Fine or chunky ?

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by smokacola, Oct 18, 2011.

1. New to coco, about to order from htg but does it matter which grade i get? Both brands are sunleaves. I Was thinking chunky might breathe a bit better..

2. no to chunky, and no to sunleaves coco if you can avoid it. i used sunleaves my 1 first grow, and i liked it ok, that was until the hydro guy gave me a brick of coco-tek to try.
    the coco-tek is sooooo much easier to expand and work with.

but, if all you can get is sunleaves, no fear, it will work ok

3. Well now im looking at hid hut and they have the coco tek, Red and green bricks but with the same descriptions.. also have botanicare 650 gram bricks but no idea how much it expands to

4. #4 Weedpipe, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2011
    i use 5kg blocks, the brick i was givin by the hydro guy was just for me to see if i liked
    that product better, and i did. the blocks will fill up around 5 to 6 - 3gal pots

add 25% perlite if you want to, alot of guys do

oh, and also, theres a few good cocos out there, heard good stuff about canna-coco, botanicare also

5. I use Botanicare and love it.

6. Can't go wrong with canna coco or botanicare ready gro coco they come loose in a bag all u gotta do is pot and plant no precharge or anything prolly cost a little more than brick coco but u can reuse coco up to 6 times so it's well worth it

7. I like the consistency and texture of the cocotek red mixed brick..the larger bales are a little too fine (pith) and the green brick is also a little too pithy...too much fine particles make the coco take too long to dry out..with the proper consistency you should be able to water all you want without worrying about overwatering. Using the right consistency makes it unnecessary to add any perlite also.

8. I ended up getting a 5kg bale of botanicare ready gro, Then i got 2 bricks of nutrifield which claims to be pre buffered for cal and mag . I havent hydrated them yet i still got a few weeks but im thinking about ammending each of my 2 gallon smart pots with 1/3 of the nutrifield and 2/3 botanicare. Goin with the 6/9 ratio and im gonna add to that some botanicare sweet at 5ml per gal to boost the mg a little further without messing with the calcium and hopefully get some extra flavors goin.

I have a new favorite garden website. plantlightinghydroponics . their prices were stupid cheap for.. well .. everything i bought lol.. especially the mircro and botanicare coco... quick ship too.

9. botanicare cocogro 5kg brick. hydrofarm perlite (big white bag). mykos.

its a beautiful, simple mix

Attached Files:

10. I didn't use perlite my last two grows, but I think I will add 25% to this next run to see if the garden will do a little better.

11. rock the mykos and never go back love the sh!t

12. oh man i love the shit 2. ill NEVER grow without it. im surprised more people dont use it. of course i dont think alot of people know about extreme gardening products, although they should

13. #13 smokacola, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2011

Alright i was gonna ask before but i let it go.. What is it? Whats it do for ya? And does it make your mix a bit hot in terms of feeding.. thanks

14. Damn.. And all i wanted to know was fine or chunky ! That sounds like an incredible product. but that link has led to my having more questions! You ever run a side by side comparison ,with and without mykos ? At what rate do you ammend your coco with it? And do you find that you are feeding less nutrients by using it like the article states? For ease and being new to coco, I was planning on running the head formula 6-9 with GH flora nutes.. thanks for the link by the way. I actually priced the product after i ask and got a short description from the seller. That was alot more informative.

15. i havent done a "side by side" per say, but ive grown w/o it in the past and there is a noticeable difference when you go to transplant. its honestly amazing stuff.