First Closet Grow W/ Pictures (Need help and input)

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by alexscraig, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Hmm. My nutes are going to arrive today. Being on a low budget, the 50 dollars I paid for them is telling me to make a soil that can allow me to use the nutrients right away. Can someone link me with a soil mixture that is pretty solid? Or, is there a well-known pre-mix that allows for nutrient addition at the time of planting?

2. you can alwayes add in your own sources of nutrinets, bone meal, blood meal, premanufactures mix-ins. some companies make an all around dry mix that has a little ov everything,(ocean-forest)

3. #23 alexscraig, Feb 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2009
    Went to work and came home to something weird.

My biggest and best seedling is acting weird. See for yourself. My search brought up low pH as the possible cause. My pH meter, although shitty and not completely trustworthy, was reading low, like 3.5 or possibly lower. Does the picture fit the ailment?
    numba1plant2.jpg

I also have a different concern. I have a seedling (2nd most developed size-wise) that hasnt started to grow its second set of leaves. On the other hand, I have a little guy that just sprouted that is already starting to grow his 2nd set. I figured out, with a little help from thelynx, how to take somewhat good close-up pictures. Im going to attach picutes of both of the plants and you tell me if its normal for a plant to grow that much and not to have started to grow its second set of leaves.

little guy.jpg This plant is 1/2 an inch tall. And sprouted 36 hours after the one without it's second set of leaves. (Note the second set of leaves HAS started growing in on this tiny, young plant.) That half yellow leaf has been like that since it sprouted.

notsprouting.jpg This is the plant without its second set of leaves.

sleepy.jpg This guy is just kinda sad still.

I need some diagnoses my friends.

Attached Files:

4. more about your picture taking..my manual/closer setting suck on my camera..
    i found the setting that works best for me..then just zoom in the part of the pics i want
    and save it as a different file so i still have the original but everyone gets to see the
    fine details...so what im sayin is get further away and zoom in a little later..
    ive been using my flower mode and just zooming in and cropping after uploadings my pics

5. #25 Creeps, Feb 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2009
    Sorry sorry....I am here...lost my internet for the night...:rolleyes: Hey Bud I wouldnt worry about under developed leaf sets just yet. They all seem to come up a little different at this stage. I have this one Indica strain that didnt develope those second leaves until after the first set had like a 3 inch span on it:eek:. As for that droopy one maybe you should try removing the top of the cup, cut it down lvl with the soil, or try to add some more soil to give it a bit more support. And as for the nutes WW hit it on the head. Other than that just make sure you dont overwater them. Have you figured out your lighting issues yet?

6. Yeah but the issues keep coming it seems. I bought 3 CFL bulbs, ~100 watts total and made an inclosure, but now I have serious heat issues inside the inclosure so much that I have to take one side off completely. That doesn't make it a very functional inclosure. I also bought three 3 gallon pots, some Ocean Forest and Black Gold 100% worm castings. I mixed them at a ratio of 2 to 1, Ocean Forest to Worm Castings. I repotted the three biggest plants into those and watered them up with some B1 (lessens shock) and some distilled water I bought today at the store. Something weird, when I was repotting, a couple of the older pot's soil smelled like pure ammonia. Also, when I pulled up the most developed plant, I realized that I had not completely taken it out of it's previous container, I just kinda pushed the old one into new soil I guess, idk. That would have caused some root problems in the near future if it hasn't already.

Long story short, as long as I keep my incloser incomplete, I should have some very excellent growing conditions from here on out.

Any makeshift humidifiers plans floating around?

Pictures tomorrow.

7. I am glad to hear that you got the FFOF, you will notice a big improvment. Maybe you should consider building a different type of cabinet. How stealthy do you have to be?

8. #28 coffeeandherpes, Feb 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2009
    Hey alexscraig, you should really look into getting at least a circulating fan on those little buggers. Any type of desk fan will do, just so as it has a low setting. Just a small breeze will do them wonders, and you don't want to put them in the middle of a tornado or anything.
    Now is a great time to buy desk fans in my area, since it's the middle of Winter and no one needs to cool off.

When you fully enclose your grow, heat will continue to plague you unless you add in some intake and exhaust. Personally, for a small closet grow, I think building an enclosure is worth the 5 or 6 hours of time to build it (if you're a newb at building stuff like I am, it shouldn't take longer than this to build a simple box). Lumber isn't too expensive, around here a 4'x8' sheet of 1/2" plywood is like $6. They'll cut it to your specs free of charge at most lumber yards as well.

Why is building an enclosure worth the $50 in lumber and hardware and the few hours of time? Because it allows you so much control. You can easily control the humidity, temperature, gas exchange, air circulation, and odor. You don't need one now, but it will not hurt to start gearing up to install a carbon filter in your grow. A grow box will make this really easy.

I love MS Paint, so here's a quick drawing I hope will explain my point better:
    [​IMG]

I had a blast building my cabs. With no prior experience, and pretty much just a drill, you can build some very functional cabs (although they may not be much to look at). Building your own gives you the flexibility to build to your space requirements, instead of trying to fit your grow into a pre-build cab. Plus it's fun :D Just another way to get invovled in your grow.

