First ever CFL grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by JfromDenver, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Congrats bro! Still waiting on mine to show

2. thanks Lars, how many days have you been on 12/12? Mine was exactly 8 days of 12/12 today and they literally came in overnight 'cuz I been searching hard for any signs and they definitely were not there yesterday...

also, the one in the pic are the only ones so far, i think I maybe see two more at the very top where i FIM'd last week but I can't tell yet.

3. I've been in flower for ten days. I see little bumps on one that I thought might end up being balls, but that was a couple days ago and nothing further has developed. I figured it would just happen overnight, bit I'm still in there constantly checking!

So is it pretty obvious when they are there? People keep saying to get a magnifier, but from what I see in your pictures, it seems pretty obvious

4. ya man, they are pretty easy to see with the naked eye, I was actually looking too closely at first and when I realized what I saw I had to back up a little to really see it, to really focus on it all i needed was my eyes, I can see them better in person than what the camera shows in the pics.

5. well I had a minor set back today when i discovered there was a light on in the grow room last night.

Does anyone know how that will affect my plant?
    It was just one 13w CFL up on the ceiling at least 4 FEET away from the plant top, but there was no actual "dark" period last night.

Since the CFL was so far away, so weak, and from what I've read everywhere CFL's need to be within inches to "light" the plant will this mistake even matter?

6. Also, I noticed I have several 11 blade leaves, is that something freaky? Usually I've had 7 and/or 9 blade leaves on prior plants does this matter?

7. #27 ChargerFan420, Aug 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2011
    Looks good man I can't wait until mine get there. And 11 is normal ive seen 13 and 15 b4

8. Yo J when u get some time check out some Jorge Cervantes videos he talks about watering and is pretty helpful u can find them all on youtube pretty basic but real cool stuff. Ive picked up a few things from them.

9. Thanks CF420, I will do that asap, I have his book the MJ Horticulture Bible so I'm looking forward to those vids. Right on bro.

10. Here are some new pics from today.

She is getting more pistils every day and is about 18" tall now.

Watered yesterday and gave her the first flowering nutes, some Fox Farm Big Bloom.

Ph was jumping from 6.5 to 6.9 in different spots but I figured since the nutes went in yesterday this should even out soon back to 6.1 - 6.3 where it has been since the start.

Everthing is looking good, I am noticing the alternating growth now as opposed to the symmetrical growth that happened during veg.

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      133.6 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      141.5 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      108.5 KB
      Views:
    • 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      120.1 KB
      Views:
  11. #31 Patswed420, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2011
    Ur plant lOoks good man!! I'm thinking about putting mine into 12/12 in about a week, check out my grow in my signature and tell me what you think!!!

12. #32 ChargerFan420, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2011
    looks good man Hopefully it'll be ready by the bolts/donkeys game, So you can fill the air with your sorrows after the aaaaa beating ur team gets..:) btw did u check out that jc 10 lb plant video..i can watch it over and over.

13. Hey did your plants ever recover from fimming? I thought I really messed mine up at first, but they turned out awesome after about a week or so. I think I was just really hesitant to cut up a perfectly good plant, but it all worked out after all.

14. Hey everyone, sorry I haven't replied in a couple days (due to my damn job), anyways to answer some questions:

I haven't looked at the 10 pound plant vid but I am definitely gonna look it up now, I did watch a few other vids and I found one about a white rhino plant on youtube like mine that really encouraged me so thanks for telling me about that.

As for my FIM'ing results, they seem to be doing great I have noticed about at least 6 or 8 spots that I think are going to be bud sites for sure and there are pistils popping from everywhere now. I can't really tell if I got 2 or more new tops because it is very dense up there and I can tell it will form a fat bud there now.

I also bent the stem near the top to LST it away from the upper light and it is responding pretty well to that also.

Here's some new pics from today:

Attached Files:

• 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      121 KB
      Views:
    • 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      109.5 KB
      Views:
    • 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      91.8 KB
      Views:
    • 014.jpg
      014.jpg
      File size:
      109.7 KB
      Views:
    • 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      File size:
      129.8 KB
      Views:
  15. Howd you keep your plant so stout without stretching

16. is that a reflector good for the bud? isn't that just a car sun shade? wouldn't another reflector be more effective? GrowFAQ-Reflective Materials i have read this same info from many other sources. anywho subbed. good luck. :smoke:

17. First of all, I think it's kinda wack that you linked to a different forum, but maybe I'll look at it sometime. the "Reflectix" I am using is similar to, but not an actual car sun shade. It is light duty insulation sold in many different sized rolls, very easy to shape and/or cut and pretty cheap so that's why I used it. It claims to be something like 97% reflective on the packaging.

Also, I really don't worry about the efficacy of my reflector because my lights surround the plant and stay very close, within 1" and sometimes even touching the leaves. I'm sure I could get a possibly more effective material but this was done on a $100 budget, and my first try with CFL's which is where most of the money went.

The roll of Reflectix was around $11 and once I cut it and stacked it on top of itself it makes a perfect little closed circle around the grow. I open it for pics but it seems to be working very well for my purposes.

Thanks for sub'n :wave:

18. Thanks for checking my grow Wake, I think my plant mostly stayed compact because I always had my lights directly on top of it within 1" - 2" inches.

It has some lower and side branches that seem to be stretching a little bit now because I had to raise the lights a few times before I finally decided to LST the main stem. The main stem keeps growing every night about an inch so I am doing the LST now to keep the lights as close as possible to the entire plant not just the top.

19. #40 WakeAnBake420, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Ight cool ive done that in the past on previous plants that failed an went male. But i got1 plant now thats about 5 weeks an i got one going that just sprouted 3 days ago i got the cfl right ontop the cup. So hopwfully i can keep this guy tammed an not let him stretch out. Im gunna make a thread prolly tonight about it