First ever CFL grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by JfromDenver, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Cool, thanks for that bro ;)

2. #62 bgsixxxniner, Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2011
    I always here peeps talkin bout doin all this soakin and waitin for them to sink... It does work...but ive had a 100% success rate by just droppin seeds in paper towels and damping w/water, then place in ps2 or dvd case. Check 2 days later and ive got 1/4 to 1/2 in taproots. Oh yeah put pap towel in slightly open ziplock b4 dvd case!!!

Your plant is lookin great bro. Keep up good work...im subd.

3. I've tried several different ways. The one that I find works best for me is to soak them in water in a shot glass on a heating pad, if it hasn't sprouted a taproot in 12 to 24 hours, then I put it in papertowel in a tupperware container on the heating pad. I've had 100% success with that.

4. I too use the wet paper towel or dish towel technique, I have had very good success with that. I just wet it and put it on top of something warm, usually my hot water tank.

5. I like your setup, nice and clean. But I am gonna tell you from experience, you don't have nearly enough wattage to get big tight buds. I was pushing 300 watts on my single plant grows. (actual watts). What resulted was a nice haul, I averaged about 2oz on my single plant cfl grows. That's not to say you won't get some decent smoke, but it would definitely be in your best interest to throw another 100 watts on her.

6. #66 pootanging, Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2011

Can i just use tissue paper? or does it have to be paper towel. Any other ways???

What about cotton? The cotton that chicks use to remove their make up?

7. I like using a sponge but same shit different toilet , you can use paper towels

8. awesome man WOW cfl's actually do the job im amazed by the looks of it your doing just as good as everyone else but slow down on your watering though , nothing but bad news otherwise
    just through pas experience its best to water every 4 days reason being the roots will search for water making the root system larger
    giving you more chance of yielding a decent amount of buds
    its like a fish it'll only grow to the size of the bowl other words grow to the size of your pot i recommend buying a 60Lt black rubbish bin you will honestly grow a fucken tree in there
    as always the only problem canna will encounter is us the cultivator
    you going to clone ????

9. Thanks, I was actually thinking just the same thing to myself the other day. I definitely want to get the most out of her and I am debating on getting more CFL's in there or to just say F' it and get a HPS setup.

I want to stay true to my $100 starting budget, but at the same time I hate to think what might have been :confused:

I can get a basic setup 1000W HPS ballast, 8" reflector, and Hortilux 1000W HPS bulb for $300 but that explodes the overall budget to $400 not to mention the electricity bill spike.

I guess I just need to decide if I can really afford to spend the extra $300 to possibly double,triple or even quadruple the amount/size/density of buds I ultimately get out of her. Plus there's that part of me that wants to see what I can do from start to finish under only CFL's.

I don't know maybe I'll start a poll....

10. Right on thanks!
    One thing I have stuck to on this grow is KISS (keep it simple stupid)
    From the seed to now its all really basic and the results have amazed me. Thanks 4 subbn

11. Ya with the watering schedule I have only really needed 1 gallon per week. It only drooped on me once due to lack of water.
    I do nutes every other watering and I definitely let it get thirsty b4 it gets any more water.
    i was thinking about cloning but I really don't have the expertise, or any more growing room to make a cloning set up so that will have to wait. I have 2 more seeds from this strain so hopefully in the near future I can get that going.

12. jfromdenver go over and check my grow out. I'm running 16 cfls equivelent to a 100 watt bulbs, and I pulled down almost 4 1/2 oz. off of three plants. I think my electric bill went up by like about 5 bucks.

13. hey Temp I just got done looking at your journal, I really like your set-up, and I'm going to be stealing your Y splitter idea to get more watts on mine.

I wanted to ask more about your light bulbs though, what is the actual wattage on them? My bulbs don't list any equivalent numbers but they are 55 watt, 3860 lumen, soft white 2700K.

I only have three of those CFL's right now so that would be only 165 actual watts, which isn't much i know. I plan to buy at least 3 splitters so I can add 3 more bulbs which would put me at 330 total watts.

I think then I would be able to get a really decent harvest since some people I know only use 1 400W HPS and they get pretty good results.

Anyways, your setup is much nicer than mine, I think I will design my next one a little better and more pro looking like yours, you can really take pride in the simple but clean and effective design.

14. Ok, well the buds are finally looking good in pictures, although still not as pretty as real life.

I plan on feeding the first of two rounds of Beastie Bloomz tomorrow. Then I will give it to her again after one watering with nothing in it. That should all take about three weeks, then I will start with the Cha-Ching nute for the final four weeks.

I should be harvesting around the end of October or start of November so hopefully I can squeeze some good nute feedings in there before I have to flush her. Lemme know what yall think....:smoke:

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      119.9 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      114.7 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      118.5 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      116.7 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      133.4 KB
      Views:
    • 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      116.6 KB
      Views:
    • 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      101.8 KB
      Views:
    • 014.jpg
      014.jpg
      File size:
      110.2 KB
      Views:
    • 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      File size:
      130.5 KB
      Views:
    • 016.jpg
      016.jpg
      File size:
      153.6 KB
      Views:
  15. Nice man I'm not to far behind ya so I like ur journal. They're lookin real nice!! And Beat dem Raidas!!!!

16. Thanks, as for the game - as long as we dont stink it up like last year I'll be OK, but we could really use a win on national TV to let everyone know the Orange Crush is back baby! :D

17. So I found the Fox Farms feeding schedule and i am a bit confused about how to handle this next feeding.

According to their schedule in this week I am supposed to give it:

2 tsp/G Grow Big
    2 tsp/G Tiger Bloom
    1 Tbl/G Big Bloom
    1/4 - 1/2 tsp/G Beastie Bloomz

I was thinking of doing it all except Tiger Bloom since I do not have that one currently.

I am planning on making 3 separate mixtures each with only 1 nutrient in them, I want to mix each nutrient with its own gallon of water so that the dilutions and ratios are correct.

Can I then combine the 3 different nutrient/water mixtures all together into a 1 gallon watering container to feed all at once, or do I have to water all three mixtures separately about a third of a gallon one after the other ?

Hopefully that makes sense, thanks in advance!

18. I use fox farm nutes and I add them all to my water at the same time. I actually use more BigBloom than the chart says. If you look at the directions on the bottles, they are quite different from the chart. But some strains are more or less nute tolerant and you have to be able to develop a feel for what they can handle. The chart is good because that is the low-end of the spectrum, almost any strain can deal with that, some plants can be dosed far more liberally, with great effect.

19. Check out my T5 grow, it's another option for lighting. That is how I upgraded from cfl's. I like it because there is less heat than HID, and it is more intense than regular cfl's. Granted, you could get more yield from an HID of the same wattage (I think, I have definitely not maxed the potential of my light) but not by a great margin.

20. dammit I'm such a spacecase I just mixed up the nutes according to the packaging and not the FF feeding table! :mad:

Oh well, like Hambone said the table is at the low end of tolerance so I guess I'll just see what happens...:p