FIRST CFL grow- follow along

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by sholler, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Im growing in my spare closet that i painted flat white, with 6 blue 6400k CFLs, while they veg, then switching to red when they show sex (autoflowering). I replaced the white plastic with an aluminum bake pan because the plastic was getting too hot. While they are seedlings i am placing them in an all white box so no light can be lost.

also, i water with tap water that has been filtered through ZERO filters, giving it a zero ppm rating. Currently they are on a 24/7 light cycle until i see 3 sets of 3 fingers and then ill switch to 20 then to 18. any help or criticisms is appreciated!

the pics are from day 2 (after planting)

Attached Files:

2. good stuff i like your light rig haha keep us posted with info and pics :hello:

3. how many plants do you have under those lights

4. right now i have 6 seedlings, i figure ill take the healthiest 4 after about 2 weeks. then add 2 more lights. giving me 2 a plant. then after maybe 3 weeks itll show sex (since its an autflower) and i can remove males. hoping to get at least two female under 4 lights.

5. Today i got a thermometer, and the temp inside the room was at 90. that seems way to hot so i pointed the fan at the box so it would take the heat off the lights and now its about 80- is that good?

6. should be good way better then 90 i keep my temps around 77 to 80 when lights are out its usually around 67 or so.

7. i think once i lose the box it will get better too. all the heat is kept inside, but i figured its just so reflective and zero light is lost i shud keep it until they outgrow it.

8. DAY 3.

3 plants sprout up looking like this.

Got thermometer and developed air movement system (opened closet door behind it and aimed fan towards front closet door so it moves out old and brings in new.

not sure if i should water? the top feels dry, and if i stick my finger down its not too dry but its also not very "moist" hahaha this watering thing stresses me out.

Attached Files:

9. Thanks danyul, i got two out of an old xbox and piped them in. should help a lot.

will update again soon.

10. hey guys i really need some help/ advice. i got the plants on a 24 hour non stop cycle until they get outta seedling, but my landlord and a fire fighter are coming to my place on Tuesday to test my fire alarm and sprinklers, (western canada law that its gotta happen once a year) chord and glowing closet are dead give aways so im going to move them into my bedroom, how long can they be ok without light.

If i put them in there for 2 hours.......will i now have to honor that cycle of dark during those hours for the next few months?

11. I don't know if this is for sure. I belive if it is still in veg then light cycles are not a big deal. I messed around moving plants and whatnot quite a bit during veg.

12. I do not see any point of having that box. Light is not getting to your plants from the sides anyway (walls of those cups) . All you getting is higher temperature, so that box does more harm than good....

13. good point actually. i figured it just reflected light and helped bounce it all around in there but what your saying makes more sense. i think im going to get rid of box tonight.

14. hey guys been one week since i planted. here are some pictures and updates!

update 1: Out of the 6 i planted. 5 sprouted. 1 of them i planted too late and the tail was about 1 inch long and it just messed everything up so i had to get rid of it. I'm hoping to keep the best 2 females, so its not a huge deal.

update 2: took them out of the box to keep temps down, and put the fan farther away because the breeze was drying out the soil too much and too fast.

update 3: placed a jar in there with luke warm water to increase humidity under the close and hot lights.

update 4: have one plant that is not growing and looks sick. HELP me figure it out!! it has yellow spots all over it, and i checked the bottom and i dont think there is spider mites, there is some black dots but it mostly looks like soil.....i sprayed them off and clean even if it was. IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

15. Sounds like maybe your misting your plants? If so stop, it only cause water to bead and be magnifying glasses on the leaves. If you do mist or do any foliar feeding make sure to do it with the lights off or with enough air movement to not leave standing water on the leave for more than 10 mins. Hope this helps;)

16. ohhh ok ill be sure to do it only when the lights are off then. thank you!

17. Low humidity shouldn't be a problem, it just means you have to water a little more often