Fire hazard

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Hippy_Hay, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Im using a small old dresser as a growbox and the 42 watt CFL's im using are making the wood way too hot. Is there anything i can put on the wood that would stop it from getting too hot and catching on fire?

The wood is about an inch thick could CFL's even catch that on fire or am i just paranoid?

2. fire retarted space blankets?

3. Have you got ventallation? ie, a fan sucking brand new fresh cool air through the box and outside? thats the first thing you gotta have.

Go to the car accessories section of your local fucken K-Mart or where ever, and grab one of those SHINY SILVER CAR WINDSCREEN THINGS, you know, the ones ya put up on your windscreen to reflect all the heat out of your car. Grab scissors and make a reflector out of the ceiling of your grow box... That shit works really well the wood behind it wont get hot at all....

still, ya need a fan too! fucken, otherwise all that reflected heat is gunna just build up.

Dahhh pretty simple

4. fan

i got a question though, water is really good at absorbing heat and retaining heat, would getting a couple 5 gallon buckets just filled with water absorb some of the heat (since heat likes to move from hotter to colder areas). then at night, just move the buckets outside and let them release the heat and but them back when the lights are on? or do you need larger/more encompassing bodies of water to do that? just something i thought of in earth sciences the other day

5. i think for that to be effective redbeardsdeligh, the water would need to be pumped through sleeves in the heat source (the lighting system) and into a radiator where a fan would dissipate the heat into the outside air, akin to the liquid cooling system in your car or in some nerds computer. This is not very practical for this particular job in my opinion!!!

I think its pretty obvious that a well thought out ventilation system consisting of some duct and a fan or 2 is the most practical way for a grower to remove the heat from his garden! Thats why it is done, and has always been done this way!