so I stuck to a small cleanup.
    Flipped her on 4/22 so today is D7 for flowering. She has stretched some but not a whole bunch. Pretty sure that's her genetics. I removed the pot of water/sponges because I noticed nighttime humidity was going into the 65-70% range. Temp is about 68f. During the day it stays around 50-58% with temps around 78-80. Im going to keep close eye on nighttime humidity since that could be a mold starter. I'm just not sure why humidity rises that much when temps are down. Thought it would be opposite.
    Blueberry is prone to be 8 week flowering girl and that places her chop day on father's Day :)

Attached Files:

20. The flowering stretch is real, at least for the main stem. Offshoots seem to be a bit slower for stretch but they are still showing nice flowering. I may have needed to train the main stem a bit more before turning 12/12.
    I think I figured out some humidity issues by not only removing the water pot from the tent but also removing it from my closet. Derp me placed the bucket near my intake and I'm sure it added some moisture to the tent. After removing the bucket. Humidity hasn't gone over 55% and sticks closer to 48% throughout the day.
    Every day is super fun to see the growth after night time. Blooby is a star in my eyes.

Attached Files: