First Closet Grow w/ Bag seed (pics)

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Rejected Medium, Jul 11, 2009.

1. #1 Rejected Medium, Jul 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2009
    Okay, So im new to THIS forum. Been a long time frequent lurker. I have been growing outdoors for about 10 seasons (or years) but due to a recent change in my housing, my new apt is lacking a backyard that could sustain even a few plants. Although, I do have 2 orange trees.. lol I thought my groing days were over for now mainly because I have only read about growing indoors and never actually tried it.

I ran across some good smoke 2 weeks ago and discoverd about 10 seeds out of 7.5 grams, at first i was pissed but then I remembered the extra room in my house that has 2 nice sized closets!

I germinated 7 of the 10 seeds useing paper towel and a ziplock. I never hear ppl mention that method here. Maybe its not right but I have always done it that way.

On 7/4/09 I planted the seedlings in the soil. I used blue SOLO cups with drainage holes. no nutes yet. just tapwater that has been sitting for 48hours.

Light is set on a timer to 18/6.

I got 2 55w 5000k (240w equiv) CFL's which I am currently using. . I also picked up 2 27w 5500k daylight cfl's to use once i move off the shelf.

My current setup
    • Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil
    • FF Big Grow
    • 2x 55w 5000k CFL's. Plus 2x 27w 5500k
    • timer
    • 10" fan

I am pretty well read up on the indoor growing, just never attempted it. I will be cloning the plants before I go into 12/12. And will dispose of the males after sex can be det.

My intentions are to have a 4 to 6 plant propetual crop with one closet for veg and the other for flower. The veg closet even has a nice little shelf for the little ones, and later will hold the fan.

These pics are of the plants at 6 days old (from germination) I will provide weekly pic updates and would love to discuss in between.

Attached Files:

2. #2 txtoaz, Jul 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2009
  3. HAHA! yeah I was almost embarassed to show that pic. the new system will be a bar and chain setup. although dont be too quick to judge the hanger lol, it seems to to the job the lights are zip-tied on.

thanks for the input.

4. DAY 8

So far everything looks to be going well. I have noticed a few of the plants are growing faster than the others but in my past experiance, this happenes a lot. and 2 may be "special" and need to be put down.

Im thinking about LST'ing this batch of plants. I need to get a digital thermometer / hygrometer as im not sure what my plants are being subjected to. I live in the deep deep southern regions of hell (aka louisiana) and it is well over 100 deg with insane humidity levels :eek:.

Im going to transplant them in the next 4 or 5 days.

Pics from left to right

Fist pic, All of the plants as of day 8. they all look good ecept for the one in the far left top row cup.

pic 2, shows a close up of the weird plant. Im not going to continue to grow that one. or mabe i shoul just to see what happens.

pic 3 4 5, the rest of the girls. minus the special one.

Attached Files:

5. #5 Rejected Medium, Jul 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2009
    Update

DAY 12

I transplanted the whole nursery 2 days ago into new larger pots. I would guess they are (4) 10" square with (2) 7" or 8" round. No nutes yet.

I know I need to get more lights. I currently have 2 lil girls sharing one 55w 5500k cfl and 4 ladies sharing 78watts of 5500k cfl (26x3). they are growing but I know i need better lighting.

Does anyone have any ideas about getting the best bang for my buck with CFL lighting for a 6 plant closet grow? I would like to get 3 105w daylight CFL for the canopy and 6 mabe 8 26w'ers for the undergrowth. Then repeat the same setup for flowing only with 2700k softies. I have priced this out and I could get a HPS/MH (interchangable) with digital ballast for arround the same price. I guess the only major dilema is heat ventolation. I can not cut holes in my walls because I rent. And I could move the whole opperation out into the spare room, but that defeats the whole grow mission I started with. I want to invisibly grow. I know that if I move it into the room which is 25' x 25' I will end up with 30 plants and a pot forest. I guess i should keep that in mind... lol

ANYWAY.. They are growing. and the temp is at 78 all day (should it be higher for day or night?) and what causes this plant in the last photo to grow twisted leaves (last photo)

thanks for viewing and any help!

Attached Files:

6. #6 Rejected Medium, Jul 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2009
    2 weeks

Thought I would post some update pics. I got annother 2 26w cfl. I still need more but 156watts is working for now. I ordered 3 105w 6000k cfl should be here in a week or so.

all the ladies are doing well. one seems to want to grow crooked twisted leaves.
    Thanks for looking.

