Find It Hard Speaking To Kids

Discussion in 'General' started by IvGotMilk, Jun 12, 2014.

1. I have no idea what to say to them. I've had this problem ever since I became a teenager. They'll run up to me and hold up a toy and say "Look!" and the only thing I can ever think of to say is "Nice!". I watch older people, especially girls/women speaking to kids and they always keep the conversation going smoothly talking about toys and things. But for me, I just look at their parents and stand there awkwardly afraid to say something inappropriate. 

It's not something that bothers me, I just want to know if I'm the only one?

I have the same problem with babies. When my cousin brought her baby to visit, my first reaction was to pet him like a cat!! I have absolutely no experience with babies and god forbid I ever have one of my own!!

Yes you are the only person on this planet with this problem. You might want to go and see a doctor about that  :hide:

3. Don't pet babies, their owners usually disapprove of it

4. I dislike small children to the point of hatred lol

Sent from my SM-T210 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

funny, since you too once were a child.

anyway, i don't have children but I revere and respect children as I do the elderly.

children should be protected and listened to... because only a nurtured mind will be capable of greatness. their innocence transcends today's mixed up world and truth does come from the mouth of babes.

on topic... OP kids like to talk about themselves, kinda like women... ask them questions about their toy.. relate a story from when you were young...offer a simple wisdom they can understand...

i dunno i guess it comes easy to me, coz I'm like a kid at heart... everywhere i go some kid calls me uncle... lol 

6. It's hard if it's some random persons kids, guys are "too creepy" if they can play along with kids but are "dicks/assholes" if they can't.

#modernguyproblems

7. Ha. Its a sometimesy thing with me. Sometimes i just don't wanna talk to or entertain people...it just happens that cute (or not so cute) kids and babies aren't exempt from this. Then i just kinda give em a awkward smile and hope they go away

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. this is how i interact with everyone

9. i just ignore them for the most part. strangers kids, that is. my friends kids arent so bad..when they're quiet.

10. Kids are no problem for me to interact with other than the small ones learning to talk. Sometimes I have a tough time understanding them. Kinda like pissed drunk adults.

11. Not always, it depends on how you come across and your appearance. If you're a generally playful person and reasonably attractive most people don't care, or if you have kids of your own. If you come across as really quiet and breath deeply while staring at children before you approach them, yes it's creepy. Don't be a creep, yo.

12. I don't enjoy talking to other peoples kids. My son... Yeah. The 6 kids that live next door, or kids I don't know... It's not fun explaining things to them and generally sends my anxiety up. My neighbour is like the kid whisperer. Kids are attracted to her and she's so excellent with them.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

13. Goo goo gaga lil bitch get outta here

14. #14 IvGotMilk, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2014

I'll try this advice next time!! It's hard to relate with kids nowadays for me because they're all using iPads and shit, so I can't exactly talk about things I did like playing with action man... Suppose I could talk about various apps they use haha knowing me they'll end up with links to piratebay and torrent downloads !!

15. Hey bro I'm the same way.  I'm socially awkward already with strangers but with kids it's multiplied.  idk how to talk to babies or act around them.  I think it's because I'm the youngest sibling in my family and I've never been one to care for a young.  It's not a needed skill for me though, I'm never having kids.

16. Kids make it awkward

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. This is why excellent primary school teachers (Child Development-5th grade) should be applauded because it takes a lot of patience and understanding to really understand a child and to talk to them while showing discipline. Anyway, think of it like this, you were a kid once and you were the same way. Just have fun with the kids.

Just relax lol

19. it's only awkward if you care what they think of you.. I can't really stand kids so I don't care what I say to them or how they think of me. 

20. Michael Jackson found it hard when he spoke to little kids too. Hard in a different way though.

Sent from a Stoner in Colorado.