First Ever grow (CFL)

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by K.D, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Hi everyone, I've been a member here for a while now just gaining info (and confidence) managed to get all my stuff together and I'm good to grow now!

here's my setup:

0.8 x 0.8 x 1.6m tent
    Single 300w cfl (with reflector)
    extractor fan 110cfm? I think (carbon filter not attached atm)
    passive intake

Ill be growing 4 blue mystic (nirvana) fem from seeds, they are currently in the little pots I got with the germination kit from nirvana, have been since Saturday afternoon, so coming up for 2 days they're in the tent and under the light currently but no signs of life as of yet
    Temps have been sitting at around 26-28 C with 40-60 RH although it can get a fair bit colder in there when the light goes off (not exactly sure about 16-18C)

Ill be doing my best to keep the journal up to date often, I hope some folk can share their knowledge along the way with me :) Everyone on here has been a great inspiration for me!!

K

2. #2 K.D, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2014
    Day 3 - Looks like all 4 seeds have popped, planted in pots now( 3gal / 11.5 L) with soil tabs

View attachment 136500
    <div> 

</div>I hope she's ok, leaf looking a little burnt :s

3. #3 GanTheTrill, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2014
    Make sure you don't give them any nutes for a couple weeks, and make sure the light too close. Other than that looks good subbed. Make sure you let the soil dry out so the roots expand. Overwatering is common I guess? Anyways goodluck!

4. Thanks trill, I think it's actually a bit of the husk? Stuck to the tip of the leaf upon closer inspection (with my glasses on) lol

Sent from my LG-D802 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. Just finished a BM fem from nirvana. Enjoy man and good luck. I have a thread if you ever want to check the plant out

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

6. @punchreba   Cheers man that plant looks great I read through your journal last night was very helpful, wat was your experience will smell... I think I read something about it not being too bad?

Day 4 update: everything's looking good I've moved the light slightly closer as they seemed to be stretching out for it, and growing at an angle towards the bulb..... I've also been trying to top the soil levels up as they get bigger when I filled them I didn't realise the soil would settle a fair bit...

KD

Attached Files:

7. Let's see an update picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. @[member="GanTheTrill"] hey sorry man been busy lately not had a chance to get any up, I've updated my album and here's the latest shots as of day 8 and everything seems to be going ok!.
    I may need to put some posts to hold them straight instead of all growing towards the centre like that, also not sure what happened to that little leaf, none of the others are like that though so should b ok!!

Cheers
    KD
    View attachment 136713
    View attachment 136714

9. Very low odor during veg. If you rub her you will smell it up close with your nose to it but that its. Didnt really notice it untill late in bloom once it was ripe. Wonderful smoke. Take her 8 weeks. My pheno was a heavy hitter indica dom night time smoke? If you ever need sleep and fast, she will do it if you let her.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. Mine are 15 days old and i can definitely smell them if I put my nose close to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

11. #11 K.D, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2014
  12. day 14 - So 2 weeks in here's some pictures really starting to pick up pace now, 4 nodes showing on most of them now waiting for the next set to show up then I'll top them.

Attached Files:

13. Really starting to look like little pot plants now ;)

14. Looks really good. My first grow was Blue Mystic under cfl. The odor wasn't much of an issue. Good that you are keeping a journal. I regret not keeping records of my grows. Now I keep a binder next to the tent. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1397033295.364853.jpg

15. #15 K.D, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2014
    Day 21 - so the last week's been quite eventful, I've now topped all 4 of the plants (the first 1 on day 15 then the rest over the next couple of days) . They're all still looking good I also removed all the growth below the top (well all the nodes and small first sets of leaves) I wanted to top for 8 mains but I'm thinking it may take too long in veg so now I'm thinking I'll probably top once more for 4 mains, mainly just because I'm only using these soiltabs and I think they only last 6 week's or something.

Attached Files:

16. Day 28 ~ so 4 weeks in and my 4 mains from each plant are coming along nicely I'm hoping to really start flowering in two weeks so I hope without anymore topping they should pick up pace
    Just over the last few days I've noticed some orange Spots appearing, although they don't seem to be getting considerably worse some of the lower larger leaves are turning a light green and looking pretty sorry for themselves. I've attributed this the ph levels (I've been having a lot of problems trying to dilute the ph up down stuff into relatively small watering bottles, so I've got a big tub of water to work with now and have started to water them today with better ph water (I think it was a bit higher at 7~7.5?) I think I have it at around 6.5 now So we will see how they get on from here on.

KD

my first ever grow attempt (in progress)
    http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1292042-first-ever-grow-cfl.html

Attached Files:

17. Day 35 ~ so 5 weeks in now and last week's spots and yellowing seems to have calmed down, my fastest growing girl was the one that took the worst hit..... I had to take off most of the lower leaves on her (the main-lining guide I'm following said I was to remove all this anyway) I don't really plan on removing any more of the lower leaves untill they die off naturally. I guess the problems must have been ph related as I've got the water to a much better level now.
    Thinking of going 12/12 in a week I don't want them gettin too big.... Its not the space that's the concern, more so the cfl lighting. Been seriously considering getting a 250w hps but I think I'll leave it till next time... I thinking of going for autos next time round with some sort of perpetual grow......

Cheers,
    KD

my first ever grow attempt (in progress)
    http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1292042-first-ever-grow-cfl.html

Attached Files:

18. Hey KD, plants are looking good :).

Have you started to give them nutrients yet, just wondering if the yellowing is a nitrogen deficiency?
    Also what CFL are you using, is it a blue or mixed spectrum?

19. #19 K.D, Apr 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2014
    Hi buddy, I'm actually using these soiltabs from nirvana, they slowly break down over time in the soil...
    Th cfl is a dual spec 8u bulb spit 4/4 I've been unsure really if I'd be better with 300 of each as I guess it goes 150 blue n 150 red.... but I hear the mixed spectrum is good
    Thanks for the input!, much appreciated.
    KD

20. Yeah im using a CFL 250w blue going to put the 250W red in as well now I have extraction set up :) 

Maybe you could do with a bottle of canna mono nitrogen as a supplement...?

Have a look at this video 38 minutes in 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRsrXFahsVs