First Grow - 1000w - Ebb & Gro - MMJ

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by tacotime, May 21, 2010.

1. Just place the shorter ones on empty pots or something that can raise their profile, no need to chop at the best girl to get her height down, just raise the others;);) looking good

2. Well, with the Ebb & Gro system, it uses gravity to equalize the water level in every pot. So I think all of the pots need to be on an even surface.

You're right, I wouldn't want to cut the best plants. I only thought about it because there are only 2 of them, and there are 10 other plants that will be losing out on light. As far as yield goes, those two will probably be the biggest yielding. Maybe I should just leave it be. ;)

3. I bought a Phresh Silencer to put on the output side of my fan to hopefully quiet it down. I asked the guys at the store if I could take it back if I didn't like it, and they said no, but I thought I would try it anyway.

Turns out that it does work pretty well, but you can still hear the fan. I would say that it's about 50% quieter, but then that just means that there is still a suspicious humming noise coming from a locked room that is just quieter than before but still fully audible. If I could, I would return it and build my own much bigger silencer. I was just hoping this one would work.

If you were using this system to blow the air outside and worried about outside noise, I would highly recommend the silencer, I think it'd be fine. I am trying to fully muffle the sounds coming out of the room inside though, just in case I have company.

I also picked up a couple of small ona containers in the fresh linen scent. Man, those things are powerful. I am actually worried that if someone came over the smell of the ona gel might make them more suspicious than if there were no ona gel at all. Considering Ona Gel only comes in 2 scents, I'm sure there are a lot of people that instantly recognize what it is.

Yeah, I'm a little paranoid sometimes.

Ordered a thermostat for the AC today. With the wild temp swings we've been having here, leaving the AC on a timer only has resulted in the room getting pretty chilly. It has gotten down to 60 degrees, and at one point as high as 88. The thermostat should fix this.

Plants look great though, so that's all that matters!

Attached Files:

• 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      211.1 KB
      Views:
    • 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      347.5 KB
      Views:
  4. I've been thinking about getting the Ebb & Gro kit. Your journal makes me very confident about my plans to start growing. There's only a couple things I would do differently. Good job.

5. I got the clones and mothers out of the room and switched to 12/12 last night. I turned the watering down to 3 times a day only while the lights are on.

The thermostat on the AC works great. Temps are about 78 with the lights on.

The plants are using a ton more water now, the reservoir was looking a little low. I topped it off at about 40 gallons, and topped off with FloraNova Bloom to 1400ppm.

I'm not doing a reservoir change. Just topping off with Bloom.

Plants are looking great!

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      345.3 KB
      Views:
  6. If you don't mind my asking, what is the tall, slender cylinder in the corner of the room?

7. Hey man, setup looks pretty good! Glad I came across this one. Your plants all look very healthy. One thing I noticed is that the 6 plants on the outsides look like they are getting slightly less light than the other 6. Maybe lift the reflector a few inches for better coverage? Definitely sub'd, and following daily!

8. It's a DIY carbon scrubber. For masking smell.

9. It's a Phresh brand carbon filter, topped with a fan, topped with a silencer.

The filter removes the smell, and the silencer removes the noise from the fan. I don't blow the air out, just recirculate it.

10. Thanks!

There are definitely some size differences, but I am not sure it can all be attributed to the way the light is spread.

The tallest plants on the far left are a sativa/indica mix, then the middle plants are a big fat indica, and then the smallest wiry looking plants on the far right are a sativa.

I am wishing that they were all the same, because I think they are about to really start going different directions now that they're in flower. I guess we'll just have to see what happens!

11. A little concerned with humidity at the moment. I bought a new Honeywell thermometer/hygrometer, and it says that my humidity is 75% sometimes. My other, cheaper probe says about 60%.

I am just worried that if it's too high I might have problems with mold or other nasty things. How much humidity is too much?

I am borrowing a 3rd hygrometer right now to see what's really going on.

The honeywell unit is pretty cool though otherwise. It was $30, and it comes with a remote sensor. You can place the remote sensor right up in the plants, and then put the display unit outside. This is nice so I'm not in and out of the room all the time checking temps.

12. setup looks lovely man. you should add another lamp and extend that thing to 24 pots :D

I been eying an ebb and gro system at the hydro store for some time now. will be interesting to see you take this to harvest.

how tall were your plants when you switched to 12/12

13. Funny you mentioned that. I will be for sure running 24 next run, maybe 32. 2 columns of 16. The rails can cover 4 more pots.

I am not sure on exact height. I will measure them tonight. I was basing my grow off of Sugardaddie's, and I know he flipped his at 30", so I was originally going to use that as my benchmark, but I went with 1 month instead.

14. My tallest plant was 25" when I measured it. So I think they could have gone for a bit longer...

15. Here is the latest picture. I found my Canon camera and will take some closeups this weekend. All of the plants look very healthy, and they are growing fast. I keep the light close, so I am having to raise it almost every day.

I added about 5 gallons to the reservoir yesterday.

I lowered the thermostat during the dark hours to 74 degrees. So when it's dark it should be about 74, and when the lights are on it should be about 80. I was just trying to get the AC to run a little more often to bring the humidity down some. Seems to be working. I don't know how this setup will run in the cooler months, I guess we'll have to see...

