First! CFL Closet Grow [Soil]

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by LoudPackStacks, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Specifics:

Miracle Grow Potting Soil w Time Release Nutes

Water Lol

5 Seedlings Ranging from 4 days to 1 Week

They all started their lives under a 20W Cfl about 12 inches away. This seemed to cause them to strech; their all 2-4 inches tall with only 1 set of "true" leaves.
    Shouldnt they have grown more?
    Im sure the one low voltage light far away was the problem, So today i purchased:

2 Clamp Reflectors
    4 Daylight 100W 5000k CFLs
    (I know i shuldve used 6500k but they werrnt in stock.)
    I could only use two since i didnt have enough for two more reflectors.

There are 3 seedlings in one pot and 2 in the other. I plan to get 3 more pots soon so they all can have their own.

I hope the problem was lighting because i fixed that today. I also plan to LST them.

Anyone know a good fan $10 or under to circulate?

What good ferts and nutes could i get for the entire process?

One of the leaves has a burnt look on the tip and it couldnt be from liting cuz i didnt have it anywhere close.
    Im on a limited budget as this is my first grow,

Ill post pics later. ( The growth resembles growing with the one 20W lite not the new stuff, I just put the new stuff there today)

2. New pics...tell me what you think please!

Attached Files:

3. Come on GC, i know somebody has comments!

This is my first grow for 420 sake, lol.

4. yo whats up....
    yeh looking good....
    when u transplant them u must just pile the soil higher...
    they'll start bushying out more with that lighting just try keep the light close (+-4 inch) ..
    enjoy!:wave:

5. Finally! I thought Grass City didnt like noobies for a second lol. Im about to upload the pics that show the progress since i got the new lighting.

6. probably not a good idea to have put two in each pot. should've done one per pot cause its probably gonna be a hassle trying to seperate them when you have to transplant them into bigger pots

7. I know so earlier today i transplanted 3 to solo cups until i get pots for them. I should put slits/holes at the bottom of the cups right?

And great news. One day after the new lighting the leaves opened up and got bigger. The third pair of leaves is coming in on 4 of the 5 seedlings too. So Excited!

8. Yeah for drainage def puncture holes.

Your cfl can actually get within 2" of your tops.
    Be sure to have airflow over the bulbs, only way CFLs stay cool. They do get hot .

You're gonna have to put in more than 10$

Fan is gonna be about 10-15 for a good one if not inline.

Get a thermostat so you can keep an eye on temps. I have one that keeps memory of the highest temp of the day and the lowest.

Airflow is key. If leafs start to look deformed twist it probably because of heat.

Get a ph testing kit (15$ at my local hydro store. I got the GeneralHydroponics PH Test kit w/ ph up and down and the ph testing solution.

When transplanting I would buy if available some Fox Farm Oceanic Soil. It's organic so it doesn't have time release ferts. The soil does have enough food for the plants for about 20-30 days depending on how fast they growing.

Oh man resident evil just came on.. the first one( I think its the only one worth watching.)

my next purchase would be better lighting. Maybe a 150w HPS if a slow grow op is what your after. If you want to grow big than maybe a 400w and on.. I got my 150w HPS for 70$. Good for 16000lumens.

if you worried about light bill you're still using a less imprint than a 700w gaming pc or some shit left on all day.

By then I'd say your plants have used all the food in the soil and would get some nutes. FoxFarm makes good nutes. I got the Grow Big($20), Tiger Bloom(15$), and Big Bloom (10$). Need to have phkit tho when you use nutes because it lowers it a lot and after tiem you'll get lockout.

So
    PH Kit $17
    Soil $25
    Nutes $45-60

Hope this been on help.

I'd look at ZeroStar
    s and 8ishop's gtow to give you a good idea.

9. Thanks smurfy...youre the best help so far. I watered a little before the transplant and they seemed to take the transplant well. I was scared i would put them in shock so i switched to 24/0 for a day. 3rd set of leaves shows more clear today then they did before yesterdays transplant.
    Ill def. drop $15 on a fan cuz i know itll pay off. And ill save for the nutes, but ill just use FFOF on my next crop. (This a learning go round for me, ill be lucky for anything.)

By the way temps are low to mid 80s. That fan should help. And ill DEF look for the ph kit.

Do you think the miracle gro nutes are causing two of the seedlings' leaves to have 'crispy or burnt' tips?

10. Thats great that it took the transplant good.
    I've done a lot of research on the whole 24/0 cycle and found out from quite a few people that using a 24/0 cycle tends to raise the chances of males/females ratios.
    I am in my first grow myself you can see here is ya wanna.
    http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/626658-1st-grow-attempt-cfl-closet-grow.html
    I left mine on an 18/6 schedule kinda let the plant relax for a little while so you dont stress it out a bunch plus it will make the initial flowering to happen easier than if u ran 24/0 the whole vegetation.

Goodluck man welcome to GC im gonna keep tabs on your grow man
    time for me to :smoke: tho peace:wave:

11. Thank u man i was high wen i transplantd them and i seem to do everything right wen im high so there u go! =]
    And yea ima keep it 18/6 cuz i like bein on schedule and no necessary changes...

12. OMG! They just blew me away with a couple days worth of SUPER growing. After the transplant they seemed to TAKE OFF. I am so happy there was no transplant shock. The 3 seedlings in solo cups are only going to be transplanted one more time into there final pots. Check out these pics dude!!!!
    :hello::hello::hello::wave::wave::wave::smoke:
    EDIT; pics arent working...wait till later gc!

13. do you mean you transplanted the two seeds in one container to separate ones? Its a good start :D. I would suggest avoiding MG especially with time release fertilizer because I have heard many people who have gotten nute burns from that. Keep this updated if your trying to keep a journal with more photos and I'll be sure to stop by :wave:

14. 17 days! big improvements!

pics ATTACHED!

Attached Files:

15. Great progress man lookin pretty rad now!
    Definitely have gotten way more sexy than the first pics lol :smoke:

16. Thanks tylerjdm...Only have one problem.

I want to put more soil in my pots and center the plants in the pots. Theyre about halfway full but i want soil to reach the top.

I dont want to break any roots when puttin the soil in...any help?

And check my PICS out above everyone

17. Anyone??

I know there are some cool guys who can help.

It would mean the world!

18. #18 Tylerjdm, Jul 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2010
    Dude i transplanted mine at about the same height your first set of pictures are. I was scared of screwing my roots up i shoveled around like 4 inch radius all the way around and scooped it out. I accidentally ripped some of the roots off but it hasnt seemed to affected my plants. And its kinda hard to see on my computer but how off center are your plants inside your pots? Cause when i transplanted mine i put in like 1 1/2inch off center not intentionally and the plant seems pretty fine my pot is like a foot and a half deep so the roots have plenty off room to grow.
    Gahhh i wanna see my plant i have to wait another 2 hours till my lights turn on and i can see whats going on:)
    happy smoking!!

19. Lol...when i put the plant in there the soil was only halfway full in the pot....I wana kinda pick up the roots so the plant can be closer to the top of the rim. how can kinda 'pick them up' ?

20. New Pics....

Great progress. About 3 weeks on the dot.

Closet is starting to stink!!! :hello:

Anyone know where i can get some 4/5 gallon pots, ONA BUDGET?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files: