First Grow: 1-2 plant CFL/HPS closet grow

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by GreenyPuffs, Feb 6, 2010.

1. I've been reading around on these forums for the last few weeks gathering the info i thought id need for a personal-grow. I live in an apartment so i dont have room for more than 1-2 plants in a closet grow box. I plan on using only CFL (daylight) for the veg, then adding a 70w HPS (or 2 for 2 plants) with some supplemental ROY spectrum CFLs for flowering. I'll use basic/cheap nutes and soil that i see recommended throughout the forums. I know these arent optimal growing conditions, but even if i had the money for fancy shit i wouldnt want to waste it when im not sure what im doing yet. If i do good it will obviously influence me to spend more on improving my setup. Heres the basic design i have for my setup, any tips/suggestions/corrections would be a great help. Thanks :D

GBD#1.png

2. :( No one has anything to say? no questions? Im going to go smoke ONE bowl, and when I come back I better have some replies...

3. Save your money, don't by 2 70w HPS. If anything just buy one 200w hps.
    Try and get your bulb to lay horizontally, as it is more efficient that way.
    Hope your box is going to be taller than that....

4. that's a cool design. should work great. i like the bowl screen. keep us updated.
    my first grow
    http://forum.grasscity.com/general-indoor-growing/531815-1000w-mh-hps-lst-scrog-dwc-first-grow.html

5. Ya i would probably have the HPS bulb sideways to better light the oblong of the bowl. I was thinking about 150w but i think it might be too hot for the grow box. Not to mention the only place i could get anything higher than 70w is online and im kinda sketchy about mail and what not :p I was originally going to do a strictly CFL indoor grow but ive heard from multiple people that HPS amber glow is mana to mary jane so i wanted to add its spectrum but on a small scale. If the grow box isnt tall enough ill raise the sides with cardboard boxing. Im HOPING to grow the flattest marijuana plant in the world haha... I plan to LST in a spiral around the bowl and leave enough gaps in between to keep the side branches tucked too. I probably will only have a chance with an indica strain, although ive heard that simply using CFL and grow box sort of gimps the plant in a way so it grows smaller than it would outside. If the plant stays flat and compact like i hope it will it will give the plant all the reflection from the lid as well. I actually don't even have any money yet to commit to this but I will be getting it soon, just trying to get everything down cuz it would be harder to try to learn as im in the process of growing :]
    Well thanks alot for the replies guys i really appreciate it.
    I will keep you guys posted but only as long as you all....
    stay high

6. Ya ill have some sort of oscilating fan in there, i figure as long as i keep the intake and outake fans on it would keep the air in there from heating up to much, but for the HPS i plan to have a seperate fan completely. Im also gna do some home made deodorizers out of cups, ONA, that crystal stuff that absorbs water, and water :D. I figure id just put a few holes in the sides of the cups and put one next to in and out fans. It will probably be a month or two before i actually start :( because mr. friend said his sources mothers all got spider mites, so they need to grow new mothers before i can get any clones. Thanks for the input :)

7. Wait... 10.0 UVB bulb? Would i find this at a hardware store or a pet shop?

8. And what does the 10.0 UBV bulb do? My ultimate goal here is to keep the branches and buds from poking up out of under the lid. People have said that the only difference they see between CFL and HPS is CFL produces fluffier bud and HPS more compact. Thats one of the main reasons im not doing a strictly CFL grow.