first car... buy a beater or buy a new "turd"

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by Reo, Nov 2, 2018.

1. hey guys been pricing out insurance for a first car and have come to a couple options. I could get something in the 2000-2005 area like a vw golf or corolla, or option two save up for a end of lease car like a micra. i'd be paying the same insurance between the two options.

but I do fancy the micra as a keeper.

2. I'd suggest a Corolla for your first car. They tend to be very reliable, certainly compared to a VW. I don't know anything about a Micra, other than googling and seeing that it's a small Nissan car.

3. Eight or ten year old Honda Civic or Accord. They're cheap to buy and get excellent gas mileage, plus parts are dirt cheap...
    My son has a 2001 Accord with a 4 cyl motor and 5 speed manual trans...gets 32 mpg and is like a rocket.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. All I buy is Volkswagen the engine runs like Honda’s but everything else will fall apart.
    Toyota’s will go 300,000 miles if u take care of them.

5. Not sure why you only buy VW if everything besides the engine falls apart. I know they're popular but who wants that?

• Like Like x 1
  6. 7th gen celica instead of a Corolla though. Great little car. I love mine and am passing it on to my son next year when he gets his license.

Indoor organic

• Like Like x 1
  7. I had an accord, my mother had it before me. 10 years 130,000 miles later and it still runs like it did in the beginning lol. Honda is the way to roll.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. I love VW’s

9. I'd go for a good second hand car like a Toyota or Honda. Do your research for whatever year that's being considered and get an independent pre-purchase inspection even when buying from a dealer who claims to have "looked the car over."

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Wait, you said you’re looking for your first car yet all you buy is VW.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Honda civic. Easy to maintain, cheap and reliable.

12. Not my post detective.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Buy american fuck the Germans

14. Ha! Fair enough.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. No one should ever have a brand new car for their first car.

Ever.

Unless Daddy is totally rich and doesn’t care about much and has a ton of money to burn.

But of course this is just my opinion.

Back in the day all I could ever afford was the couple hundred dollar beaters and we’d work on them in the backyard. Back then (70’s, early 80’s) you only needed a couple tools too - a flathead screwdriver, a Phillips head screwdriver -

And a hammer.

Man I just got my very first brand new car this year and I’m in my 50’s.

J

• Like Like x 1
  16. I'm gonna follow up to the Honda post...

On top of being easy to DIY, cheap to DIY, fuel efficient, reliable, and having a reputation as fun cars, OP should check out the RSX-S or RSX (avi car).

Type S is stock 200hp, 6 m/t, base is 160hp in 5 m/t or auto. Mine is a modded type S and the most fun car I've ever driven in my life.

35mpg hwy, 29mpg interstate, 25 city.

No one ever guesses it's a 16 year old car, or even a pre-2010 car... it's the predecessor to the Honda Civic SI (2006) and the successor to the Integra DC4.

I had an 08 civic too... crazy to think it's 10 years old. Reliable car, similar mileage to type S, and sold for $4k two years ago if you want something a little less... "noticeable"..

17. Aaaahhhh. The good ol days. Had some cars that I wish I had now. Would be worth some dough. These freaking cars now a days are a bitch to work on. You could change a fuel pump with a ratchet and a rubber band back in the day. Wouldn't start, jump the solenoid under the hood. I'm pretty handy but my wife thinks that I'm an ASE certified mechanic. Lol. It takes half a day to change your plugs and wires now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. I don’t even attempt it anymore. Too many
    Special tools - I’d just as soon have the Subaru folks work on it.

I used to have a 66 Mustang though - that was enjoyable to tinker on in the backyard having a couple cold beers -

J

• Like Like x 1
  19. Thanks for the info guys. I'd probably end up getting a Toyota or Honda. There are a lot of 90-05s corollas on the local adds so probably get myself a old Corolla then.

My dad had a 03 Buick rendezvous.that thing wasn't safe ( undecorated early so the frame was dust) being blown around on the road and shit ( light car, light & raised suspension) but I gotta say I loved that little thing. Even had the type of engine that is plagued by blowing head gaskets but the engine never did in the 6 to 7yrs my dad had it. matter of fact the engine ran solid till the day it got scrapped even driving the rendezvous like a "Ferrari" It never missed a beat....

20. Get something cheap you can hang on to and save money with...by 2025 EVs are gonna be the same price as gas cars, and used gas car values will plummet after that