First DWC Grow (Big Bud x White Widow)

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by ChillyWilly5, Jan 25, 2013.

1. IMG_1028.jpg
    Day 18

IMG_1029.jpg
    Day 18

IMG_1030.jpg
    Day 10

Happy about the growth. Changing the Res in 2 days (Sunday). Gonna try to give a nice 3/4 strength nute. Will also start topping plants. Growth look healthy?

2. Just did a res change. Pretty excited to see an up in PPM and how it will effect the plants. Will take a picture tomorrow and post.

IMG_1035.jpg
    Took a root shot for ya though!

3. IMG_1036.jpg

Day 21 Veg. Changed Res yesterday and upped PPM. Looks like they are happy to me. the plant on the left is really taking off. Dunno why, all res are the same. Cant wait to start topping and filling this screen up!

PS those fan leaves are HUGE. Bigger than my hands.

4. IMG_1039.jpg
    Day 24

IMG_1041.jpg
    Day 24

IMG_1040.jpg
    Day 16

IMG_1042.jpg

A nice shot of the screen.

Fan leaves are getting huge. I am thinking about starting to trim some of them, thoughts?

Does anyone notice any problems? pH to 5.7 swings to 6.0.

5. Don't trim them yet, when you do trim only trim below the netting. As for ph swing it can swing with water temp changes and also the dreaded algae.

6. Yes I don't see the pH swings being a bit of a problem as I see no visual problems with the plants really. I plan on starting to trim below the net, the big fan leaves just seem to be taking up a ton of light.

7. As long as u knock it back down, the plant will get the best availability of nutrients from the soup. I like to keep my pH between 5.5 - 6.0. and usually 5.8 - 6.0 for flower.

As for removing leaves, i try to tuck down or away at this stage. As the previous poster mentioned, you only want to be removing the undergrowth and the parts that won`t produce anything, re-focusing the plants energy to the top. And usually you won`t do it as you`re nearing the end of the veg cycle and around the beg. of the flower cycle.

Some growers will aggressively get rid of all the undergrowth and some fan leaves just after Week 2 and before Week 3(in flower), as the plants are stretching, this is where controlling the canopy and the undergrowth is important to them in a scrog.

Some growers will say that`s too late, and not to strip during at all in flower.

But i find that you can give a chance for some branches to reach up to the canopy as the plants are in stretch mode which is usually form Week 1 - Week 3 of flower. It becomes a little more apparent which ones are gona produce and which aren`t. Also, given the fact u are in hydro, the plants seem to rebound a little quicker, that`s why i do this.

:smoking:

8. Great info. Thanks

9. Sweet. Im gonna start a grow next week very similar to yours.

Mind throwing some pics up of your setup?

10. Just 3 5 Gallon buckets with a 400W MH/HPS and a 2x4x5grow tent.

11. Dont you have a ventilation and cabron filter setup? Thats what im interrested at

12. Yes I have a 6" Max fan and an air cooled hood.

13. IMG_1050.jpg

Day 27.

Just did a res change. Also started using Cha Ching as I will be switching to 12/12 in about 10 days.

Ladies looking bushy!

14. Idk whether is was the new nute batch or the Cha Ching but the plants look SUPER happy after yesterdays res change. Im pretty excited, I will post pics in a couple days because I want there to be a big difference in growth when I show you guys. Trying to bend and manipulate as much as I can to maximize yield.

I still havent installed my Carbon Filter yet because no smell during Veg. The filter is bigger than I thought...will fit but just expected it to be smaller.

15. My seed order from attitude just arrived. For my next grow I can choose from OG Kush, Sour Blueberry, Stacked Kush or Trainwreck. Im thinking Stacked Kush, Sour Blue and Trainwreck because I really want to make the OG Kush a mother.

16. Hey all, today is day 30 since seedling pop. I plan to put these guys into flower on Sunday. This will give 33 total days of veg. Overall I am very happy with the way my first grow is going. I am learning a ton and keeping a journal of everything I do.

PPM solid at 550-600.
    I pH to 5.5 every morning, rises to as high as 5.9 the next morning then I repeat the same process.
    Res temps have gotten as high as 72 only on a couple of occasions, I just throw ice in there and it drops back down.
    Room temps range from 68-79. RH usually between 40-60%.
    I also found a nice little Oscillating fan tower for only $20.

Last res change I did 1/2 str nutes with full strength Cha Ching. Think they really like the Cha Ching.

IMG_1052.jpg

IMG_1053.jpg

IMG_1054.jpg

17. You should really watch those res temps, it causes more humidity in the chamber and for flower, that`s not what u want. humidity is a breeding ground for bacteria and other stuff like mold(more evaporation and transpiration)

Not to mention the pH swings. i think u can safely up the ppm right now as they are getting ready to go into flower, this could explain why your ph is swinging so high as well.... they are drinking more nutes than water.

i`ve heard of blades mentioning Frozen gatorade bottles. they will prolly last longer than ice cubes.

but other than that...the plants are looking nice and lush. :wave:

18. Yea they really only got up that high maybe 2x for like 4 hours at most. Othere than that usually a stable 68 degrees. I will try 3/4 str nutes now. Thanks for your help.

19. Looking sweet and delicious. I don't wanna be a downer, but since you got your air pump below water level, you installed check valves in your air lines right?

20. Day 32 of Veg (since sprout pop). These plants are so bushy. I will be switching to 12/12 Sunday. I am happy with the super lush growth. Really can't wait to see these things take off in flower.

IMG_1061.jpg

IMG_1062.jpg

IMG_1063.jpg