First closet grow...bagseed

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by FarewellSoLong, Jul 16, 2012.

1. #1 FarewellSoLong, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2012
    Hi and thnx for stopping by to my amateur grow. I would like to create a complete journal. This site is great because like most, I'm a visual learner. I plan on putting any future $ towards growing instead of going through a middle man lol. Direct to the source, my spare room, ha. I've already stopped purchasing and will try to wait for harvest. I think that will give lots of incentive to get this right the first time.

I started with the intention of just watering and maybe adding some regular fertilizer. The more I researched the more I realized why my last grow went so horribly wrong using incandecent bulbs in a closet lined with tin foil. Don't laugh too hard lol. All I got was tall and spindly with cotyledons. Next grow, a few years later, actually grew one leaf set but since it was on back porch, there was significant stretching. In the end, they all needed support.

Which brings me to my 3rd attempt. Hurray for the internet. I may not be modding my home, or purchasing tents, but I think I'm putting forth a valiant effort.

Supplies:
    POWER STRIP x 2 – HomeDepot.com - Belkin 6-Outlet Power Strip
    HEAVY DUTY REFLECTOR x 2 – HomeDepot.com - 10.5 in. Brooder Clamp Light
    REFLECTOR x 2 – Amazon.com - 150-Watt Incandescent Clamp Light with 6-Foot Cord
    2700K x 4 – Amazon.com - 42 Watt Energy Smart Soft White Spiral T4 Light Bulb
    6500K x 4 – Amazon.com - 42-Watt Compact Fluorescent High-Wattage Bulb, Daylight
    SOCKET EXTENDER x 2 – Amazon.com - Two Outlet Socket Adapter, Black
    OUTLET CONVERTER x 4 – Amazon.com - 660 Watt, 125 Volt, Outlet-to-Lampholder adapter Brown
    Y SPLITTER x 2 – Amazon.com - 15-Amp 660-Watt Twin Light-Socket Adapter, Ivory
    MYLAR – Amazon.com - Emergency Mylar Thermal Blankets (Pack of 10)
    BASE MICRO NUTRIENTS – Amazon.com - pH Perfect Micro (1-Liter)
    BASE GROW NUTRIENTS – Amazon.com - pH Perfect Grow (1-Liter)
    BASE BLOOM NUTRIENTS – Amazon.com - pH Perfect Bloom (1-Liter)
    BLOOM NUTRIENTS – Amazon.com - Big Bud Liquid - (250 mL)
    PH DOWN – Petsmart.com - pH Decrease Formulas
    TIMER – Amazon.com - 24/7 Dual Analog Timer Power Center
    QUICK GARDEN – HomeDepot.com - Windowsill Greenhouse Kit
    PERLITE – HomeDepot.com - 0.31 cu. ft. Perlite
    RIVER ROCK – HomeDepot.com - 0.5 cu. ft. White Marble
    SOIL – WalMart.com - Hyponex 2 cu ft Potting Soil
    NUTE MEASURER – Amazon.com - Dose Medicine Dropper
    WATER TESTER – Amazon.com - TDS Water Quality Tester with Auto-off Function
    PH TEST – Petco.com - API Freshwater Master Test Kit
    2 ½GALLON CONTAINER x 8 - kroger bouquet bucket, I drilled maaany holes.

Light cycle 18/6

AND THE JOURNEY BEGINS...

Germination 6/27
    Planted 6/29[​IMG]

[​IMG] Day 2 7/3/12
    View attachment 927916
    View attachment 927917

[​IMG] Day 3 7/4/12
    View attachment 927919

[​IMG] Day 5 7/6/12 - Why is big baby leaning to the side? lol what the what?
    View attachment 927920

[​IMG] Day 10 7/11/12 Got a regular garden growing here lol
    View attachment 927924

2. [​IMG]Day 13 7/14/12 - They seem to have grown overnight...Big baby has a brown leaf beginning...HELP!

View attachment 927937

[​IMG] Thanx for the help @NoNick

When I posted the pic of Big Baby's Brown Leaf he said not to worry about the leaf yet, however, I need to transplant asap. I checked, and roots are indeed showing.

