First Ever grow ...from box to bud!

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by titankush, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Hi all
    Wanted to post up and introduce myself. Rec Cannabis is becoming legal in Canada, therefore, I'm starting a small grow box for my basement. May start growing before it's 100% legal but oh well.
    Started the box Sunday afternoon. (see the pic)
    It's 2x3x6 feet. 3 compartments. main grow flower area is 2x3x6 mother plant area is 2x2x4.5 feet.
    The 3rd area is for all the electronics(timers etc etc.)
    Going with VIPARSPECTRA V600 LED Grow Light for the main area and likely VIPARSPECTRA V300 for mother plant area. the whole thing will be lined with 2mm mylar.
    The exhaust fan is 4-inch carbon filter and will either vent inside the house or out through an unused clothes dryer vent.

1st grow will be Feminized White Widow in organic soil.

Any tips are appreciated.
    • [​IMG]
    Box Build by titankush posted Jun 26, 2018 at 3:32 PM

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Just a quick update. I decided that because this is my 1st grow that I won't be selecting a mother plant during this one. I'll just go from seed to bud to get the hang of things before I start clones. I got a notification that the rest of my equipment will arrive at my door tomorrow so providing work doesn't get in the way I should complete this setup and be popping seeds this weekend.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Nice box!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks...should have the doors on pretty soon..

• Like Like x 1
  5. quick question. Since I'm in the build phase of this box I'm considering wiring in a couple of sockets so I can augment the LED's with four or more CFL. These would be permanently mounted on the sides of the main grow area. Any thoughts on what hight to mount these at? What spectrum would you all recommend?

• Like Like x 1
  6. If you are dead set on supplementing with CFL’s, then why not get some T5 HO’s and mount them in the corners vertically? That way you could replace the bulbs according to what stage your plants are in and you’d get better coverage than CFL’s.

I would get some 2 foot 1-bulb T5 lights and mount them in the corners. Then use 6500 K bulbs for veg and change to a warmer bulb when flowering.

They also make them in LED.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Current Autoflower Grow

New 3x C4 Auto Grow

• Like Like x 2
  7. Thats a good idea...not dead set on anything, just thinking that because I'm in build mode right now might not be a bad idea to pre wire etc.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Just a quick update. Managed to finish the box over the weekend.
    Box ended up being too big and heavy to get down to the basement so I'm going to run it in my garage. Now I have to figure out how to heat the box. IF anyone has some ideas I'd love to hear them. I'll be fine for the summer but come winter I'll need to obviously insulate and heat it.
    Started the process of popping some seeds so grow will be in full swing soon.
    Popping the seeds in the top left compartment on a reptile heating pad.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Well my 1st grow is underway. I started germinating seeds late last week and last night they were ready to transplant into their final home. One thing I noticed is I had pre soaked the soil and when I went to transplant I saw quite a few patches of mold on the top. I scraped that off and went ahead with the planting anyway. I'm guessing the mold was because the moist soil was in the box, in the dark with no air circulation for a few days.
    I now have the lights and exhaust fan running so I'm hoping the problem goes away.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Welcome to g.c. fellow canadian.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Hello All. Quick update. Started sprouting seeds July 1st. Took about 5 days to have 2 of 3 seeds ready for planting(Paper towel method however it was too cool so it took longer than expected). Planted 2 in their final pots (Next time I'll go smaller solo cups at first.) After 3 days in soil one popped through and said hello. Sadly the other didn't make it. Here is my 1st born as of July 18th. This is white widow from feminized seeds. As I have the room I'm expecting some additional seeds today from cropkingseeds.com. I ordered up some northern lights auto and white widow auto. I decided to go auto so I can add to my existing grow and not have to worry too much about when I switch to 12/12 on my existing plant.
    I'm planning to go organic on all my grows. The soil in this one is 3 parts basic potting mix, 2 parts mulch, 1 part sheep manure and about 1/3 cup of chicken manure.

comments welcome

• Like Like x 3
  12. Hey good way to start seeds i do the paper towel method as well but put them on a plate with the moist paper towel then cover it with a dark bowl n put it on my cable reciever thats warm. It keeps the seeds warn n the inside of the bowl sweats . This way it takes 1-2 days everytime to crack open n have a long enough root to plant. 20180624_224236.jpg 20180624_224302.jpg 20180627_003803.jpg

Attached Files:

13. yeah thanks for that...I have a reptile heating pad that I used once I figured out it was too cool for them to pop

• Like Like x 2
  14. Hello All
    Quick update. Well I topped the one plant I have going. Think I jumped the gun and went to early. See Pic. Oh well it's already bouncing back
    I've also germinated and started 3 additional plants (Northern Lights Auto x2 and White Widow Auto) to go along with this one. Germination went like clock work so expect to see some green real soon. I'm hoping the timing on the Auto's will be that they are done close to or right around the time I switch to 12/12 to force bloom on the 1st plant.
    I also bit the bullet and installed an additional light (Viparspectra 600) in the main growing chamber so I'm pretty sure I'll have more light than needed.
    One question on spectrum. Right now I have both lights set to VEG (hence the blue) I note tho on lots of LED journals that folks are running both VEG and BLOOM at the same time. What's the consensus on that?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  15. well...plant seems to be doing well, did some LST and (accidental) supercropping. Looks like it's about to enter explosive growth phase

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1

16. quick timelapse that I've started...I'll keep updating throughout the grow. Foreground is northern lights auto, back ground is white widow photo

• Like Like x 1
  17. grow is coming along nicely...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  18. Jumped the gun on your grow so now the Kanadian Kannabis Kops, KKK, will be kicking in your door, shooting your dog and dragging your kids off to our slave labour kamps! rotflmao.gif

Nice build on your grow box. I could use that for my cloning station. ;)

For a heater you can get a little 500w baseboard heater and rig it up with a baseboard thermostat to to switch it on to keep the heat right in there. Just put some metal window screening over the top of it so leaves can't fall in. I got one for my grow room but didn't notice until I wired it up that it was 240v so it barely got warm. I have a 240 line available so will get around to rigging that up soon. Got mine at Home Hardware for about $30 and just wired up the thermostat with cords on each end to plug in the heater. Make sure you get the ones labeled for baseboard heaters marked 110/220v and not a regular thermostat as they run on 24v.

They don't give off intense heat and mount on a wall only sticking out about 3" so if you have a constantly running circulation fan going on in there like you should it won't cook the plants.

A temp/rh controller is good to have as well so your fan isn't running constantly as it will be sucking in cold air and blowing out the warm air from the heater all night long otherwise. Also keeps the heat and RH in a close range so it's not bouncing around. A speed controller on the fan is another useful option.

Good luck!

19. Great looking plants!

“Tyranny anywhere is a threat to freedom everywhere.” — someone awesome

• Like Like x 1
  20. Thanks.. picked up this

Will be grabbing a small baseboard heater or small fan heater this weekend as well as insulating the box. 100% on board that I need to control both the heat and exhaust in concert and am confident that this controller will do the trick nicely.