Attached Files:

7. Thought i would update the photos.

Things seem to be going well so far. temps are at a constant 77. Im going to go find out when the best time to start topping would be. 5th set of fans?

Anyway thanks for looking.

l [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. 3-5 sets of fan leaves are good times to start topping, are you also going to LST them?

Edit: Your plants are looking great so far. Nice job +rep

9. I plan to LST them. Im still deciding how i want to train each plant. Im thinking about training the main stem on 3 of the plants and on the 2 that seem to want to stretch i might top than lst the 2 shoots.

thanks!

10. Looking great man , keep it up =) K+ pump up the wattage if your tempertaures allow for it ;)

11. #12 Rejected Medium, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2009
    Day 24

Okay. Things are going well so far. lots of new growth. As soon as my new lights (105w CFL) i ordered show up I will be transplanting the last time into 3 gallon pots. I dont like to transplant so much, but I dont want to run out of room. One of the plants seems to have Nitrogen def. I am going to correct with blood meal

I will start LSTing them all as soon as I can make up my mind if i want to go that route. i may just LST one and top the others.

The bigest 2 are nearing a foot tall and the other 3 are just a little shorter. All have new growth filling in on the lower nodes. I hope to see 7 leafers soon!

Sorry for the big pics, thanks for looking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. This is day 31 of the grow. I topped the 2 big plants and started LST on the the 2 smaller ones. I have one short bushy plant that from the looks of it is a diff srtain. Im going to wait and see what it decides to do. It has just as many nodes as the rest but is low and bushy.

Im only going to lst 2 of the plants. I know that this is going to make flowering harder because of the height differances but my lighting setup will still work well.

13. I got home from work today and went to check on the ladies. when I entered the room I noticed it was very hot. The A/C had turned off and my therm read 99. one of the plants was not to happy, her fans were all relaxed and touching the dirt. I felt the soil and all were bone dry. i went and grabed my water and gave them a nice shower. turned the A/C on and looked over each plant. by the time i got done inspecting the plants the one that was looking droopy had perked right up! she looks happy as can be now. whew...

ill have pics up in a few

14. :pHell yea thoses look awesome , way to keep up the journal. Your plants will thank you for any transplants , and I love the big pictures , looks better that way.:D

15. Nice save there R. Medium. I've had a couple of close calls with low water levels in my hydro system. I turned in to a life saving marijuana medic and saved its life just in time. I mainly want to mention how nicely formed and healthy your plants are looking. I think the CFLs are doing the job too. I started out with CFLs with the clip on metal shades and I had nothing but success with them. One light and shade per plant. Again, nice looking ladies there and keep us posted.

16. #18 Rejected Medium, Aug 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2009
    Okay here are the new pics. day 32. As you may notice i am down one plant. It had not been growing at all and the leaves were all twisted and deformed. In favor of less plants per wattage I opted to put her down. It was hard to do but it was for the good of the grow.

Im hopeing all will be ladies but you never know. I plan on another three weeks of veg.

I have started to lst the 2 smaller plants and they have responded well. I have topped 2 of the larger plants. My temps are staying arround 79 - 85 depending on how hot it is outside.

Oh, And when i was taking these pics my cat tried to eat one of the leaves on my biggest lady. BAD CAT!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. #19 Rejected Medium, Aug 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2009
    Next update comeing soon

18. DAY 41

I Upgraded my lighting to 10 26watt 6500k CFL for a tot of 260 watts. I think it is doing well.

I also transplanted the Gals into 3 gallon pots. I used Fox Farms ocean forrest soil. I also went to the hydroponic store to get some nutes. The lady there directed me to Roots Organics Buddha Grow. she said all her plants love the mixture. It is a mixture of :

Buddha Grow ingredients include:
    Bat Guano
    Worm Castings
    Soy Protein Hydrolysate
    Kelp Extract (Ascophyllum Nodosum)
    Molasses
    Yucca Extract
    Humic Acid

We'll see how that works. I have heard that FF grow big is easy to burn your plants with. even at 1/2 dose.

I have included pics of the 2 plants I topped. One of them started to react just as a plant that was topped should, but then i noticed it shot up a new top. so there is 3 growing tips? mabe a FIM? i donno

The LST is going well, I plan on circleing the pot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]