First Ever Grow - 120x Shots - Harvesting - Washing

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by dropinbiking, Aug 24, 2019.

1. So I've noticed moths flying around my area. Back in late june early july I noticed some chewed up leaves on my vegging plants. I didn't think too much of it at the time, but a while ago I found a couple caterpillars crawling around on my fan leaves. I removed them (2 on 1 plant, 1 on another) inspected the plants thoroughly multiple times, and haven't seen any fresh holes, droppings, or any new signs on any of the new growth since.

I've since realized how much these things can cause problems. The shit causing bud rots, the caterpillars themselves eating bud, all that bad stuff.

I haven't sprayed or done anything other than visually check and defoliate, and remove some of the damaged leaves. Here's a few (not so recent) pictures of the damage. I know it appears kinda minimal.

At this point, do I still have plenty of time to spray neem oil or BT to help improve my chances? I'm worried that there may still be some crawling around that I missed that will make it into the buds as they start to develop. My plants are still pretty early, I feel like I've got good odds.

Any input or information would be greatly appreciated. I've done some research and feel confident that I can still combat the issue. Any other signs of things I should look out for? This is my very first grow, and my late night stoned googling paranoia has brought me here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  2. Neem is more of a preventative measure. BT will destroy your caterpillars. If you're growing outdoors, it's almost impossible to avoid caterpillars, at least in my area. I neem every week but I still see random caterpillars, so I BT the shit outta every inch of the plant and do it again usually every week or two for most of the grow. Make sure you spray the underside of every leaf. It can be time consuming but you have to be diligent. Caterpillars are one of an outdoor grower's worst enemies, at least for me. Bastards, all of them!! And, if you saw 1 or 2, I'd bet there are more, or will be.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. BT once a week every week here in Southern California. The moths are relentless and so are the caterpillars.
    Running a bug zapper nearby helps too.
    Green Cure for the Powdery Mildew. Also once a week every week.
    BNW

• Like Like x 4
  4. I haven't found any powdery mildew. I've been checking them multiple times daily for signs of caterpillars, and everything else. That super late night stoned paranoia hasn't gone away I guess.

It sounds like it will be easier to eliminate the issue now before they get budding? If I'm correct it's once these bastards get into the buds, it makes them really hard to see and remove? I've honestly been up and down these three plants, 20 minutes a piece with a magnifying glass, pulling everything open and looking, don't see anything.

I'll give them a spray with BT tonight before it gets dark and go from there I guess.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Like I said my last visual confirmation was back in early july, and I haven't had fresh leaf damage since. What is the life cycle of these things? Or do fresh ones constantly land and hatch?

• Like Like x 2
  6. I haven’t seen any yet but I have BT on hand. I’ve been spraying Neem but I haven’t went to once a week yet.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Just spent some good time out there, finally tied off my third plant, did some other moving around and ditched a couple more fan leaves that were in the way of tops. Still no new signs of anything bad. I guess I should get done my trimming really soon and let them be? The third plant is wonky as hell haha it's so lanky compared to the other two, you'll see in the root structure and her poking up at the back in the last picture, it's the odd one out ahhaha. I gave them a good watering.

Should I stop any trimming and and cutting off new growth or let it be? I know it's still super early.

Could I spread these out more to maximize the light? I feel they are probably shading eachother during the day.

Sorry for the bad pictures too, it's bright as hell and my cell phone doesn't do well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  8. You might be a little anxious OP. I’m that way too and have to remind myself to let them be. If you are in a legal state there is nothing to sweat.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. #9 dropinbiking, Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    I'm in Canada, I'm good. This is just my first grow and I've hearing terrible things about these caterpillars. I do live in low lying swap area, lots of bugs and such, lots of factors against me.

I'm not depening on any significant yield, but it would be cool to make the most out of my first time round.

EDIT: About the light, would it be worth spreading each plant out further from eachother? I can move them into an area that gets shaded before sunset. Right now the plants see the sunset directly. Will the shade 1-2 hours before sunset help with flowering?

10. If you noticed moths flying around - you are infested.
    If you found 1 or 2 catties on a plant - you are infested.
    As your buds start getting close to finish, you will realize you've been infested the whole time.
    Grab some BT and apply it generously and religiously. You may be able to save some of your harvest.

What are you waiting for? Lets go, man!!!!! You were late when you got here!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. I'll spray them tonight, suns still beaming. I wanted to tie the third down and trim some shit first. Like I said I found three in the span of two days way back it they were pretty obvious, just followed the damage. Haven't spotted any since. I will start spraying and be on the daily look out. Moths and other flies just happen here, it is what it is. I live next to thousnds of km of swamp and low land and forest. It's dense.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Plants seem to be doing good. Spread them out a bit more. One has gotten a bit lighter green, the others haven't changed much. They've been taking a lot of water lately, but we just started what's going to be a few days of overcast weather.

Been thinking of putting them into the un heated garage overnight tonight because it's been raining all day and will continue to rain all night and into tomorrow.

I figure I can just shake the water off, put them in the garage with a fan circulating, and leave them overnight?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  13. Those flowers look nice, I know you are happy. :weed:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Yeah I'm a happy camper. Everyday they seem to be looking better and better.

• Like Like x 2
  15. They are looking good. @Ronhip nailed it though. Caterpillars start out so tiny all you see is the damage, you only see the older fat ones that are already leaving turd trails.

You'll find out they get top heavy in the rain as the buds swell. In the ground you have to cage or stake them but in pots like that it's easier to just move them in out of the rain. It gets really bad before they're done. A lot of guys will drive bamboo down into the pots for support. Anything beats coming out after a hard rain and finding all of your almost ready bud in the mud.

Good luck with you're first grow. It's the one you'll always remember...

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. plus if you can spray them weeds growing at the back of your grow ,there's bound to be a few nasties lurking in them as well ..mac,,

• Like Like x 4
  17. Maybe it's the climate here, but I've not had a caterpillar problem here in West Michigan. Each year I see a few, but they seem to clear out by harvest time... Never used BT but the way everyone swears by it, I will get some soon.

• Like Like x 3
  18. My part of West Michigan, cattys have infiltrated big time. Must be nice to garden where you are located hehe!

Sent from my KING_KONG_3 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  19. I found them as slimy as tiny bastards. No real caterpillars, I was calling them inch worms or whatever but yeah they will do damage quick. Yeah the yard is due for a good mow, was going to go out and rake away a bunch of fan leaves, and move the wood that they are sitting on. I want to get them away from the other regular garden because I'm pretty sure those plants are dying, I don't want my plants anywhere near that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Yeah you couldn't be more spot on there. It's been a real exciting up and down time. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too far, but at the same time, don't want to half ass it. I had some center stakes in the plants and had the branches tied to those, before I tied them down to the rim of the pot to pull them away. I'm wondering if I should ancher them both ways, from the bottom and from a stake in the middle up top. I have the option to slide them into a dark garage overnight with some airflow if it's going to be a heavy rain, but I'm sure I won't be perfect about it. Been trying to shake water off the plants the best I can after rain or in the mornings.

• Like Like x 2