First 5 x 1000 watt HPS Grow.. Help?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by jordanw29, May 29, 2012.

1. hello im about to setup 5 1000 watt hps lights i plan on doing 70 clones babies cuttings what ever you wanna call them i have a big shed im doing it in

i need some help what else do i rele need im on a really really short budget....

2. #2 RO76, May 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2012
    How about getting a book ? If it is your first grow then 70 plants could be too much.... I hope that you realize that growing a plant it is not just putting a seed in the soil and simply watering it couple of times a week....Spend time reading books and forum before purchasing anything... After reading my post you probably getting mad ( I did not answered your question ) , but by asking that question you simply telling that you practically have no knowledge ..... Things you might need : Chains to keep the reflectors attach to the ceiling , hooks to hold those chains , plastic buckets for water and to mix nutrients , RO set up ( I do not know if you know what is RO water system....) , Mylar to keep wals reflective , stapler gun to attach Mylar to walls , pots for your plants , soil ( outdoor soil will not work) ... Dude do you really want me to continue ? Read few books , grow couple of plants before jumping in to 70 plants grow .... You are welcome .

3. i didnt say its my first time lol ive grown 5 before but was a small closet one.. i just havnt done a huge one like this.. it will be me and a friend doing it in a big shed so... i just duno about like how many plants per light and all this stuff like im useing all new stuff before i used 400 watt lights and stuff...

4. /thread

5. 5K watts, in a shed, in the summer...it is air conditioned right? That's a lot of heat...if you don't have your temp control/ventilation planned yet, I think that should be where you start...provided you have enough power in your shed...

Like RO76 said, you're gonna need lots of things...plan, plan, plan and plan some more before you do anything...

You can run 70 plants under 5K...12 per light...

6. i plan on getting a little ac unit but where i am its still rainin and shiit i wont need one for bit but i plan on getting one when gets hotter.. i plan on running my lights at night so its cooler right...

uhh what else do i rele need i plan on have a few fans ... uhh 5 lights.. uhh im using flora series stuff.. i plan on growing pk uh im just hopping to come out with a zip each plant and it be good.. after my first grow im putting it all back in and gunna make it a perfect one..

Does anyone know about these smart meters i need some help with them

thanks

7. Well...you know that 5K watts is about 17K BTU right? A "little" A/C won't really cut it...and that 17K BTU just covers the lights...you have to factor in room size, anything else you're running, insulation, etc...

What are you running for ventilation? Are you running cool tubes or vented hoods on all the lights? how often will your air exchange in your grow area?

And...even if it is relatively cool at night...you are going to need temperature control from the beginning...I live in Canada...it's 9 at night and it is currently 85f outside...I would guess that, without proper temp control, your shed would be running well over 100f right now...and it's still May...

8. Carbon filters unless you don't have anybody coming within a quarter mile of the property. 70 plants in flower will stink for quite a ways out. And I think you may be underestimating the heat that 5 1000w lights will put out in a confined shed. AC and ventilation are going to be a big deal for this grow i would think.

9. yes im still working on figureing out a way to to vent like my price range is short after plants and dirt im sitting at around 250$ i have a way of getting equipment from a friend.. so im just hopping everything goes good where i am its still cold out.. i live in canada to so.. idk top it gets right now is 19-22

10. $250 ain't gonna do it...

You can try to half ass things...and end up with a half ass grow...

For my last 2K flower room, the venting, A/C, dehumidifiers, water chillers and all that fun environmental stuff set me back over $2K...now you don't have to go that far...but just an idea of what you can end up spending...

Canadian eh? Do you have any space heaters? Put 5 1000W space heaters on full in your shed...when you can figure out a way to run those and keep your temps at ambient outdoor temperature, then you might be able to survive until you can get an A/C...

I think you have a lot more research to do before you take on a grow of this size...

11. You're going to need at least a 40 amp circuit just for the lights, how much service is there to the shed?

I'm a big believer in doing it with as few plants as possible. I don't put any more than 2 plants under a 1000 but they produce much better than 6-8 cramped ones combined.

There's also the law, 10 plants vs 70....the law usually sees #'s more than weight when it comes to unharvested stuff, growing plants.

just my .02

12. Solid advice, you get what you give in this game.

13. lol i dont need equipment i got everything i need with friends lol like everything filters lights fans ... my problem is like the shed idk like it isnt insulated good and has some holes in door i gotta patch it all up with like 250$ budget...

would this a/c work? DAC5110M by Danby in Addison, IL - WINDOW AIR CONDITIONER DAC5110M

14. That's only 5000 BTU...you'll probably need around 20000...or about 4 of those...

Also...window A/C unit suck for grow rooms 'cause they are really leaky...they will let large amounts of smell out...they can't really be sealed up properly...

That many plants in flower...you'll smell it for miles...

15. so a stand up one is a good one then? k would 10000 be okay? i just dont have much space maybe ill do 50 to start..

16. They're better...but 10K will still be too small for all 5 lights...the basic formula for A/C sizing shows that 5000W of electrical devices running in an enclosed area requires an additional 17060 BTU in order to cool down the room...this is on top of what it would take to keep the room cool without anything running...

This of course assumes that you are not separately cooling the lights...if you are doing that, with good efficiency...then 10K might be enough...depends on how much the shed heats up in the sun...you'd have to try it to find out...

17. Again, how do you plan on running 5K watts in this shed? Do you have 40amp circuits wired up?

And how big is this shed you're talking about?

18. I was gonna bring that up after going over all the electrical equipment he'd have to run...probably gonna be closer to 60A with the A/C and fans...

19. i do not no much about shed yet i will let you know when i get there it is at a diffrent location at a friends so i will get back to you on that

20. too much heat in the summer. I was going to run a big shed, but with only a 1k and 600w setup, 1600watts in a 5x5x7 shed would be hard to keep cool in already 85-120 degree summer temps (where i live) I have one 6" 435cfm inline fan and a booster 6" with two 8" oscillating fans. This gets real hot! with 10 plants under it. Im thinking I will need a small $150 swamp/evap cooler.