First ever clone put in flower, issues within 48 hours please help

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Pimpinator, Jul 7, 2012.

1. #1 Pimpinator, Jul 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2012
    Hello GC, this is my first post as I'm more a lurker and try to rsolve any issues I have myself with research and similar threads but I'm drawing a bit of a blank with my current issue. I have just harvested my first grow in 5 years (only my 3rd ever grow) where I have managed to get 2oz from a Pure Kush plant I had donated to me and I took some cuttings from the flowering plant when it was about 3 weeks in flower. The mother had issues of her own but thats a different story and all was well when the cutting were taken. The cutting was left in a glass of water in the bathroom and 2 1/2 weeks later, there were roots.

This clone was then transplanted into a small container with the same cheap grow bag compost the mother had previously been potted up into. The clone was placed under 24/0 with a flouro tube (18w cool white) and it blossomed. After 3 weeks under the Flouro, it had enough shoots and was starting to grow normal leaves again after going through the deformaty stage, so I figured it was ready to put into flower (9" tall).

This week I repotted up into 3gl buckets, originally with a John Innes no 2 compost with 30% perlite which, after doing quite a bit of research, seems to work for a lot of people. I had concerns about the drainage of this stuff as it compacts but thought the perlite would help with this. It was then placed under my 250w hps about 12-15" away and it got its very first dark period as it was put straight into 12/12 from 24/0 which I've read is fine. My grow room is a closet, 2x2x7' with intake and outflow going into my loft.

The following day, I noticed some of the newer formed leaves on the top starting to get brown tinges to parts of the leaves, I thought it could have either been the roots being compacted or the John Innes was a little too rich for the clone. I also wanted to rule out heat stress so I moved the clone a little further away and monitored the heat a little closer (it did hit 90 on day 1), day 2 was 75-80. Day 3 of flower and the leaf crisping seemed to be spreading up the plant to newer leaves and also to the shoots so I've repotted again, got rid of most of the John Innes and instead have used a mix of 33% cheap grow bag it was originally potted in, 33% perlite, 33% John Innes. I am now on day 3 and am still concerned whether this is a nute burn, deficiancy, heat, stress or other issue so I can rectify it as quickly as I can and the newer leaves are now crisping and dying off from the looks of it.

Coule someone please offer some help and advice on this issue as I've always grown from seed and don't know if this issue is due to the fact its a clone, or something totally different. I have a few pics posted and have more available if required.

pics are from: pre-flowering, day 1, day 2, day 3, the pics with the tiles in the background are the latest from last night

Attached Files:

2. Your pics aren't showing up if not logged into RIU :(

3. I will add pics directly here shortly, I removed them off my iPhone so i need to get back to my pc which is a pain, but I do want this resolved and am grateful of any help / advice offered, please check back within the next few hours and fresh pics will be posted

4. pics have been attached properly so should be viewable now, any ideas?

5. Also, just taken some fresh pics as the lights have just come on, so pics of day 4 (with trimmed yellowing deformed leaves removed):

Attached Files:

6. #7 Pimpinator, Jul 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2012
    I don't think it's a ph issue, or not anymore, I think the new mix is a lot better and balanced and the bedding in water run off was the same ph as going in, and because its a slowish drainer (not as slow as the first soil mix), if it was really out of whack, it would have changed the run off a little bit. What makes you think a phos def? Ignore any discolouration in the bigger plant pictured, that had cold air blowing on it by accident 1 night and that purpled up within 24 hours (a little tip for those who didn't know how but want purp looking weed), had all sorts going on with that big bag sees pic'd with it herming, using DM reverse etc but that's a different story and that's getting the chop within a week. Also, the lower fan leaves which are yellow without the crisping I presumed were yellowing off while the clone was using the leaves nutes while growing up what looked to be nice & strong

Also, I've been through as many guides as I could find through the last grow and then since this started on the clone, the guides helped with the clones mother and the herm bag seed grow, but not many guides cover issued with clones and as clones are more likely to show issues earlier than than a strong normal plant would, I was hoping someone who does cloning might be able to help if they have encountered issues like these. I have moved the clone further away from the light incase it was a heat stress issue as day 1 hit 90f, day 2&3 have been closely monitored to 75-80f and it currently sits 22" away from the light

7. Pics taken just now in day 6, its now had 6 nights of darkness and hasn't grown any taller at all, I would have thought it would have shot up having previously had 24/0 light, sunted growth due to the issues???

You can see on one of the tips of newer top growth, that it has turned brown a little bit, I think this tip was just poking through the top stem when placed into flower so if it was heat, that tip could have also got it a bit, still not 100% though, need any more detailed pics, just ask and I shall provide.

Attached Files: