finding jobs in foreign country

Discussion in 'General' started by 010010ryan, Dec 27, 2012.

1. whats it like for an american to find a job in a foreign country?
    not a carreer or anything, just like at a superstore.
    would it be stupid hard like i think?

when i move out im deciding to skip the bullshit and cut to the chase and move to another country, havnt decided were, maybe ireland or new zealand.
    idk, somewhere nice, not a place thats going to be in the news for a terrorist attack or a shooting spree.

whos got some personal experience with finding a job in a foreign country?

2. It's impossible to find a job in Ireland at the moment, high levels of unemployment and we're one of the most broke countries in the EU... we've been bailed out by the EU several times.

We don't really have 'superstores' in Ireland, we have department stores and supermarkets though. Ikea is probably the only 'superstore' I can think of, but it's in a pretty rough area (couldn't imagine an American living there haha)

3. Ur moving out cuz of a shooting?

Terrorist attack? Its been 11 years lol

4. Hmmmm

5. You might have trouble getting a visa to live in New Zeland if you're looking for unskilled labour jobs.

6. #6 010010ryan, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2012
    no just cause i think for the most part this is a shit country. and when im down, change helps. and as low as ive been changing country sounds about right

lmao ya got me :rolleyes:

7. perhaps, but i dont plan on just visiting, plan to uproot and go, ya know?

become a citizen and shit, get my degree.

and idk about new zealand, just said it cause i know its an incredibly beautiful country

8. It depends on where you want to live but either way I wouldn't bet on landing a menial unskilled job. Why would a business go through the process of hiring a foreigner to fill a position that a local could do? That's a lot of paperwork just to pay someone minimum wage; and on that note, you wouldn't qualify for a working visa or residency doing that anyway. A company has to vouch for you. Those visas are typically granted to people with degrees or a particular set of skills, and they can easily cost over $5000. I had to have a lawyer on retainer for $4000 upfront just to get the initial paperwork one time.

With that said, I suggest you explore your immigration options by looking up the various types of visas available in the country where you want to move. Some countries offer "working holiday" visas to people under 30 which allow you to stay and work for up to two years without having a job lined up prior to your arrival. You could also shoot for a 3-6 month tourist visa to any country and hustle hard to change to something more permanent once you are there. When I don't want to bother with immigration stuff I just keep renewing my tourist visas and say I'm "traveling".