First DWC Grow - Jock Horror and Blue Dream

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by madams9, Nov 23, 2018.

1. All I can see that I think needs adjusted is nute temp go down to 69 is optimal, and your PH is still to low, raise it to 5.9.
    Also cover the tops of the rooters that is algae starting to grow looks like to me.
    Oh one more thing, get some Great White for the roots or something along that line, makes healthy roots, stops root rot that will form at those high water temps.

2. Just ordered Great White root treatment.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jock Horror what the fuck is that yea it’s looking they got some Nut burn.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. It's a PH problem.
    Don't forget to cover all the way up with hydroton

5. The Jock Horror was given to me. It seems legit.
    Jock Horror Cannabis Strain Information

That plant grew so fast it forced itself out of the rooter. I kept waiting on it to die. It wouldn't, so I stuffed it back in the hole. It actually looks pretty good considering.

6. WEEK 2
    Check.

The Blue Dream is coming on hard, but still short. Light has been lifted to about 18" and the plant looks good. I'm assuming the plant is working to build a root ball. Roots look good, but they don't seem to be keeping up with the leaves. I have Great White root treatment ordered.

The Jock Horror continues to not die. Looking better. Obvious issues with roots and nutrition, but it's still in there trying.

Put an oscillating fan in the tent and opened a vent in the roof. I may have to get that extraction fan and ducting ordered soon. That's about the only way I can think of to try to control the temp in the res. I may also try wrapping the tank in some kind of blanket to insulate it. I don't have the time or freezer space to keep rotating bottles of ice in and out of the tank, and chillers are pricey.

I added about 1 gallon of degassed water this evening. Waited a few minutes and tested. I really need another 1/2 - 1 gallon in there. Degassing more water tonight. It's all just plain water, no nutes yet.

Tonight's final numbers are:

Tent temp. 83.8 ℉ <-- this should change
    RH in the tent 72% <-- this should change
    Nute solution temp 77 ℉ <-- this needs to change
    Total Dissolved Solids 577
    Nute solution PH 4.93 <-- this will change
    Light cycle (on/off) 18/6

I'm watching temp and PH. I anticipate another PH adjustment tomorrow evening. Will be shooting for 5.9 - 6.0.

7. Just checked the PH before going to bed. PH is up around 5.92. Other numbers are pretty close. Tent seems a bit cooler.

Will need to watch it throughout Week 2.

8. PH and nute temps are the most critical thing. Any higher on water temp without some protection will almost guarantee root rot, I learned the hard way.
    Cover them cubes or algae will eat you up too.
    Root balls come first, then explosive growth.
    I feeding 2 1/2 gallons of water per night and have been for a week or longer but the root ball is a 5 gallon bucket x 4 buckets.

9. #29 madams9, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Sounds like a nice grow. I'm starting out small. Looks like I'll be trending one plant on this project. The Jock Horror is still alive, looking better but not really growing. At least not yet .

I don't Have the numbers at hand, but I examined the Blue Dream closely last night. It's healthy and green with a surprisingly sturdy stalk and 2 very well developed nodes that seem to be growing as fast as possible. Root development is happening but slower than I'd like. Nothing to do but wait and watch really. Hopefully my order of Great White will be here this week .

2018-12-05 10.46.56.jpg

2018-12-05 10.57.40.jpg

Edited pictures.

10. Looks nice. Think you'll do fine with this one.

11. Happy Pearl Harbor Day.
    Thanks. I'm hopeful. The Jock Horror isn't going anywhere, but I am keeping it in the tent as a memorial to it's ability to hang in there.

My Great White is in the mailbox, so that will go in soon. In the meantime, numbers for today are:

Tent temp. 83.1 ℉
    RH in the tent 66%
    Nute solution temp 79 ℉
    Total Dissolved Solids 647 PPM
    Nute solution PH 59.50

Here's what the Blue Dream look like:

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Nute temp still high. Drop in a frozen 2 liter coke bottle in there every couple days.

13. Yeah, I'm sneaking up on that one. Dropped 2 tsp of Great White in the res tonight BTW.

I've tried some smaller bottles of water and they had no effect. And I'm not around to change them out every couple of hours. I'll upgrade to the 2-liter and try and figure out how to get it in the res without my tub taking a dump.

