First attempt,

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by ziggyj72, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Hi all, I've saved all my seeds over the years. Either they have been wrapped in paper towel and sealed with plastic wrap, or just tossed into an empty (clean) pill bottle. I have only saved mature (so i think) seeds, good lookin tiger striped, or solid black, or solid white (these ones are 3x the size of their darker cousins). The collection is well over 200. I do realize that they will not have the potential of "bought seeds" but I continue to save them if I do find them. As for what kind of strain each seed is , I have no idea, over the years I have been fortunate to have tried lots of different kinds. ( I even have some seed right from Jamaica from the 90's). I never really had the opportunity to grow myself until recently........

I picked out 15 seeds, (5 of each, tigerstriped, black and lg white) triple layer damp papertowel on a dark plate, plastic wrapped in the dark. checked after a few days and yep, sprouts are a poppin. The black ones showed the slowest growth, but all popped anyways. transfer to 2inch pots (scotts potting compound) and put under a single flourescent @ 24/7. When the second set of leaves appeared I was told (not by any reliable source) to run my lights 12/12 and that way I could tell the sex of the plant right away and not waste my time in growing any males. umm ok, so I turned my timer down.. and waited.. and waited... after about 5 days (sprouts really tall and lanky)3" I began to notice some tips coming out of the branch intersection. took a macro photo and they looked like fems.. so I removed the ones with no extra growth and returned the light to 24/7.. Found a 250w HPS, I heard that a 250w MH will work in the hps ballast. Purchased both bulbs for the light. And they both work !! Now have the plants under 250mh for 24/7 and moved them into 4" pots, picked up some schultz 10-15-10 liquid to give them in the veg state. well crap I didn't wean them onto the fert, the app says 7 drops per L, I'm a dummy and used 10 per 750 mL and burnt the hell outta one of the plants, all fan leaves have died and I dont' think i can save it.. (it had the thickest stalk and best growth of the bunch). The remaining plants have a decent top but they are about 8" tall and the only growth is at the top 3", the rest is all bare stalk.

Could this be due to the fact that I traumatized the seedlings with only 12/12 or could the bare stalk syndrome be from improper nutes? I have read a ton on this site but didn't find anything close to what i did..

I do realize that Piss Poor Planning Promotes Piss Poor Pot.

Any help/comments/suggestions either postive or negative would be greatly appreciated as long as it's constructive .

would it be worthwhile to try and clone from these or would it be a waste of time?

I can only put 1 pic up at a time it seems...

Attached Files:

2. ah ha,, ok so i changed the quality setting on my camera, now they are smaller.. sorry about that..

Attached Files:

3. 30+views and no one comments?? Give a fella a hand would ya

4. Hey ziggyj! I'm sorry you haven't had any comments yet but I'll give you my opinion from my limited experience, that is, only 2 grows. It really sounds like your plants are suffering from fert burn. Just putting them on 12/12 to sex them wouldn't cause the damage you've described. And you're fully aware that you over fertilized them, so that's probably the problem. I would just let them keep growing and give them nothing but clean, pure water. If they're going to make it, you should know in a few days. Good luck dude:cool:

every day, in every way, you're becoming more like.......tyler durdan.

5. Eew, big white seeds, hmm... if you get them to grow, run with it, but im stayin' away from those for now. :devious:

6. Haven't been able to get the camera working for a while now, lots has happened.. A few dried up and died (was out of town) I think sucessfully I might have 3 from 3 diff seeds..

The one on the top shelf is still the same size as in the earlier pics, didn't take off, or die, just seems to be living in a dormant stage or something.. keeping it around for kicks,

The 250mh is on top and I have the 250hps is 6 ft away at the side (had them side by side, but was too hot) on for 24/0, The zoomed pic is the top of the fatter one, is it too late to top this?

Attached Files:

7. I'm unsure whether or not you have started 12/12 yet, but the bare stalk could be from stretching, I see your HID is 3-4 feet away from the tops. If you can boost the height of the bottom plants, you might stop seeing that stretch. The one on the shelf might be to close... I recommend getting a lighting yoyo, they are 15 bucks at your hydro shop and make life so easy. Get two, and get your MH and HPS running adjacent to each other directly over the plant. If you are concerned about getting light on the sides of the plant, get mylar. Another item easily found for fairly cheap at your local hydro store. And if you dont have something local, HTGSupply.com

Also, I have grown from white pasty seeds and had very good results, my northern lights is proof and can be found in my sig.

GL with your grow man.