First Closet Grow W/ Pictures (Need help and input)

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by alexscraig, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Goodlookin Benzo...He is right Alex ,you dont want to over water. MJ likes more of a humid soil than wet soil. As the plants get more vegitation they will uptake more nutrient. I would suggest letting the soil dry up some. They look like they are the verge of blowing up. Keep a close I on them ..if they start to droop water them then. But not alot, just enough so that a little runs out the bottom. And yes before you water them test the weight. It is best to water them right before they get droopy. These seedlings are lookin nice and healthy bro..good job :D ..and on your LST those shoots will turn up towards the light ..dont worry man..;) Keep it up ...its lookin good.

2. #42 alexscraig, Mar 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2009
    Tips appreciated. Compliments even more so :D

I watered them just before I read your replies, bad timing lol

But, I figure it's all good. I just gave them their first dose of Grow Big along with the all-round fertilizer. I'm gonna let the soil dry for quite a while before the next watering since I got the nutes in there.

I figure the pots are about 1/3 cubic foot from the amount of soil I used to fill them, around 12 inches in diameter. I water about 1/2 gallon to each pot each watering. Is that too much water?

On a different, strange, note...my lights have started to attract some mutantly huge mosquitoes or some shit. Need to invest in a flyswatter for those things they're scary.

3. Whats the drainage like on the pots? Are there holes in the bottom of it?

4. #44 alexscraig, Mar 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2009
    I got the pots from a garden supply store, but I cheaped out on the saucers cuz I didnt have enough money. I'm using plates under the pots right now and for all I know could be plugging the drainage holes (there are 6 or 7 around the bottom of pot.) Like I said, for being 4 days since the last time I watered, just a few inches down was pretty wet.

5. Cool as long as there is drainage. I use 6" plastic pots, and I have to water every 30 hrs or so right now. I give them each roughly 2 cups of water at a time. If I go any longer than that they droop heavily. So I guess its something you have to feel out. I'm sure you'll be fine. And yeah that LST will get you a bushy little beast. Goodluck man:p..If have a question that your not getting answers to, you can always pop in and ask on my thread..Rnd#2..the other is finished. I would be happy to try to help:D

6. Thanks man I think it's more the hours that I post at than anything. Your grow looks plenty nice I can't wait to see it play out.

7. Thanks man:p...everything I learned on the first round is helping this round along very well:D..watch by the time your girls are finished flowering, you'll be an old pro already.

8. #48 alexscraig, Mar 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2009
    I have looked and never really found an LST step-by-step pictorial. So, I'm going to create one inside my journal here and hopefully people can find it.

This is going to be the second time I LST this plant, and I am posting a picture of the stem after the 1st LST and before the 2nd (this one).

Picture 1: Overhead view of the plant before doing anything.
    plant1-1.jpg

Picture 2: My stem as it currently is, before the 2nd LST.
    plant1-4.jpg

Picture 3: Planning out where I am going to place the hook.
    plant1-2.jpg

Picture 4: Overhead view after I place the 2nd LST hook into the soil.
    plant1-7.jpg

Picture 5: Shows the angle I have set for the main stem to curve back towards the light. (This is a 90 degree angle and so far it is working fine, most people keep it at around a 45 degree angle.)
    plant1-6.jpg

Picture 6: 72 Hours Later, 3 days.
    plant1-overhead.jpg

Hopefully this will help someone trying to grasp LST for the first time as I wish I would have had something like this while I was researching.

9. #49 alexscraig, Mar 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2009
    Just wanted to throw a little but of an update out there. I'm down to 3 plants. Two have been growing very well and the third one has had a lot of stress in it's life, it's really little. I have been nuting the bigger two at 1/4 strength for 2 waterings and 1/2 strength today. So the next watering will be a flush. Also, I got some more wattage since my last post. Let me break down everything:

1. 2x32watt t8 48inch fluorescent tubes
    One at 6500k, 2750 lumens
    One at 3000k, 2950 lumens​
    2. 6x27watt CFL at 5500k 1400 lumens/ea
    3. 2x30watt CFL at 3500k 2000 lumens/ea
    4. 1x63watt CFL at 2700k 3800 lumens/ea

Totals:
    Watts: 349
    Lumens: 21900

With only three plants that should be good until flowering I hope.

Pictures.
    I'm doing a bit of an experiment here. On one of the plants I started clipping the older, bigger fan leaves in order to provide unobstructed light flow to the new LST growth. On the other one, I did not do that.
    We'll see how that turns out in the next week.

