First attempt bedroom grow.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by 333stayhighguy, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Hey people of Grasscity!  Im a long time lurker, first time poster.  So heres my little story.  
    A few months ago I bought a half ounce, I noticed all the nugs were full of seeds when i got home and started busting it up.  So i carefully picked through all the little nugs and saved all the seeds in a little container.  So i decided to start experimenting with the seeds, I grew 2 of them in containers with no drainage the first time around hahahah(those are in the garbage now).  I planted another, still not having any idea what to do except just drop it in the soil and water it.  Soo now i have a almost 2 foot plant in my bedroom, it is looking decent for what its growing conditions are. Attached are some Photos of the plant! Any advice would be much appreciated!  I started growing before i educated myself.  Currently i have a 60watt regular light about 4 inches from the top of the plant, and a little bedside lamp on the side, with a fan blowing at it from the bottom.  The pot that it is growing out of is about 9cm deep and 12cm wide.  I am not feeding the plant any fertilizer or anything aside from water. For my next attempt on growing, i will get 30watt blue and red CFl's and put it on a more precise on off light schedule. My main question for now is, what are your predictions for my plant, and any advice is much appreciated! 
    thanks and stay high! IMG_4487.jpg IMG_4489.jpg weeeeee2.jpg weeeee1.jpg

2. You really don't have adequate light and it is very stretched. I would say start over with at least 100 actual watts of CFL lighting and do LST. If you really don't want to start over then pot up to a 1 gallon container, LST the plant and get at least 100 actual watts of CFL over the top of the plant around 2-4 inches away.

[​IMG]

3. Ya i am definitely going to start over, its getting droopier and droopier by the minute.  So you say 100 wats of cfl lighting for 1 plant? I read that 30Watts was sufficient on some other forum. http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/blue-planet-spiral-23w-2-pk-0525562p.html#.UyPc3lFdUmw does that one look decent or should i have multiple 40 watts?  personally i think a gallon pot is a little to extreme for a bedroom grow.  Thanks for the reply @[member="Mark-it-Zero"].  
    ALSO. if my plant were to acquire some kind of bug, would this make my entire bedroom a bug palace forever? 

4. #4 Mark-it-Zero, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2014
    Yeah it is probably getting droopier because it is in such a small container with probably poor soil and poor drainage. Yes the general rule of thumb for CFL if I remember correctly is 100 actual watts for the first plant and an additional 50w for every plant after that. That bulb your linked is a 2700k  best use for flowering, you need 5500-6500k for veg.

If you are going to use 23w bulbs use at least four, and for vegging use three 5500-6500k bulbs with one 2700k bulb. When flowering use three 2700k bulb and one 5500-6500k bulb,  and if you can using three 40 actual watt bulbs they will work better then the four 23 actual watt bulbs because the light has better penetration. Try to use a similar mix though if you do, like two 6500k and one 2700k and vice versa.

Using a one gallon pot is not anywhere near extreme it is pretty standard for a starter size, you generally start your seeds/clones in a dixie cup with a good 70/30 soil perlite mix or some sort of rock wool, then move those into a 1 gallon pot/bag. After the plant hits about two feet it can be potted up into a 3 gallon pot/bag, if you plan on keeping the plant less then 3-4 feet high it can stay in the 3 gallon pot. Any taller then 4 feet you should up pot again to a 5 gallon pot, and even then some would say up potting to a 5 gallon even with a shorter plan will produce larger yields.

You wont get any thing worth the electricity if you don't at least have a one gallon pot, for example I flowered a one plant closet grow with over 200w of CFL lighting in only a one gallon pot and it produced less then an O dry. Pretty doubtful those types of bugs would infest your bedroom unless your grow a lot of plants in there, they live on plants and eat plants to survive so I'm 90% sure they won't just live anywhere.

Honestly for the amount of electricity you are better off just getting a 250w hps/mh, some people pull like 7 O yields off those things, I wish i would have started with HID and never put money into CFL.

5. Oh my goodness @[member="Mark-it-Zero"] thanks for all that thick information!  Unfortunately i still live at home with my mother so all that extravagant stuff is out of the question.  I have consent from my mother of course, But i can not let it get out of hand.   Honestly if i were to even harvest an O off of my grow, i would be stoked!  At the most i could have 2 lamps nailed into the wall and maybeee a gallon pot.
    I am trying to keep it as basic as possible here!!  

