First ever outdoor grow! (SOCAL)

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by saduka, Aug 31, 2016.

1. #1 saduka, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    Hi guys, im growing my first grow outdoor. If anyone can give some tips to a newbie will be great!

Now to the seeds,
    I picked up the seeds from herbies since i saw a lot of good feedback from them.

[​IMG]

Now for the soil, pots, pH tester, etc
    [​IMG]

- please if anyone else has any input on what else I would need to make these flowers bloom! I will be updating this thread as well on my progress. Thanks everyone!

2. Wussup man. A little late to start from seed out here in so cal. I would wait till april 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. can i grow the auto flowering instead? I was really looking forward to growing lol, also you know socal weather has been on crack recently too haha.

4. That pH tester is worthless. Trust me. I've had a few. If you're going to use a hand held tester, go ahead and buy a BlueLab. It's the only thing I've ever bought that was of quality and gave you good readings consistently. They run around $80, but are worth their weight in gold as far as the pH testing goes. They're right every time, they work fairly quickly and they last...which I have never found in ANY other tester I've bought and used.

Too late to start regular strain seeds. It's about hours of light, not weather. I think you need to stop right here and take the time to go to the "beginner growers" thread near the bottom of the "forums" page and read the "sticky's" at the top of the page. They contain the basic info, how, why, where, when, etc., and how to tend your plant to get the most out of it. Otherwise, you're going to fumble along and do things that will only stress your plant and set it back and make it take longer to get a sorrier harvest. Get your ducks in a row before you even sweat a seed so you have a basic understanding of the plant, what it needs and when it needs it and WHY it needs it. Everything you need to know is already logged here on the forum in multiple threads. There is a search bar at the top of the forums page that will pull threads related to any topic or idea or anything you could imagine, so you can read them and increase your knowledge base and find answers to issues. It just takes the time and effort on your part to do the work. The setup is only half the story. Got to learn how to take care of the plant. A little tip: It's all about the light.

We start seeds in late Jan or early Feb so by the time the danger of frost is over, but more importantly...there are OVER 12 hours of good strong sunlight every day, we have plants that are already established and are a good size and ready to go. Temper them to the sun over a day or two before you just throw them into the blaze, but after that, give them as much direct sunlight as you can. Light grows plants...very simple. The more they get of it, the larger they can and will grow.

The autos, I know nothing about. I don't mess with them because they are so finicky and easily stressed and their life cycle is genetically pre programmed. I want to veg them to my liking before flowering instead of them deciding when they're going to flower to get the best yield possible.

Good luck. TWW

5. thank you so much for the tip, i'll go ahead and check the threads out and try planting again late Jan.

6. In the time until then grab a book and start learning as much as possible. I recommend the Marijuana Encyclopedia by Jorge Cervantes. It's the best grow book I've read and will teach you most of everything you will need to know plus some. It will teach from seed to harvest, curing, making concentrates and edibles along with other cannabis infused products. It's the best investment into growing that you will make. The more you learn the less issues and wasted time and money you will have. Good luck and get ready for next year.

7. You start seeds as early as feb. dam thats early. How do control early flowering? Light supplements? I live in the so cal valley so frost isnt an issue but ive never planted in feb uasually may. But i was thinking april this next year.... Maybe 4/20ish. Is it still possible to do this without light supplements?

8. I have started seeds as early as mid January. The key is keeping them indoors until 1 June. If you put them outside earlier than that it's recommended to use supplemental lighting to keep the plants in veg. As long as they get enough light you have no early flowering and end up with enormous plants.

9. It's Southern California and most of what you think you know is flat out wrong..
    So Cal Growers Unite
    Here is the So Cal outdoor thread.. Lots of regular posters..
    [​IMG]
    Something like my veg shed is best at vegging up plants out of season and then tossing them outside to flower any time of year at all..
    With a bit of planning you can get 4 full harvests in the same ground sites per year..
    [​IMG]
    As the summer set finishes I'll reamend the holes and drop in the next set of plants in a couple more weeks..
    BNW

• Like Like x 2
  10. thank you, im checking out the thread right now!

11. Dammmmmm, that sounds wonderful, snowing in the mtns here.