First grow, 150w CFl, 600 HPS.

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Insoluable, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Hey guys,
    Been reading on this forum for ages, decided to start a journal even though im a few weeks late, i guess it skips the boring part.
    Ive got 2 plants at the moments, both femanized, a pineapple express and a LSD.
    I also have a pineapple kush that is germinating on my window. It should be ready to pot tomorrow.
    I am using some random all purpose garden soil/compost stuff my girlfriend bought, I know its not ideal by any means but it seems to be going ok at the moment. I havnt been monitoring ph at all, nor temps or humidity. Ive kept a fan blowing inside every 2 hours for 1 hour, and left openings in the tent for air to escape. With water ive been using tap water, left open for 24h.
    Again i know this isnt ideal but it will have to do for now.
    At the moment the two are sharing the 150w cfl, and as soon as the kush sprouts its going to have to share for now aswell. Im planning on vegging for 2 weeks from the kush's sprout-day(like birthday?) . The first two will have a major headstart, but i thought it better late than never.
    Ive started them on 1/4 strength terra vega a few days ago, and will probably water again in a few days with just a little stronger than 1/4 strength.
    So in 2 weeks time the 3 of em are under the 600w HPS for 12/12. Going to see what the temps are like, already preparing for additional fans and a vent tube i can conceal out my window ^^
    The tent is 1/8m i think, and i know how much heat the hps gives off so im going to have to come up with a plan for cooling. I also live in a semi detached house and a bit concerned about the smell later on down the road. The house is a none issue we share a house with family and they grow themselves.
    Both plants look really health considering the soil and lack of effort with ph/temps/humidity on my part :p
    No wilting for discoloration that I can see yet, and both seem to be growing at decent rates.
    Pics of plants after 19 days, express on left, LSD on right. Also a snapshot of my tent and primitive inside setup.

Hit me up and let me know what ya think. All suggestions will be well received and appreciated.
    Cheers.

Attached Files:

2. Just potted the pineapple kush this morning.
    All things are a go. I know its said not to put it under the light until it comes through the soil but what harm can it possibly do?
    Cheers.

3. Ive put my newly germed seeds under a light wont hurt them just aslong as they are under a cfl

4. #4 Insoluable, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2011
    Quick update.
    I buried kush seed, root down, seed slightly out of soil, making sure to cover the root.
    It has now stood up completely and starting to spread leaves in under 8 hours.
    I have a few questions. ( not generic ones i hope ^^)
    Firstly, since i am using a 150w cfl for veg, with my 2 bigger plants on either side of the bulb and leaning towards it. This was more apparent when they were smaller. I have tried to turn the plants the opposite directions a few times to 'straighten' out the stem. Is this a correct procedure? I know the leaves are supposed to face the light, but will it have negative effects if i turn it away until it turns its leaves towards the light again?
    Secondly, as i mentioned before, i have now started growing a 3rd plant.
    This is where the issue is.
    the first two plants have been in veg now or about 20 days. The 3rd hasn't sprouted leaves yet. This gives the first two almost 3 weeks head start.
    By the time this 3rd plant is where the first 2 are now, the first two will theoretically be double in size and still vegging. I was planning on vegging for 1 month but now I have to veg em way longer, just to let the 3rd have time to mature a bit.
    I was thinking of giving the 3rd 2 weeks to veg, making the 1st two almost a month and a half.
    Will the two big ones not rob the small one of light etc? The one cfl doesnt look like its going to cut it for 2 big plants and a small one fighting to grow. I dont know if this will be an issue under the 600w HPS?
    I only have 1 decent sized tent and only 2 lights at the moment (cfl for veg, hps for flower). I dont want to set up a whole other grow just for the kush thats behind.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks for reading. More pics in a few..

5. Try upload a pic showing how bad they are bending.

6. Hey guys.
    Bad news about the kush seed.she was going really well and i left her under the cfl yesterday at work.when i came home she was kinda purple and looking really ill.i think it may have been too close to the bulb :(
    Either way ive moved it away but i done have much hope of it pulling through. This makes my decisions a bit easier though.two plants will have to do for the first grow.otherwise the lsd and PE are doing great.getting nice and bushy.
    Ill check her out when im home and get more pics of the ladies.
    Have a great day all.

7. LSD is a good strain. checkout my grow if you want to see it veg and go into flower

8. Nice man, yours look awesome.
    How mine manage to get there.
    Unfortunately I think my last seed is down for the count. Gonna leave it in there, miracles happen i guess. But otherwise its time to start focusing on the first two ladies in my life..
    I have canna terra flora/vega for nutes. Thinking this should be ok for first time grow but im not opposed to the idea of getting more if its recommended.
    Im a little unsure as to when I should flower em.I know the longer they veg the bigger bla bla bla, but, is there a recommended minimum? Like should i wait until they preflower or have such and such amount of leaf mass? In case you dont notice im very excited to see the growth in flower, and I cant wait to see the 600w HPS in action. I calculated about £1 a day on the light (0.13p kW is my price on meter). Any1 can confirm/deny this by any chance? Not really an issue but im interested none the less.
    Anyway thats it for now. Gonna upload pics in a few hours.
    Cheers guys.