6. Also iv just been growing on water so far. I dont want to use a shitty commercial fertilizer like miracle grow.  I have been reading into organic growing,  Bone meal, Bat guano...that kinda stuff, its a little overwhelming.   i dont really want to spend a fortune on all this.  whats the simplest cheapest combination of organic fertz i could use ??

7. A bag of Fox farm ocean forest mixed with a handful of worm casting

8. im in canada @[member="TimeIsMoney1"] i dont think i can get my hands on fox farm

9. I live in Canada as well and you should be able to find FFoF or something like Promix HP fairly cheap. Depending on where you live there are tons of different hydro shops around. There must be 3 of them within a 20 minute drive of me just check google maps for any local hydro shops, a bale of Pro-mix HP is only like 30$ for 110L of medium. Just remember the difference between soil and soil-less mediums like Pro-mix.

If you want something fairly hard to mess up you might try growing in coco as it is almost impossible to over water it. It is an inert soil-less hydro medium that can be top fed drain to waste just like soil/Pro-mix. Also if you don't have it one of the most important parts of growing is the quality of the water as well as the PH, so try to find some like PH test drops and PH adjusting liquid or chances are high the plants will just lock out nutrients at the incorrect PH and slowly die.

Also if you can't have anything more then a one gallon pot then LST the hell of it and turn it into a little  bush, and if you can only have like 2 lamps either find two CFL around 50W each or use the bulb socket splitters and have 4 of the 23w.  Anything less then 100w is going to struggle to grow anything. And yeah sorry about the big posts I just like to try to cover everything in one post to avoid some confusion lol.

10. ^^^
    Good info right there.......
    Pro-Mix makes an "ultimate organic mix" that's performed well for me, And it says "Product of Canada" right there on the bag !!!
    mix it with castings, keep some castings back for a top dress 1 or 2 times a month- easy peasy.

11. Okay! i think i can get my hands on Pro-mix.  What should i feed to my plant though is the question.  Everywhere iv looked for bat guano and stuff, it is all sold in huge containers.  Where could i get a lesser amount of this.  Currently i have been using this soil, and feeding it nothing. http://schultz.infinitylawnandgarden.com/products/soil/potting-soil/potting-soil-plus .  Would any of these plant foods do any good? http://schultz.infinitylawnandgarden.com/products/plant-food .     Im trying to keep this operation really lowkey and cheap.  Im just sort of experimenting, not trying to grow an extravagant product.  Maybe one day!!! Also, I take a lot of bong tokes in my room throughout the day with my plant being exposed to the smoke.  how big of a nono is that?

12. Incandescent light is NOT good for growing.

Sent from my DROID4 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. Thanks @[member="mayhemmaster668"] Im aware and have disposed of my plant that was grown under an incadecent.  Im planning out my setup this time! 

14. I've got this girl at 64 days from seed, a week and a half of 12/12. Just using 5 26w soft white (2700k), and 1 55w soft white 2700k 3800 lumen. Luckily insides of closet are white.. temps stay in high 60s w 40-50% humidity, ain't gotta do shit but water(feed). Lights even on timers..

15. Lol forgot pic.. *buzzed*

Attached Files:

16. Was thinking about adding some coffee grounds around her for nitrogen, stems looking red.

17. WoW!!! @[member="mayhemmaster668"] that looks beautiful.  what did you feed her during veg? 

18. Plants need diff notes in veg and in flower.. I didn't give mine anything during veg, only once I determined sex and began flowering. There's a ratio on all fertilizers usually, and I'm using 7-6-19. For flower u want a low first number and a higher last 2 numbers.. reversed for veg, but it's not really needed at that stage anyway. I also use high nitrogen miracle grow soil to start in, then switch to organic choice when I transplant before flower.

19. Well if you are going to spend the money to buy pro-mix you can usually get a good set of base nutes for like 30$ for general hydroponics three part. You can use the general type fertilizers but you will get much better results with actual nutrients. On that first grow I had with 200w of CFL I used some peat based potting soil with Schultz Orchid (15-5-5) for veg and then used Schultz Cactus (2-7-7) for flower but I really did not like the results, even with flushing was some of the worst tasting smoke I ever had.

I would not put any plants into that Schultz Potting Soil Plus, It says right in the link it has enough timed release nutes for 9 months which is what you definitely don't want. A lot of potting soils you find in the big name stores will contain timed release nutes so watch out for those, the more you flush the more of them you release and it can really overwhelm small plants not to mention ruin the bud because you won't be able to flush them out.

20. I use liquid African violet food, then I'm just going to stop putting it in the water a couple weeks before harvest.