View attachment 927940

3. #4 FarewellSoLong, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2012
  4. #7 FarewellSoLong, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2012
    Hi, can someone help me with a nute schedule? I'm not giving the recommended dose just yet (still at about 1/3), but I would like to know: Do I nute one day and flush the next. Or could I nute during the week and flush on the weekend? Ooor, flush during the week and nute on weekend, unless I detect a deficiency? I'm leaning towards the latter. Thank You!

5. Fed the toddlers with 6.0 ph and 6.2 ran off.

Jan started doing some kind of curl under and I thought it may be because she was back in the corner and not getting much circulation.

[​IMG]

While Big Baby and Tiny Tina were reaching for the sky

[​IMG][​IMG]

So I changed the setup.

[​IMG]

I like it, and it makes room for the two seedlings coming.

6. #9 FarewellSoLong, Jul 18, 2012
    7/17/12 I guess Big Baby, Jan and Tiny Tina are all different strains (planted from collections of donated seeds) because they are all growing with different characteristics. Big Baby stands up tall (with gale force winds), Jan is just the darkest green ever (takes beautiful pictures) and Tiny Tina lays flat and curls under making her look like a spider IMO lol. I have not been getting much (any) feedback, so I'm going with nutes on the weekend (at 1/3 strength until more is requested by the tots) and flushing during the week. Any advise is welcome. Thanx for looking...

7. I cannot tell from your last pics if the cotelydons are still attached and feeding your ladies.
    Generally nutrients aren't added untill the 3rd or 4th set of nodes.
    The cotyledons provide all nutrition required untill they brown and die.
    There is nutrients in your potting soil (I hope this doesn't make havoc)
    My personal opinion I would feed em yet

Familiarize yourself with the weight system for watering/feeding:
    Water till runoff and lift pot (remember how this feels)
    Wait till dry before watering again (pot will be really light)
    This makes the roots "hunt" for moisture more.

Anyways thanks for checking out my shit.
    Hope to see some of your dank in the next 3 months. :D

8. #11 FarewellSoLong, Jul 18, 2012

Wow, I'm honored. Thnx for stopping by. I was just checking your threads out. Nice!

Yeah, the cotyledons are all yellow, and on one they have dried up. I did not begin feeding until then. I have been getting advise (elsewhere) also stating that maybe I'm feeding too early. I will heed the advise, its just hard because there seems to have been such explosive growth after feeding.

I water my house plants the way you suggest so it makes perfect sense. Thnx again for stopping by.

9. #12 hemi4spd, Jul 18, 2012
    With a combination of starvation causing the roots to search and proper nutrients when you do feed. The growth is even more explosive. more roots=more fruits
    The boys at GHS use this technique and it works amazingly well. MJ likes to dry out rather than a continuously damp condition. (easy to get rot in the root system)

Go ahead and feed, you should be fine to especially at reduced strength.

Oh another tip. Nutrient company's all feed heavy. Keep that in mind when you make full strenghth. 99% of the time full strength is usually too hot for most plants.
    They want you to use the shit up fast so you come back for more.

You may want to try watering at 6.2 to aim for runoff of 6.5.
    Not quite ph perfect now is it? Lol.

10. Great, thnx for the follow-up. I was just searching, but can not find..how do I rep you?

11. In the upper right corner of the post u see the scales?

12. Done. Thnx for the feedback.

13. #17 FarewellSoLong, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2012
    [​IMG]Day 17 7/18/12 (They're sexy and they know it!) LMFAO!

[​IMG]BIG BABY
    AM
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    PM
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]JAN (SHE'S STILL LOOKING LIKE A CRAB/SPIDER)
    AM
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    PM
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]TINY TINA
    AM
    [​IMG]
    PM
    [​IMG]

14. Appreciate the side profile pics.
    Your definitely safe to feed.

15. #19 FarewellSoLong, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2012
    Just for you :wave:
    Do you see a hint of yellow/brown on Jan's am pic. Is it possible that's from overfeeding or maybe the soil ferts? I noticed just now while I was in there talking to them and breathing on them lol

16. We should link up and share advice, I planted my indoor seeds the same exact day you did. And our grow rooms are similar. Glad I found someone on the same level :)