First 150 watt hps indoor grow update

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Rhinodank, Nov 11, 2013.

1. So here a little update of my Blue-cheese I got growing under my 150 watt hps. She seems to be finally growing her tops. It turns out she needed nutrients:p he leaves were getting yellow, and some of her big fan leaves were getting crispy and dying... But it's all good now I think :) I have a few questions though:

When do you think I should flower? She's getting really bushy, and I want a good yield, so what do I do? I hear all this stuff about light needing to hit the budsites. But does that just mean light needs to hit on TOP of all bud sites(canopy)? She's getting bushy, so do I trim her to get more light? I mean, all her tops are exposed to light.. Idk. Just need some help.

Also, the tiny tops that are growing in from lst: how tall should I get them before I flower her? They are on their first node, but the other growth is getting taller, so idk what to do! Help?

Here's some pics.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Here's the pics!

Attached Files:

3. Bump??? Thanks again guys!

4. Leaves make food from the light not flowers. Your plant looks great..if anything you could try to get her to spread out a bit more but she looks really healthy. I'd veg for a couple more weeks and spread her out a bit then flip the lights. Nice job.

5. Ok so no trimming if leaves aren't dying? AndrYeah im just kind of wondering if it's a big deal if she gets wider than the reflector itself...because she's getting very close... I hope to get an O though! Any input on my other questions?

6. The 150 will cover near 2x2' area, so you can let her stretch outwards a bit yet. Shell grow vertical duri g the stretch, so the more you get her trained to bush out the better...it will give you a wider canopy with more leaves collecting light.

Also you want to give her time to establish solid root system that fills the pot....roots build foliage, foliage builds flowers. Keep her green and happy and she will do the rest.

7. But if I get her to 2 feet wide, won't the tops farthest from the light stretch/lean toward the bulb?

8. Cause as she gets wider, the tops further away will start being more horizontal from the bulb, and not as vertical...

9. Not every single top has to be directly under the light. Look at some pics of commercial grows with lights spread out all over...

10. I see.. Thats interesting actually. I'm used to outdoor where light was everywhere lol . Do the tops farther away have smaller/less dank buds though? Indoor is so much different, but difficult in different ways. When would you say would be the best time for me to flower? How tall vertically should her tops be you think? She's not even a foot tall yet. Like 10 inches MAX.

11. I remove a few of the oldest biggest leaves they're blocking light from several smaller leaves then try to spread the plant out
    with string or pipe cleaners what have you, if you don't want to remove leaves you can tuck them under. she looks nice.
    Mj

from someplace on something

12. The dominant branches will have the most growth; plant hormones and all. The rest will pack on weight just not as much.

I'd get her nice and stretched out, manipulate a somehwat even canopy and flip to flower, as I said, probably two weeks.

13. I see. But Will the smaller growth catch up to the taller growth? The smaller growth is also, 2-3 inches farther from the light, but does that matter? It's growing in a new node every 2 days or so. I just want a nice even canopy when I flip is all. I want all the colas to be the same distance from the light when I switch... Here's a pic of the smaller growth compared to the bigger growth.

Attached Files:

14. Check out some examples of LST and supercropping...it will give you an idea of what can be done to manipulate the canopy.

15. Supercrop....yes.

Looking good.  Be patient!

16. for a even canopy the best thing to do is to ScrOG this will allow u to have a branch in every square of the grid otherwise the inside branches that recieve the most light will grow the fastest and produce nice bud but it will block the smaller branches on the outside

17. You do have the room for a SCROG but should try a little LST at least. Open her up and spread her out. More tops and a wider canopy usual results in more buds. The screens are easy to make for a SCROG and if you go with LST, I found twist ties work great and it's only $1 per spool of it.

18. O and I forgot, the 150watts cover a good amount of area. I'm using two 150watt HPS for 12 plants in a 4x4 so don't worry about needing more for that one girl. She'll be fine and will thank you for that light with sticky green buds

19. Thanks guys for the answers. I did lst her multiple times.. I don't know how I can do it anymore though. Like, her leaves are so big that they block but sites. I tuck the leaves in, never removing any healthy ones, but if I bent over the other branches, like the smaller growth on the the left, I'd have to remove like a bunch of needed leaves...

20. You can still train going into flower, and the stretch will help you spread her out. Give her a bit more time, let her fill her roots out and give her a flip...about two weeks. Soon as you bend the taller tops over those shorter ones will catch up. You'll get the hang of it.