First Dispensary Opens in Salem, MA Today

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by JiggyJax, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Great please update!! I'm from western MA. So you need an appointment? Do you just need your med MMJ card and ID to purchase?

2. Heard the prices are awful and the weed is okay at best .... Can you confirm this?

3. I canceled my appointment. Neither of their 2 available strains seemed appropriate for me and the 1/8 oz. minimum was more than I wanted to buy if it turned out to be no good for me. Plus half the excitement of going to a dispensary was to see a display case filled with multiple strains of leaf and edibles. This place doesn't even let you see pictures of what they sell. You get to see it after you pay for it. That's no fun.

All you should need are an appointment, your state mmj card and your driver's license (or whatever ID you used to register with the state for your card). To make an appointment you need to sign up on their mailing list (atgma.org). They send out emails with open time slots and then you have to email requesting a date/time. They then email you back a confirmation. Appointments all booked up quickly but this morning they released a few more for next week.

I can't comment first hand on quality/price but from what I've read some people hated both and others thought it was all good. $94 per 1/4, you decide.

Someone said more strains should be available in 3-4 weeks so I'll give them another chance once I know what strains they have then. They claim they can't advertise prices/strains but I think they are taking that a little too far. I read the regulations and it doesn't seem like they are prohibited from providing that information in a private email:

House Bill 1637

Section 37. No off licensed premises advertising

<br style="color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 28px;">a. No holder of a license of any class shall, directly or indirectly, personally or through any agent or employee, whether for consideration or gratuitously, cause to be published in a newspaper or magazine distributed anywhere in the commonwealth or to be broadcast to a radio or television receiver in the commonwealth, or to appeal in any display signs or personal solicitation, or any manner of advertising, any advertisement or notice to promote or encourage the consumption of cannabis.<br style="color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 28px;"><br style="color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 28px;">b. The preceding shall not apply to the following:<br style="color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 28px;"><br style="color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 28px;">(1). Cannabis packages, crates, cartons, or boxes of Cannabis packages, provided, however, that no such items shall be used for any display, ornament, or fixture on the licensed premises.<br style="color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 28px;"><br style="color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 28px;">(2). Logos contained in private correspondence or publications not intended for public distribution.<br style="color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 28px;"><br style="color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 28px;">(3). A single notice reading “Authorized Cannabis Outlet,“ in a style to be prescribed by the authority.

4. Thanks for the info, I think I'll wait a month or so. I grow my own, more of a curiosity thing. I wonder if they will be selling seeds/clones....

5. This new bill includes the following provision:
    Patients or caregivers with valid cultivation registrations may purchase seeds, seedlings or rooted or un-rooted cuttings from a medical marijuana treatment center and may share or barter seeds, seedlings or rooted or un-rooted cuttings with those patients or caregivers.

There is a hearing on this bill on July 14, 2015 at 1 p.m.. People should go. It also allows 10 patients per caregiver and some other good stuff.