First EveR Ice Water Extraction W/ PICS!

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by PurePowerPlant1, Feb 19, 2013.

1. #1 PurePowerPlant1, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2013
    Ok guys so i had roughly 1/4lbs of sugar leaves and pop corn buds of ak47 x blue berry. some of it was from an older harvest so we kept them separate and frozen them.

We used homemade ice, had lots of it, and we bought 10 gal of RO water.

The extraction took place in the basement where the temperature never got over 50*F and the RH is right about 30%

We made a drain bucket to hold the bubble bags, and set the bubble machine on a table right next to it.

We first filled the machine up 1/4 way with water and ice.

Then took our older dry trim and layered it in the work bag with ice

Then submerged the work bag in the machine and continued to add ice and water till the bag was fully submerged, the machine was a little more than half way full.

Set the timer for 6 min and let it spin away, after 2 minutes we noticed a lot of frothy white on top which was good.

When the timer stopped we let the water drain into the bubble bags (we used 7 bags 25,45,73,90,120,160,220)

Begin to pull each bag up one at a time, while the water was draining. Used a pump sprayer with ice water to spray down the sides of the bubble bags and collect all the trichs in the middle to be able to scoop easily.

Take the bag over to the collection station and begin to scoop out the hash from the first bag with a tablespoon. After scooping out the hash we laid it in a clump on a pressing screen on top of some paper towels to help wick the water out.

We repeat our steps for all bags.

Now we repeat our process with the next batch of fresh frozen sugar leaves and pop corn bud. We put all 3/4oz (roughly) into the machine, i think we should have split it into two separate runs.

The machine was up to the FULL line after we had filled it up with water and ice. Turned the timer to 6 min and let it do its thing.

Now we drain into the bags again, but this time we decided to fill up the machine wit more water and ice and do another shorter 4 min run while the other bags were still draining.

After 4 min we drain into the bags again.

We noticed alot of hash on the 90 micron i believe it was. THe hash looks pretty good the yield looks good too.

Now its just sitting in the basement temps around 45-50*F with RH at 30% we will leave it there for roughly 24 hours and then start he microplaning/drying/curing process.

Heres some wet pics for now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. We have to be logged into rollitup to see your pics. No good.

Nice guide though...

3. I can see all of his pics they look bomb dude how did it turn it grey?
    It must have been pretty cold in there seeing as how there's no chlorophyll in the end product

4. I went back and edited the pics , before you could not see them.

Thanks for the positive comments, like i said the ambient temp never got over 50*F and we used really hard cold tight homemade ice cubes and just above freezing temp RO water. We also wrapped the bubble machine in relfective bubble wrap insulation kept everything nice and cold.

Not sure why my product is grey, is tht a bad thing?

I know i made a few mistakes this round, hers what i think i did wrong.

-Used too much water and not enough ice, after re reading matt rize notes he states that its very common beginner mistake to use to much water not enough ice.

-Didnt put the drain bucket inside of another bucket , therfore the bucket did not drain properly made the process take even longer than it should have, hash was in contact with water longer than it should have been.

-On the fresh frozen stuff i think we may have over filled the work bag. also may have let it soak for a bit to long, we also did two washes and didnt sperate the first and second wash just drained them both one after another into the bags, this probably was not such a good idea.

After all that being said, i am making notes on how to make my process easier and more effecient. This run was the trial and error now i can kind of see where it is going

5. Well I think the reason it may have been grey is because it was in contact without water for too long, not a bad thing at all. I wonder if It would be a good idea to saturate the fuck out of the water with salt since it can get much colder without freezing if there's salt in there. And as for doing the 2 runs of hash without collecting in between, it shouldn't be a problem I think having multiple bags solves this problem since all your doing is giving it more time to be separated into different grades of hash (25, 45, 73, 90, 120, 160, 220)

6. Yummy, Hope your next endeavor has all the kinks worked out. Power up!

7. #7 Allred17, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2013
    hmm so much bubbble!!.. and dont worry we all learn over time n watchin other videos bro i wasted so much actual flower doing it but now i gain more n more each time i make a run.. extra hint... break ur ice cubes in more shatterd crystals . so when u stir the bad the crystal heads r hitting n bouncing of the jagged pieces of ice. the flat ice cubes give less lol i fuked up soo much doin it without crushing ice makes sooo much difference

8. Do not saturate ur water with salt lol.... Ur product actually looks good dude. It's that color cause its still wet. Let it dry a bit and it will turn more blonde or brown

9. Do you understand why I thought that salt water would work better?
    If you saturate your water with salt it makes the freezing point lower, which means you can get it to a lower temperature without causing a slurry.
    You could easily remove the salt from the trichomes by just washing water over your end product.
    It would also make the water much denser, perhaps meaning the leaf material would float and thus keep it from clogging the bubble bag with trim and make the extraction go by quicker.

10. Sounds like terrible advice. Thats like telling someone to clean their oil rig with iso and salt and then filter/evap.

Even if you ware gonna water wash it after, I don't like the sound of that at all.

11. Your post didn't even sound relevant to the thread?

12. You must not be that good at reading/comparing then.

13. Its loose trichomes not oil I could see how your irrelevant post could have made sense to someone who couldn't comprehend what I was saying.
    Salt is fully soluble in water, trichomes are not, just put some bags underneath the bag with your bubble in it and spray some water to dissolve the salt, leaving clean bubble hash, free of salt.
    Also It was just a theory when did I tell him to actually do it?
    I wondered if it would work because salt legitimately can allow water to get colder without freezing, this would work to your advantage because it would allow the trichomes to get more brittle and break off easier, while also freezing the chlorophyll and other plant matter.

14. Does anyone else notice I'm Blunter giving out terrible ideas in posts and yelling a people for correcting them?

15. Tell me when I gave advice to him? Did you not read the part where it says "I wonder if using salt water in bubble bags will make for a better extraction"
    Did anyone ever notice how bullscrog joins a thread, doesn't read anything and immediately assumes shit?