9. #29 alexscraig, Feb 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2009
    So, I have been constantly upgrading since I started this journal. I just went and got a 30 dollar humidifier that actually allows you to set a percentage for the humidity (sometimes walmart is cool). I also got 2 fans, one for exhaust and one for intake. As I said yesterday, I replanted my ladies in huge pots so that I wont have to replant them again. Got my humidity up to 60% and my temperature I am still trying to regulate properly, which is pretty hard. Sitting at 78F right now. The problem, I have determined, is that my closet, when the door is shut, has absolutely no air circulation. So if it gets to 85 in the room, even with fans there is no way to cool it down becuase the available air is all 85 degrees. I don't have the ability to alter the house at all, guess I will just deal with it.

Picture Update.

This guy, which is the one that didn't wanna grow his 2nd set of leaves, is now crying out for help, and I need to know what's wrong. dying.jpg

She's growing beautifully. nuteburn.jpg

This one is still really small but hanging in there. (Planter of the small guy is just sitting in the bigger one for right now.) 3 and 4.jpg

The 2nd set of leaves on Droopy doesn't appear to have the same problem as it's first set. Also, are the little white dots normal? plant3 (2).jpg

Intake Fan sitting on top of humidifier, exhaust on top. setup.jpg

Like I said, I don't know what to think anymore.
    Also: Thank you to everyone that has offered ideas and suggestions so far, and please keep it up. :cool:

Attached Files:

10. What is the proper humidity to have it at, if I can control the exact percentage?
    Also, the temperature, should it be closer to 70 or closer to 80?

11. Hey bud...when did the leaves first curl up like that? Its looking alomost like the root is damaged. And that spot on the other one doesnt look like nute burn...below is a pic of what what nute burn looks like....Maybe it is juast random damage.

Attached Files:

12. DSCN0347.jpg I am thinking that this one is a goner. I think you're exactly right about the root damage, I just transplanted them the day before the leaves started to curl up. Does root damage heal?

I don't think I am going to build a new enclosure for this grow. I'm leaving to visit Ohio in june or july and I plan on starting something nice when I get back. I don't have anyone to look after the plants while I'm gone, so I can't leave in the middle of a grow.

Also, not too worried about #1. A little damage won't slow her down.

Attached Files:

13. Ouch..:(...maybe put them in indirect light. And try watering with a mister...looks pretty rough.

14. #34 alexscraig, Feb 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2009
    Alright. I am glad to report that we have some major growth.
    We are at 8 days from sprout at the moment.

Plant #1 (not named as of yet) plant1.jpg
    Same plant here, and I am waiting for 3 leaf sets to start my LST. Can someone tell me how many leaf sets this guy has now? leaf sets.jpg

Here is plant #2 (still not named because my only named plant, Droopy, suffered a catastrophic event of unknown origins and now is very nearly dead) plant2.jpg

Plant #3, in the small pot. plant3.jpg

Plant #2 and #3 together, 2and3.jpg

Droopy, aka dumb bitch for dying on me. (took scissors to those dead leaves in a failed attempt to stimulate growth in the new leaves) dyingplant.jpg

I'm just waiting for dumb bitch to die so I take take plant #3 and plant her in the pot.

Please reply and tell me how it's going. Any advice, suggestions, questions, anything!! :cool:

15. #35 alexscraig, Feb 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2009
    Plant #1 [Someone tell me if I have this straight. In the second picture, there are currently 2 leaf sets, and when that growth in the middle pushes itself up, there will then be three leaf sets?

plant1(2).jpg

Plant #2
    plant1.jpg

Plant #3
    plant2.jpg

I got these seeds from bags collected over about 2-3 weeks and threw them all in the same spot to save them, mixing them. Is it safe to assume that seeing the difference in leaf structure from Plant #1 to Plant #2 that there are at least two different strains in here?

Even if not, it's just amazing how they all grow so differently...:smoking:

Attached Files:

16. see the cooler thing to me is that it could possibly be the same strain but different types of it, this is what is called a phenotype often times having different smells or tastes to the finished product or just growing differently

17. I am too impatient sometimes. I couldn't wait any longer so I tried to start my LST today.

First try at LST, how did I do?

Plant #1
    plant1-1.jpg
    plant1-2.jpg

Plant #2
    plant2-1.jpg
    plant2-2.jpg

18. #38 alexscraig, Mar 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2009
    Well, I believe that I am making pretty good progress, but I would like to get your guys' input on this.

Plant #1
    Overhead view: plant1overhead.jpg
    LST view: plant1-lst.jpg

Plant #2
    Overhead view: plant2overhead.jpg
    LST view: plant2-lst.jpg

Plant #3
    plant3overhead.jpg

Please, please, answer these questions.
    1. Are those the typical results about 3-4 days after starting LST?
    2. Are the new lst nodes going to curve themselves upwards like the main node does when it is tied down?
    3. I really don't water that much, about once every 3 days. When I dig down a little bit i still feel the soil border-line soaked. When do you know when it is time to water again? When the top soil is dry? In my case, the soil on top, up to about 1 inch deep, is entirely dry, but when I dig down a couple inches or a little less, the soil is still pretty damp if not wet. Some pointers on watering, please. (I mean, in the pictures you can tell the soil is pretty dry on top.)

19. dont overwater..ud be better off having it more close to completely dry than being wet before u water again. you want the roots to go looking for that moisture at the bottom..more roots=more plant=more buds
    other than that..do yo thang. looks fineee

20. i feel like the best way to do it is to feel how heavy the pot is before you water it..and how heavy it is after and wait for it to be that light again before you water, also sticking your finger in about an inch and a half once its dryin up hit it with some water