First CFL Grow - Indoor

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Caymen, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Status Update:  Hey all, first time grow here.  They are all random strain as this is my practice run.  They are on week four of veg.  I know they are a little small, but that is because I just started getting 'em some light.  They are rigged up in my closet with 7 adjustable reflectors from Home Depot suspended above them.  Right now, we are currently running 10x 5000k 1,600 lumen bulbs, and 2x 2700k 2,800 lumen bulbs, for a total of 21,600 lumens.  We have a pack of 6400k 4,200 lumen bulbs on the way and plan to add a few when they arrive.  For air, I have an oscilating room fan, as well as a modern room fan/purifier blowing across the plants.  I coated the inside of the boxes, as well as the walls/doors, with aluminum foil for better reflection.  If anyone has any tips for a closet grow or a cheap smell solution for flowering time, please share it with me!

Inquiry:  So I was looking at my plants this morning and noticed a slight yellowing on the outside of some of the leaves.  More..light green than yellow.  I am guessing that this is likely a nitrogen deficiency.  The plants have been growing in organic soil and I hit them with their first dose of fert. just last night.  I even noticed purplish/dark dots forming on one of the oldest leafs on one of my plants.  Hopefully the fertilizer will fix them up.  I'll attach pictures of the setup and of the leafs. Can anyone reassure my that this is what's wrong, or tell me what is?  Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. I am going to add a few more pictures of the yellowing on the leaves.  Can anyone tell me if this is normal?

Attached Files:

3. What dose of ferts did you give and what kind?

4. What are you using for fertilizer? It looks like lack of nitrogen. I would start giving feeding a every other watering. The light spectrum you are using could be affecting them. I haven't seen anyone use 5k bulbs. 6400 are the bulbs for veg. You can use other spectrums but it doesn't help any. They are better off under 6400's. Do you have any air movement? Add a fan or two with one oscillating. Air movement helps the plants breath.

I grabbed some generic Miracle Grow Fertilizer from the local target.  The solution is 24-8-16.  I know it is easy to burn plants with MG so I gave them a 30% recommended dose diluted in 1 Gallon of tap water that had been sitting out for 24 hours.  Should I start upping the dose and/or frequency?  They just received their very first fert dose about 36 hours ago and are week four veg.  I know they are small, but that is due to poor lighting conditions up until recently.  They have been growing much nicer the last 3-4 days.

I thought it could be the light spectrum as well.  I have 6500k bulbs at 4k lumens each due to arrive tomorrow, a twenty pack.  Should get me in the right spectrum and poost my lumen output to aroun 40k.

I have an Oscilating fan on one side of the closet and a room fan on the other side! The closet is about 6 feet wide.  They seem like they are getting pretty good air flow. 

I will attach another image I just took this evening!

Attached Files:

6. I would throw the MG in the trash. Go buy some organic fertilizer. Earth juice makes a bottled nutrient that you add to a gallon of water. They sell it in hydro stores or online. It's organic and is a good fertilizer. I would recondite it over MG and your plants will look a whole lot better. Also read up on organic growing. If you build a proper soil you can get away with just watering with plain water. An organic tea every few watering does great to boost the plant. It seems complicated at first but once you learn the ins and outs it is so much easier and healthier. No man made chemicals or salt build up. No need to flush at anytime. No plant lockout.

What did you use for soil? You need to find something with just nitrogen. If you can find some fish emulsion feed that to the plants. It's fast acting and a great source of nitrogen. Beware it smells very bad. It works great but don't over feed the plant. They additional light will be a great help. I would just use them and get rid of rest. They aren't helping and will just add unwanted heat. Make sure that the fan it hitting the plants. It also helps make strong branches. What are your temp and humidity. They should be 70-85 f and 30-70 humidity.

7. Plant's don't need any nutrients until there at least a month old and are bigger than that, i wouldn't feed anymore at all and hope they don't burn they'll be fine with what you gave them, chances are the quality of the soil is low and it's a little nitrogen def,

8. Could be the picture but the plants look to be magnesium maybe. Veins staying true and leaves paleing out a bit. Could just be the pic thoSent from my HTCEVOV4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. DifficientSent from my HTCEVOV4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. I wouldn't say its nitrogen deficient, your soil has plenty of nitrogen in it especially for such small plants. your issue is pH, MG tends to run pretty acidic so its locking out nitrogen, amongst other things.

Be careful of immediately writing off deficiencies as not having enough fertilizers. this is a common mistake, even amongst experienced growers. so ya, ditch the miracle grow. stuff is trash.

11. I'm using an organic potting mix from the local Orachard store, so I am not so sure there is much nutrition in their.  I have checked my PH, both the water before watering and the runoff after.  My PH is between 6.5-7.  I've only hit them with one 30% dose of MG, so I am doubting salt lock out or acidic lockout.  I gave them nutrients because they were starting to look a little hungry. 

I agree though, from everywhere I have read; MG is not the way to go.  I hope to ditch it as soon as I scrape up the $$ to pickup up some organic stuff from the local hydro store.

I thought that it could potentially be a Mag deficiency as well, so I intend to post some more pictures along with this posting.  If you could kindly take a look at tell me what you think?

I plan to make a trip to our local grow store to pick up some soil as well as Earth Juice fertilizer or some other Organic nutrient supplement.  So I will never need to flush my soil with organic nutrients? 
    Right now I am using a MG "organic" potting soil mix.  The temperature is about 75* and humidty within those ranges. 

Inquiry: Besides the one with the obvious deficiency, can anyone note anything else I should be concerned about?  I noted the leaves on some of my plant look much thicker than other plants.  Is this just genetics?

Attached Files:

13. Yeah leave size is random when growing bag seed. I have a grow right now with bagseed and they all three look completely different.

14. Good to know! All of mine look very different as well.

15. So, going off of the recommendations of GC users; I went down to the local hydro shop and picked up some fox farm ocean mix soil and some nutrients that seem to come highly recommended.  Conveniently they were also from my college town ;] so that adds a sentimental perk.  My pots were pretty shallow, so I transplanted them into the same 1'x1' pot but added about 3" of fox farm soil to the bottom of the pots.  Some of the roots exposed during the transplant at the top of the pot (3-4 small ones) I hope this doesn't hurt anything.  I gave them their first full nutrient dose today mixed in a gallon of water with the nutrients featured in the pictures (The small one is a root growth accelerator).  

I also went to Home Depot and picked up some more power socket extentions and 860 Lumen 6400k 13w CFL bulbs and put them in a chandalier array with the other bulbs, increasing my over all lumen output and temperature spectrum.

I am hoping that these steps will boost my babies growth as well as cure of the deficiencies seen in previous pictures!

Attached Files: