First ever grow

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Mile High E, Jan 30, 2013.

1. I found a White Russian bag seed and put it in a cup of water for a day then in a wet paper towel for two days and today I have it in MG seed starting potting soil...do I need to be lighting it now? and should I buy an HID kit or just use CFL's?

2. I would get it out of the miracle grow and get a 250 watt or 400 watt hid kit preferably one that's switchable for mh and hps

3. What kind of soil should I use and where do I get it? I knew not to use mg but it is all home depot had

4. do you have a hydro shop anywhere near your house? it will be your new best friend if you do lol i'm at mine like 2-3 times a week. if you can find any i would get fox farm ocean forest.

5. Does having an hid lamp make a big difference in the electricity bill? I'm looking at a 400w mh/hps kit, one lamp shouldn't be too bad for electricity should it?

6. [quote name='"Mile High E"']Does having an hid lamp make a big difference in the electricity bill? I'm looking at a 400w mh/hps kit, one lamp shouldn't be too bad for electricity should it?[/quote]

It depends on the electric cost in your area. Mine was about $20 per month, lights fans and all.

7. Yeah it's a little added cost. It's worth it in your end product though

8. You could progress your electric bill higher slowly by starting out with a couple cfl's if its a major concern.

9. Have you ever heard of SCROG? :confused:
    If you have then I believe that would work wonders.

If all you care to grow is one plant you could go cfls, but that stuff kinda gets hasty with all the bulbs, outlets, plug ins. Not for me personally. I would recommend getting a simple 250-400w light kit. be sure and get the MH and HPS bulbs!:D

SOIL:

you can buy large amounts of these things for cheap.
    Mix them together as you need.

1 part compost
    1 part garden soil (sterilized if you prefer)
    2 parts peat moss
    1/2 part perlite
    1/2 part vermiculite

Also "Mile High" if your in Denver,;) go look up 4 strains pipe and tobacco, they have a house blend of soil and say that you need not use nutes. :hello:

10. Fox farm... MC way too hot

11. Oh I'll rep fox farm all day, but some of haven't gotten their first batch out yet..

12. Should it be under light? Your safe to keep it dark until it starts sprout ing leaves and com ing out of the soil. You could even just keep it on a window sill or in light coming through a window until it's standing upright and the first round leaves are fully out.

Then for a week one cfl would suffice if you need the time to gear up.

These are minimal options imho, but first seeds ever grown were done like this and still to this day were the best ones ever.

13. I ordered a bag of fox farms yesterday. Starting out with cfls since I already had clamp lamps. This morning it started to shed it's seed and when I came back home later it seemed to be growing kind of sideways so I used a tooth pick to gently try to prop it up towards the light but one of the two baby leaves snapped off :( it is still green, is there anything I should do about it? Or just be patient and hope it'll make it? And for the future, when it is starting to grow sideways should I leave it?

14. I would just be patient and hope it makes it. If you just leave it alone aside from watering when it needs it, it will likely make it.

Seedlings are especially delicate, so in the future I would wait until they're a least a week old before handling them, but that is just me. Air circulation via a small fan helps the plant strengthen up quicker.

Plants grow towards the light, so your plant growing sideways is likely the result of it trying to get closer to the light. But without pictures, it's a bit hard to know if that is exactly the case.

15. Yeah you're right, I've been putting it by a window before I had lights. I am quite unprepared for this lol I am almost finished with "The Cannabis Grow Bible" it's helpful. I'll try to get a pic of the seedling, it looks like it's doin' alright. Small amount of growth since I checked 4-5 hours ago