Attached Files:

• 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      357.3 KB
      Views:
  16. Here is a picture from last night. Plants are going through more than 1 gallon a day in water right now, and taking up a lot of nutrients. They are growing like mad. They got burned pretty bad one day because of how fast they sprouted up. I have since raised the light as you can see in this picture...

That's a metal yard stick propped up on the left side of the plants.

Attached Files:

• 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      340.4 KB
      Views:
  17. Couple of more pics from last night. I am running out of rope, soon my light will be as high as it can go.

Humidity sometimes is good around 50%, but sometimes climbs up to 70%. I may invest in a dehumidifier, but I am not finding a suitable model. They are all either little desktop 1 liter models, or jump right up to 25 liters.

The odor is still controlled well. I would feel better with an Ona Breeze in the basement. To really just overpower everything down there.

Air conditioner is working perfect since I got it on a thermostat.

I have a few mother plants that are in desperate need of some rehabilitation. They need bigger pots and just generally more love. I hope to attend to that this weekend. We'll see.

Attached Files:

• 13.jpg
      13.jpg
      File size:
      281.2 KB
      Views:
    • 14.jpg
      14.jpg
      File size:
      111.7 KB
      Views:
  18. WOW! How fast they grow up!

My phone was screwed up the last week or so, so I didn't take any pictures but I got it fixed tonight and snapped a couple. They are out of control!

It has been getting more and more humid as they get larger. I guess just because there is more moist plant surface area that the water can evaporate from? Anyway, humidity is up to 80% with lights on, which is unacceptable. I think when the buds get bigger, mold will easily take hold.

I have a Soleus Air CFM-40 dehumidifier on order and it should be here any day. I think that should do the trick. I hope so.

The only good news about spending all of this money on equipment is that I'll be able to reuse it all, and everything should be able to handle the extra duty when I double everything up next run. We'll see.

Until next time.... :wave:

Attached Files:

• 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      312.9 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      391.5 KB
      Views:
  19. Well, some of the tallest plants are up to 48" now, but seem to have stopped shooting up so fast finally. I was worried that I was going to have to cut a hole in the floor and let them grow to the upstairs. :eek:

I got my dehumidifier installed, and it holds the humidity at about 55% on it's "dry" setting with a medium fan speed. Pulls about 1 gallon of water into a reservoir every 24 hours.

The reservoir only holds 1.5 gallons, so now that's a new thing I need to do every day. The dehumidifier has a hose output that I could hook a hose up to, and then I would just drain it back into the reservoir. I'll probably do that next week, about when I'm getting sick of emptying that reservoir.

Other than that minor annoyance, things are finally just right. The only thing I would change or add at this point is probably CO2. But seeing as how I don't really know what I'm doing, and don't have a baseline to even gauge an improvement by, there is really no point.

If everything goes well this run, I will have a little money to play around with a CO2 setup. We'll see though...

20. #40 spooky1i, Jul 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2010
    Not a good idea to use gray water on your plants. You either keep dumping it like you normally do. Or run that drain off your dehumidifier into a floor drain. Just get rid of it. Look up using gray water for drinking or watering your plants with. Wouldn't risk it. I may have misunderstood what you were saying. But it sounded like you said you were planning on adding it to your plants nute reservoir. If I misunderstood I am sorry. What are you doing for fresh air. I noticed you said you were just recirculating your filtered air. So I am wondering if you have a fresh air intake and a room exhaust? Now I am no expert either but the way most people set up the scrubbers is in a way that pulls air through the filter and exhausts it out of the grow area scrubbed. And either a active air intake or a passive air intake. Meaning an actual fan bringing in fresh air from somewhere else. Or just a hole and the scrubber fan creates negative pressure and air flow is achieved. And also you want them on opposite sides of the room so you can create a cross current of fresh air. If you add carbon dioxide you may also want to look into a controller that will shut your fans off automatically when the Co2 comes on. You don't want to just suck all your co2 out of the room before the plants utilize it. Also room temp will increases making ac run more. In my experience co2 isn't needed if you can provide plenty of fresh air. co2 is everywhere. Love your set up by the way you say this is your first grow wow. You are doing pretty damn good. I will be back to see your progress. And if I can help in any way shoot me a message or something.

Couple pics: The scrubber pulling air through it and exhausting into main body of my basement. The hidden grate where the scrubbed air comes out, and the active air intake on the opposing side of the room. It contains a 6 in. duct fan in an open air configuration. The fan is mounted in a 8 inch duct creating a empty cavity. Moves more air that way plus lets the scrubber pull negative pressure without over speeding the duct fan making it louder. That way if I have the door open going in or out or whatever fresh air still comes in. I pull the fresh air from our living space. There is also a window right above the vents pulling air so when it's nice out I open her up and pull air from outside. Both vents in pic are dedicated to grow room intake. One for flower room and one for veg cabinet. Veg cabinet has a 4in duct fan in a open air configuration in a 6in duct. And yes that is a 6in duct behind the fan I used reducers on a piece of 8in duct behind the tarp. Under those grates I have filter material that I cut out to fit perfectly. Color dark blue not easy to see. I have to swap them out like once a week. Just to keep out bugs and dust and cat hair. The filter is reusable so I just wash them out and reuse every third time I have three sets.

Attached Files: