First ever CFL grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Purpkushh, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Alright so this is my first ever grow journal and my first grow! Im pretty excited about it and cant wait for them to start really growing.

My setup is 30 x 20 x 31 and i have currently 5 seeds started in fafarm seed starter and i plan to change them over to promix. The lights are all CFLs ranging from 23 - 55 watts, the current light system i have running is 7 23 watt CFLs (2 are 2700k and 5 are 6500k) the two 55 watt CFLs are 6400k full spectrum. Im using extension cords to hang and raise 23 watts but the 55 watts i have mounted at the top. I also have 2 usb 4" fans with a squirrel cage fan for exhaust.

The first of the 5 plants were started on dec 19th, another two were planted on dec 22nd and the last was recently about dec 30th. My local hydro recommend i use SuperThrive for the first few feedings, do you guys think ST is worth all the hype? Or causes problems later on? Also im waiting for the trio pack of fox farms big bloom grow big and tiger bloom. I also topped the one seedling to slow down the growing and i was also told the earlier the better!

Here are some pictures of my plants and set up:

Attached Files:

2. Do you guys think the flouros at the top are pointless and not really doing much for the plants? Im waiting on a new fan aswell because the box can go up to 33C with all the lights on. So i was looking at LED grow systems but i dont know them that well any advice would be great!

3. Looking good so far man. Rule for topping is like at the 5th node. You have a lot of plants to run them in just cfl's. You could deff upgrade your lighting.

4. wgar would u recommended, size and height being an issue i was worried about using a 150w hps so i was thinking about LEDs but theyre damn expensive

5. I just ordered an apollo horticulture GL100LED Full Spectrum 300W LED grow light should be here by Tuesday

6. Update on how things are going

Ive trandplanted the two autos into 8 inch pots, the auto i topped is growing nicely. Thr other auto is growing, but slowly. I have the trip pack of Fox Farm nutes being shipped and my 300w LED system arrives tomorrow. Bought a new fan for the box but guessing itll be too much now because of the LEDs.

Temp is staying around 28C and humidity is low, only around 25% having a hard time increasing it but the plants will help soon.

Got some pics aswell
    Will add some of the transplanted soon

Some pics for

Attached Files:

7. #7 NEFarmer, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2015
    You shouldn't top autos.
    Reason being they don't really have a veg cycle. They go seedling to flower.
    Topping slows growth and reduces yeilds.
    Autos are best left untrained and if any training is needed slight lst is the best option.

8. i know that now but the top is already done. Plants are looking good today

9. Attached Files:

10. Also had some yellowing before the leds arrived on the lower leaves:/ confused on whats going on! Some gnats still showing tho:/

Attached Files:

11. Anyone have any idea what the problem with the leaves is??

Attached Files:

12. My nutes arrivex today! Thanks to amazon i got myself the trio pack of big bloom, grow big and tiger bloom from fox farm!

Now im newbish so ive read up on ferts but im still not 100 percent on it, i have what appears to be three autos now going, one of the seeds mustve gotten mixed in with a bag seed, soo ive been told to be careful with ferting autos but i definitely have one photo period in need of something! The leaves are drooping and some of the bottom leaves are turning yellow and have brownish tips! Ill add pics soon but please someone help!

13. Looks like nute burn or over watering.

14. Quick update on how things are going! So the photoperiod on the back i just topped, its also very weak, so i have a chopstick holding it up with a fan blowing on it. I have begun feeding the plants, i was told to start slow on the grow big form FF so i used half of a teaspoon, my next feed will be a full teaspoon more. Ive also used big bloom and about 4teaspoons of that mixed in a gallon of boiled tap water. Unfortunately i havent picked up a new pH meter and a ppm meter. One of the bagseeds that turned out to be an auto is growing rather slowly and doesnt show many signs of changing. It also has yellowing leaves on the bottm but i believe it was from before.

Now this gnat problem wont go away, ive tried letting the plants dry, adding some sand to the top, and even apple cider vinegar. Theyre not leaving! I have safer 3 in 1 spray but im worried to use it what do you guys think?

heres some pics for ya guys!

Attached Files: