Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Finding seeds

Discussion in 'Marijuana Stash Box' started by I'm Ron Burgundy?, Jan 12, 2015.

1. So over the past year or so I've been collecting any seeds I find in my medical collective pick ups. I'm saving them in hopes they will germinate.
    I feel like the ganja gods are trying to give me a sign to start growing asap :lol:
    The seeds all came from different strains...I can only remember 3 of them: BD, Lavender Lemon, Choco Fire.
    My question is what are the chances of them being female, male or hermies? Also how long will they stay fresh/good in an airtight container? Do these look healthy?
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1421082023.299484.jpg

2. They look healthy I've had seeds for years in the same pill bottle that at least 3 out of 5 germinate but I'm sure there are better ways to store them.As for the question about the sex of the seed it's really a crap shoot I've been told that flowers that self pollinate will always be herms but I've grown out self pollinated flowers that didn't have a seed so it's kinda weird

Sent from my SM-G900T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Thanks fellow blade, that gives me hope at least some will pop. It would be great if at least one is a healthy female.

4. I think there's a sunflower seed hiding in there. :lol:

5. The white one? Lol
    Yeah it's a cannabis seed, but definitely different looking from the bunch.

6. #6 IgnorantFool, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2015
    What they will be depends on what pollinated them...

Chances are that the grower had a hermie, most commercial growers are gonna grow strictly females from clones, meaning that the seeds you have are likely femininized, but no guarantees...

That doesn't tell the whole story...was it self pollinated, pollinated by a hermie of the same strain, pollinated by a hermie from another strain...If a hermie, was it genetic or caused by stress?

Only the grower would know...

There is really no such thing as a hermie seed...male or female only...however, some seeds will genetically be more inclined to hermie than others...it's a stability issue more than a genetic one...

The only way to find out what you have is to grow 'em out...

Keep your seeds cool and dry...ideally in a sealed container with something like a silica pack and then in the fridge...they'll keep for years... :)

7. Great info, thank you IF. :smoke:
    I figured there was no way to tell but at least I have a start in the right direction. Plant genetics are fairly intricate it seems. Crosses, back crosses, self pollination, hermies....etc Lol I have much to learn.

At least it's a fun subject...:)

Then again...I'm a big geek and read about all kinds of crap like that for my own pleasure, and to satisfy my own curiosity...:p

9. The lighter colored one in the middle may not be quite developed enough, a pre-mature seed. Possible it could still pop of course, would just have to try and see. The other ones are very well developed though.

Good luck, you never know...you may have something great contained in one of those!

10. Yeah but if the seeds are anything like the flowers you post Ron you should find some fine genetics regardless if they have a seed or two in them just more seeds you can play with my friend

Sent from my SM-G900T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. #11 Hashtag46n2, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2015
    Ahhhhh..

The ole bagseed mystery.

Most of the time , intrasexed plants will carry the intrasexed traits of the parental strain(s).
    I'll give you a couple insider pieces of advice.

The now infamous Gorilla Glue#4 was discovered via this method, an unknown source of pollination.(please correct me if I'm mistaken here)

However, the grower that bred my Sour Amnesia gave me an ounce of lightly seeded(fully mature) Sour Amnesia buds.

I found 4 seeds out of the whole zip.
    I was really excited, as I *thought* this would be awesome, as I believed I may have some chance of striking a new Pheno of gold.

But, I asked the grower(15 + years of experience ) & he said to stay away from them as he said...
    "I don't know where the pollen came from"

This is an implication that it has a propensity to carry intrasexed characteristics (AKA Hermie)
    As a new grower, I highly recommend to make yourself a little paper envelope, put the seeds inside and seal with scotch tape, place this packet in an air-tight mason jar in your freezer(they will remain viable for years and years.)

Be sure to label them with the strains, and be sure to make a mark indicating that these seeds need a isolated grow space, >completely sealed away from your flowering plants.
    In short; you do not want to start your grow journey with a possible intrasexed crop.

Pheno hunting is for experienced growers with adequate grow space.

They do look healthy however, the white one is a bit immature though.

IF's post was perfectly explained.

You just may have some gold there, but wait until you have some growing experience prior to poppin them.

Here is an example of the paper envelopes I spoke of(if you can see it)
    PM me if you have any other questions, like how to make the envelope ...

Put one of those desiccant silica packs in the jar before placing in the freezer...to absorb moisture.
    [​IMG]