Plant #1 (the one that I DID NOT cut fan leaves off of)
    plant1-lst.jpg

Plant #2 (the one that I DID cut leaves off of)
    plant2-lst.jpg

All the lights set up.....
    set up.jpg

Attached Files:

10. #50 alexscraig, Mar 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2009
    Day 4 of Flowering

I haven't started looking for sex yet, I'll probably start paying attention after 10 days.

Plant #1
    plant1-side2.jpg

Plant #2

plant2-middle.jpg

Plant #3
    plant3-side.jpg

Attached Files:

11. lookin good man!:wave:

12. Way to go Alex!:cool:..what is that one plant in, a curtain? Nice work on the LST:hello:

13. Looking good Alex, LST is the way to go. You have some nice stout indica dominant plants there. I just posted my journal yesterday, I am 3 weeks into flowering with LST too. The hooks work well at the beginning, I used paper clips for the first week or two. I like to let the top couple of inches get pretty dry and the have a tendency to pull the hooks out when they get bigger. I solved that by using string/twine and drilled holes through the sides of my 3 gallon pots.

I trimmed off some of the fan leaves coming off the main stem on mine too, but I am regretting it. Next time I am going to tie the fan leaves off to the side, they are the power plants to the rest of the lady and I think they would do better with them on. I know that the LST guide in the beginners section says to do it, but that should only be if they are resting in the soil. If you use string, you can always make a bigger loop and let the stem be higher away from the soil.

The sex should start showing with those indica plants in the next week. Males will usually show a little sooner. I have some thai sativas that are just now starting to sex, and even then they are hermies.

Come check out my grow, there is some good info in there. I will keep checking back with you.

14. #54 alexscraig, Mar 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2009
    Thanks for your comments guys I appreciate it. I've been getting male vibes since I planted these things, but hopefully that won't be the case.

Plant #1 and #2 are the 2 most proficient growers of the 4 or 5 I planted.

Plant #3 (the littler one) was shocked from transplant more often than it was growing when it was a child, so it's lagging a little behind. That being said, I was really surprised when it went from 3-4 inches to about 12 in a really short period of time.

It's in one of those re-useable "green" grocery bags. I had to put that masking tape around the outside to give it a little bit more of a solid form though. I think it's working pretty well actually, much better than I expected. Also, it takes up much less room width-wise than the huge pots the other two plants are in.

I agree with you Jinnate about the hooks. They work fine but rarely stay planted in the soil exactly where you want them to be. I just don't have a power drill so I couldn't use the string method, next time I'm definately going that route.

I also agree about the fan leaves. It made it much much prettier to look at from cutting off the fan leaves, but I have braches coming off of the stem that stretched like 8 inches just to get themselves into the light and above the annoying fan leaves.

What most new growers don't know and I am only starting to realize is that nature is pretty powerful. If you just leave stuff alone and don't feel like you have to be changing something or modifying something, like the super stretched stem looking for the light, things seem to right themselves.

15. That's a great idea with the re-usable grocery bags. The sides are breathable and it gets more air to the roots. There are some bags/pots that I am going to get soon. I think they are called smartpots. They are supposed to work wonders for the roots.

16. I'll give it up, for the big, nice top down Bushy pics. Keep 'er Green......Alex..........;)

17. #57 alexscraig, Mar 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2009
    Thanks WWM, I appreciate it man. I am pretty sure I have 1 boy and 1 girl as of now. "Plant #3" hasn't shown me anything specific yet, but I am 90% positive about the other two. Pics tomorrow when the girl(s) wake up.

18. Try for close ups, of the top branch intervals....:D

19. Unfortunately my camera just cant zoom in close enough and still be focused, so I can't post sex pics. I'm 100% positive on the two that have shown me enough, i'm just waiting on the short one. I am pretty sure I can see some balls sacks on that one as well.

I'm just happy I got a female at all. It might work out for the best with just one girl. That will be like 350 watts for one plant. She will be happy that's for sure.

Also, it just happened to turn out that the one female was the one I would have picked if I could have only picked one. She's a beautiful, lush little girl.

Watered with FF Tiger Bloom for the first time at full strength today.

About how long of a span of time is it from the time preflowers show to when the actual buds start growing?

20. hey man, search around on your camera for the Macro Setting, its usually a Flower Icon. Most newer cameras have this feature allowing focused close-ups. Its made for taking pics of real tiny shit. Zoom in macro doesnt always go together so you gotta get in there sometimes. i hope i could help, if im repeating info from earlier in the thread, sorry.:rolleyes:

but check it out:D:wave: Stop by my journal sometime alex