It maybe necessary to work with a warm res. I've been trying to think of/find some kind of simple blanket-type insulation for the tub, but I'm not seeing anything obvious.

If I had it to do over again, I believe I would go with 5-gal buckets instead.

14. Buckets and your res outside the tent. A RDWC. Any you can add a chiller if you can afford a 450 dollar hit. Worth if you grow in the summertime.

15. Making some changes and have noticed a thing or two. First, the changes. I'm floating several small bottles of ice in the res every 12 hours. They melt fairly quickly but they are bringing the temp in the res down for at least a couple of hours twice a day.

I've also opened up some ports in the tent so that it can at least circulate ambient air. Given temps inside and outside the tent, there will be some air change and I know that this lowers the RH and temp inside the tent. Now that the plant is bigger, I think it can handle the change. I'm working on scraping up the money to buy the fan, ducting and filter. Christmas is a challenge.

I've noticed some irregularities on the leaves. Here are a couple of pics:
    BD week 2 leaf spots 1.png
    I circled the areas in question in orange. These are older leaves that are nice and big and they were kind of trapped in the cup for a while. There is an oscillating fan in the tent and it's blowing on low but fairly close to the plant. I'm not sure it's critical, but I would appreciate the benefit of a more experienced eye.

BD week 2 leaf spots 2.png

Above is another shot of one of the leaves. It looks pretty good in that picture. I'm not sure it's anything to worry about. The plant is thriving.

Speaking of which, I counted nodes tonight. Am I wrong, or am I counting 6 nodes? If so, I need to lop a couple of nodes off and have a look at taking off some minor vegetation.

BD week 2 nodes.png

BD week 2 nodes annotated.png

Coming up on Week 3 here pretty quickly and this is supposed to be an autflowering plant. This plant is not supposed to be the 6 ft. monster that I was led to believe. It should be just about 3 feet over ~75 days, which is not bad given the vertical space in this tent. Not sure why Leafly showed the taller expectation, but they seem to be in the minority.

So, here are tonight's numbers:

Tent temp. 84.0 ℉
    RH in the tent 72%
    Nute solution temp 77 ℉
    Total Dissolved Solids 637 PPM
    Nute solution PH 5.94

16. Auto's, go to 20/4. RH will go down with ambient air from the room which is good and so will the temp.
    Those little brown spots could be salts buildup or where U didn't have the PH right. Change the water.
    Keep water temp as low as possible, increase air bubbles to make up for higher temps

17. Given the appearance of the rest of the plant, I'm pretty happy with the PH as is. These are old leaves and we'll see how the rest of the plant looks in a week.

I checked the tent at Noon and changed the ice bottles. With the ports open the temp was down to about 79 and the RH was at about 20%. That seems low. I moved a small humidifier into the room. A quick and casual look at water temp saw it at just under 74 degrees. That's about as much as I can hope for given my ability to swap out bottles. As far as aeration goes, I've got as much bubbling going on as I think I'm going to get - 2, 20-60 gallon aquarium pumps into a 12" stone each.

Going to hold off on changing water now since I'm making a bunch of other changes. The plant looks good. My only conundrum at this point is whether to top it today or wait until Thursday.

More tonight when I post official numbers.

18. You don't top auto's, lst em' only

19. Autoflowering plants can be topped and trained just like photoperiodic plants. Trouble is that the life cycle of these plants is short and they may not have the time to recover from the pruning before they have to start budding. I'm at a loss because I have no idea how this thing is going to grow.

I'm willing to not go with topping but it seems unlikely that LST is going to help if I don't top it. The likely alternative is to just leave it alone and let it grow. If I go that way, I don't see any advantage to what I'm doing with the hydro and tent - I may as well have just stuck it in a pot and treated it like a houseplant.

Still looking at it.

20. End of week 2 and here are tonight's numbers:
    Tent temp. 81.0 ℉
    RH in the tent 39%
    Nute solution temp 73 ℉
    Total Dissolved Solids 666 PPM
    Nute solution PH 5.96