First DWC grow, slight concern about roots

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Taliz, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Good morning guys

Got a few soil grows under my belt and decided to get a dwc bucket going.
    Bucket is 20l
    Using general hydro nutes.
    2x airstones and an airpump
    Genetics is Dinafem Critical Kush.
    PPM is at 410 and PH is at 5.9.
    Water temp 68 to 70F

I am into day 15 and honestly so far so good or so i thought.
    My plant looks great and growing really fast

[​IMG]

But something about the plants stem and roots have me worried.
    Here is the stem of the plant, notice how thin it is just below the cotyledons but fat just above that, then
    I've also noticed that the roots themselves have gotten longer but they are thin and stringy.
    I haven't been taking many pictures but im fairy certain the roots were far more thicker?

[​IMG]

In this pic you can see how thin the roots are,even the ones popping out the side were far more thicker at one point. I could be wrong and seeing as this is my first grow but fairly certain the root mass is getting thin.
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic of them outside the bucket, long and thing. I inspected them closely, no funny smells or slime.
    Honestly they smell like nothing.
    [​IMG]

So could i have some form of infection and its in the early stages?

• Like Like x 1
  2. anyone?

3. Looks ok to me, it takes a while for the bucket to fill with roots. As far as the stem goes, have an oscillating fan going to create a breeze. It'll help it thicken up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  4. Your roots look fine man. They are white with no dark discoloration, and no slimy areas. Dont fret.
    If you want massive root growth soon, look at get some piranha and voodoo juice from advanced nutrients. You will be amazed at new root growth after a week of dropping it in.
    I'll take a pic and share as soon as my lights turn on in cabinet.

no expert, just a guy trying to make a bud

5. 34$ on amazon for a 250ml bottle of each, that should last you full grow.

6. Discolored slightly from micro nutes I use, but my roots looked a lot le yours a week ago. They've doubled ,even tripled, in size in some areas after 4 days use of the juices.
    20181209_091008.jpg
    Notice all the new shoots coming out of the bottom of the net pot though. They should all turn into root mains within a week or so.

7. Thanks for the advice guys, will grab a bottle.

8. Remember the lower the water temp equals more dissolved oxygen to prevent anerobic conditions. I have found that freezing water in 32 oz Gatorade bottles and dropping them in my water culture is good for 10 degree knockoff!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

9. Stem looks ok to me. Maybe a silicate additive with oscillating fan for sure. Need some air movement on it bro, makes your stems into stalks and stalks into trunks.

10. Ive been adding silica and i have a small 120mm fan her now.
    The stem is nice and rigid, was just worried that the thin bottom stalk was a result of the thin root mass.

My partner pointed out to me that as the roots grow further in the bucket logically they will thin out kinda like a stretched elastic band/taffy.

The plant looks super healthy and green, just newb concerns especially when you see other growers pulling out these massive root balls.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Here's a day later...
    20181210_223055~2.jpg

12. Sup guys, thought id give a small update.
    So the no1 thing ive come to learn about DWC is to be patient and dont compare your grow to other grows.

At the moment PPM is at 510 PH at 5.83 and temps are just below 70F.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. It looks like you have the lower inch or two of your net pot in the nutes, you want to lower that until it's about half an inch or so below the bucket at its most full. Don't want that sitting in the nutes.

Roots looking pretty good so far Taliz. You might just get some staining on your roots, it's normal with certain additives and stuff. Mine are a light brown color but by the time I get done mixing my shit up it looks like a gallon of sweet tea just about.

14. My additives haven't arrived yet, the plant just shot out new growth like crazy. Water level is an inch below the pot, just checked

• Like Like x 1
  15. Looking good man!

16. How those roots looking now?

17. Morning guys.

Well since i live on the opposite end of the earth,i ended up canning my order of additives as our postal system is fucked. Life in South Africa for you. Roots look INCREDIBLE!

18. Here is the plant.
    Ph at 5.9
    PPM at 570, but tempted to take her up to over 600ppm but im not sure.
    What do you guys think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Looking good at 570. Leave her and watch your ppms daily to see how fast she's eating.

None of the leaf tips look yellow or discolored. Shes loving what's she's getting now. Keep it looking nice!

20. I think next up will be a good ol FIM