9. Hey guys.
    Just uploading some pics from today. Gave em 1/2 strength nutes this morning.
    Again, the taller girl is Pineapple express, the shorter is LSD. And another shot of the tent.
    Enjoy.

Attached Files:

10. Morning all.
    Got a bit impatient this morning, decided to switch the 150w CFL for the 600w HPS. Not starting flower quite yet, just want to test the heat/vent situation. So far its pretty warm in there, getting a temp gauge after work. Got the fan pointed at the bulb and blowing constantly, so that should circulate the air out the vent at the top.
    Also got it about 1/2 meter above the plants, if they decide to stretch ill drop it down further and put the fan speed higher. Gonna need an extractor i think, got a lovely air vent on the wall that will allow me to feed a vent pipe directly outside.
    Maybe a bit of concern about the heat emanating from 1 spot outside the house?
    Either way I gotta make make the HPS work, so wish me luck.

11. Yea the hps is gotta work some how. do whatever you can to make it happen. As far as flowering goes i would wait about 4 weeks

12. Cheers cap.
    The fan seems to be doing a good job,i can feel the heat coming out nicely out the top.
    The plants are now 25 days old, ill wait the extra week to get em to a month before flower.
    Man this HPS puts out SO much more light than the CFl...
    Gonna be watering em every 2-3 days as well, can imagine this light will dry the soil much faster.

13. Hey again guys.
    Quick update. Girlfriend is bitching about the 600w HPS. So have to go out and buy a CFL for flower. Was thinking 250w. Gonna get it on wednesday so using the 150w for the remainder of veg.
    Just a bit more time to try warm the missus up to the HPS ^^
    Anyway pics coming tomorrow.

14. Just noticed this morning my LSD is showing signs of wierd ph. Totally my fault for not keepin track of it. Some of its newer leaves have got a very small brown tip. I dont think it will do lasting damage though. Im off to get ph tester and maybe ph up/down after work. Im also very unhappy about using this soil but i guess its too late to change it over now.its just gonna have to do. 1 more week of veg,gotta get ph under control by then.
    Promise pics as soon as im home.
    Cheers all.

15. hi again.
    Got a ph tester, and ph down. now able to get my ph in check. Turns out i have been giving too much nutes, hence the brown tips on new growth.the larger plant is unaffected and is draining the soil much faster. The LSD clearly needs a bit more attention to the details.
    Anyway I also got a temp/humidity gauge, finally....
    Check the pics let me know what you think of the temps.
    Anyway T-4 days until 12/12 starts.

Attached Files:

16. Got a quick question about flushing.
    Im starting flower tomorrow,should i flush em tonight and start em
    On the flower nutes tomorrow? Or just leave the remainder of veg nutes
    Inside and start with flower nutes?
    Cheers.

17. Hey again guys.
    Havnt updated in a while so here are some pics.
    They are still vegging, starting flower tomorrow afternoon.
    Started to LST the pineapple express, it was too tall. Over a few days i bent the main stem over 90 degrees. I would have preferred to start LSTing a lot sooner, as now the stem is hard and doesnt give much. So i know 90 degrees isnt ideal, would love to spiral it around the pot but it will have to do.
    I can already see the effect, and i am very very pleased. Now the two plants are the same high and much easier to shed light on. I also FIMMed a few parts of the PE, just as a test. However i only did that 2 days ago, and im not sure 4 days is enough veg time to do what its supposed to do. Anyway time will tell.
    Enjoy the pics.

Attached Files:

18. Just hooked up the 250w CFL for flower. Giving em 6 hours dark tonight then from the morning its 12/12.
    Im gonna continue to tie down the main stem, she doesnt seem to like the angle she is at.
    What should i do with it? Should I try turning it around the pot or just leave it to grow with the rest of the bud sites of the same height. I imagine it will grow a lot faster, and therefor make the plant lob-sided. Any suggestions?
    Thanks again.

19. Just tie the stem down and let the plant grow man trust me she will move towards the light if she needs too :smoke:

20. Yo guys.
    Time for an update.
    Its now week 1 of flowering, and things are going great. The LST'd Pineapple express is now almost perfectly even with about 10-12 bud sites(if that is the correct term?), really an awesome sight. Every plant I have from here is gonna be LST'd.
    As for my FIM attempt, its coming along well, 2 shoots where there would be 1. Really easy and really effective. Im also going to FIM most of my plants from here onwards, i see no downside. Less stress than topping, which im never gonna consider.
    Also gave em their first dose of Terra Flora this morning, so flower is in full swing.
    Also I can now see pistils on both plants. Fem seeds FTW!!!!!!!
    Check the pics and see how they have come along.
    Peace.

Attached Files: