First CFL cabinet grow

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by readysetexplode, May 9, 2011.

1. nice you got the aurora up and looks like shes going strong!.. what day is that picture?

2. #42 readysetexplode, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2011
    Day 10 from planting seed:)

I should also add that it was started below one lamp, then put under a 42w soft white in the flower box for a few days, then in the bathroom under 2 stacked 26 watts, now under a total of 3x 26 watts in its temporary veg box. the light burnt tips are from its brief stay in the flower box. Nothing since then.

3. My flower box insists on being 100 degrees, I need help.

Want to attach a larger extraction fan hooked to ducking in the back. How loud will this be compared to this worthless pc fan rig?
    Can anyone help me out with a cheap easy way to do this?

Also I want to replace the cardboard back piece with a fitted wood one to make the whole thing really solid.
    Where can I go to get the wood cut and holes cut out as well? Will home depot do that?

Thanks alot for the help

4. How little heat would a ~90watt led light compare to these CFLs? Does anyone have any solid advice in the led dept? Pwease :smoke:

5. Depends what kind of fan u would be using for exaust. I use 2 4" inline duct fans with some noise reduction sheeting wrapped around it and its still decently loud. Its a little less noisy then a standard bathroom exaust fan I would say.

6. Hey u shud really check out the led light b4 u buy it... Iv heard really bad things about even the priciest ones. The UFO always breaks and the panels always need replacement bulbs which most need to be sauldered. Just a little advice check em out on YouTube

7. Hmm I have heard the same, I see reviews for some that seem to be really good though. If I were to use it it would be a primary light and hen as many cfls as I can to supplement till it gets too hot.

I don't know why its so hard to find solid info on these things it seems like their is a trail of sketch every time they are brought up...

8. I hear ya man but do sum serious homework before you buy any of em. Thats prolly gunna be the smartest thing to do.
    Keep us up to date as to what u end up doing, I'm pretty interested at this point.

Happy Growing---

9. Hmm still not sure how I feel about led's. Seem too pricey anyways there's already too much money put in this cab. Wasn't really trying to spend more money till I got a harvest.
    But at this rate there may not be a harvest unless I get this temp down. So I'm gonna have to think "OUTSIDE THE BOX"....Literally.

I'm still pretty stumped but the subliminal idea in my head is that I need to invest in a real inline exhaust fan and get fresh new air in this box by the second.

I got plenty of fans blowing air in the cab and not enough hot air being removed. When the cabs open, it sits at 77-80 degrees. Closed 90-100 on a 70 degree day. God help me on a scorcher..

Would a 4 inch fan at just under 200 cfm be enough?
    Or there's a 6 incher at 300+ which really satisfies my gut.

The only consideration between the 2 is noise and cost, mostly noise. The computer fan that's there makes enough noise as it is. I can't imagine that one of these would be any quieter or even the same. It's gonna cost at least a bill and that sucks. But its also a seemingly permanent solution and could also be used on future larger grows.

Thoughts??

10. Oh and the good stuff...

The Aurora is avenging its fallen sisters by being the most beautiful baby plant I ever did see. The node spacing is just amazing. I'm real excited for this one.

And the flowering clone looks sad and sick of the heatwave its getting blasted with :/

Attached Files:

11. Hey I know how to keep ur box cool without having to cool ur whole room, they sell little personal ac units that can fit in your hand or there's a few bigger but still very small units. They all plug into a wall and a few can run on batteries if u wanna just give the box a little blast of cool air to chill things down. They're priced around $50-$100. I almost went this way caus here in new England we get really Nasty humid summers that just would kill any plant in a box but I opted for the new lg a/c caus I was staten to cook lol.
    Hopefully this helps def look into them try amazon and walmart.com and just browse air conditioners ul find em... Any way good luck

Happy Growing---

12. Sub'd and good luck. I have a similar cfl cab. Hopefully my 45w bulbs come today. Gonna do some research on the mini ac units and possibly grab one this week. Ultimately, I want to keep costs and temps down.

13. will keep this in mind the only one I found needs a water refill every 3 hours max though I need at least 12 hours run time. I know what you mean about the east coast, I'm from jersey and the summer is way more intense than in LA. Thanks for the advice!

14. Thank you, We're all watching and learning here, if you find a good one link me por favor! :wave:

15. Today I just left the box open which I'm gunna keep doing Untill I make a move. Temps linger around 77-83 with it open depending on the sun.

I think what its boiled down to is I'm going to purchase the larger almost double height cab to become the new flower box, and convert the current one into a veg cab

Home Depot Cab

Spec sheet

theres a permanant shelf at the top which will make a perfect cubby for an exhaust system. Also, the cab leaves much more room for me to grow some fuller sized plants so this grow is about to get un-micro-ed.

truthfully for like 20 more bux its probly the cab I shoulda got in the first place. but you live and you learn and this one should be much easier to set up.

16. Do you live near a habitat for humanity restore? They have alot of cabinets that just need gutting and cleaning for $15 or less. My store had a couple like what your looking at from home depot. Im in the same boat as you. My first cab is small, but fits in a bedroom. Once I get my feet wet, I may get a larger cab to flower in for better results.

17. #57 FreshnootBudz, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2011
    Hey for all you guys that are feeln this nasty 100 degree temps weather and are lookn to cool off your box, I found a unit that's 50 bux, it's literally a Coleman cooler that has a fan intake and exhaust that you place onto of the cooler when it's filled with ice.(Jabetc 12 Volt 12V Portable Air Conditioner for Ice Cooler Chest)(type in 12v air conditioner on google and ul see all the mini air conditioners)

The air is pumped into the cooler, circulates over the ice or blue ice or frozen waterbottles then is pumped back into the room or your closet. This is the best mini cooling unit iv seen so far and iv seen alot. It lasts for 6 hrs then u gotta just put more ice in or the frozen bottles or whatever u have that's frozen and go for another 6 hrs. This all runs on either a 12v adapter or their battery that's included.
    I think this is the best way to go for most micro growers because most of us put our cabs in our closets so even if you have 2 boxes like me u still only need this one cooling unit rather than cooling both cabs with a crap load of fans. Really in my experience it's more of trying to cool down the box and let it get back to normal temps rather than keeping it cool all day long which is really why I suggest this cooler.
    Oh another way u guys can keep ur grows temps down is by having your on cycle during the night when it's coolest rather than durring the day when the sun is on full blast... Oh FYI for those that don't know... Running electricity is cheaper usually after8pm - 6am when there's less demand for power.

I hope this helps u guys especially with this heat wave on the east coast.
    Happy Growing---

18. I saw that cooler ac unit online. That would be nice for a closet grow. Im just utilizing the sun during the day and running the box after 7 or 8 through the morning. Still tinkering with the bulb locations, wattage, and setup to get most out of it. I dont feel like I am right now. May start misting the plants while in the box to keep them from getting so dry.

19. I'm seeing pistols and things finally starting to flower pretty good. This means I start using tiger bloom now instead of veg nutes right?

Anyone else use nutes every watering? She eats them up with no adverse effects, so why not?

The Aurora got transplanted but I didn't snap a pic yet.

Attached Files:

20. Hey u may not be able to see it but if you use nutes every time then there will def be salt build up which is definitely not a good thing. U should go nutes/nutes/nutes/water.
    That should give the plant a chance to actually use the nutes ur pumping in and will also flush the salt right out.
    As for using tiger u wud have to read the bottle, most nutrient companies usually break their bloom nutes into 3 parts:(il use advanced nutrients as an example) 1. Bloom starters: bud ignitor, 2. main bloom nute: Big Bud, and a finisher: Overdrive.

U use each of those at different stages in bloom(along w/ additives if u got em) but idk if tiger bloom uses the same kinda feeding chart. I would do a little research on their actual web site.
    Hope this helps.
    Happy Growing---