Financial Advice?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheElcinator, Oct 27, 2011.

1. I'm a stay at home mom, and my husband is trying his absolute damndest to find a job.

Point is, we have no money, no income, and a 10 month old daughter. We at least receive food stamps. We live in my brothers house. Our rent is basically buy them $100 of food with our stamps.

My dad gave me $20 today to get my daughter more diapers and liners for her bottles, so that money disappeared pretty quick. But he's almost as broke as we are.

I'm trying to get my act in gear to start drawing commissions for money, but until I get a fan base, or someone who will want to buy my work shows up, I'm kinda SoL there. We're scraping knuckles here to get by.

Until we come across a job, does anyone have any suggestions to make some extra cash to help us get by? I've tried donating plasma, but I'm so small that I can't do it without passing out every time, and my husband can't do it because of something in his blood. And no, I can't sell pot. lol

Any other suggestions though would be fantastic. I'm really at a loss here. :confused:

2. play a musical instrument and/or sing along in a rich neighborhood street and advertise that you're raising money for a charity.

3. Well, maybe you should try finding a job along with your husband. Nothing serious, just something part time that'll rake in some cash. You could also sell stuff you don't need on eBay. Sounds stupid, but if you have a lot of junk, you can make a good bit of money.

You could always pull a Nancy Botwin, just sayin :confused_2:

4. Get into web design, its pretty easy, or internet marketing
    Learn how to referee wrestling, the season is coming up and in one Saturday I can make $250

5. I was thinking about the selling part. My roommate makes chain mail jewelry. I was thinking about picking it up and giving it a shot. I love chain mail and it's really not that hard to make. I do kind of look for a job. I throw in an application here and there for myself, but I have to find one that wouldn't drug test. :bongin:

6. Great idea! Apply somewhere that will drug test, and quit doing drugs for a little bit!

7. Bwahaha. I should try the wrestling thing. I just found out how hilarious tv wrestling can be. Unfortunately the only arenas we have are 10+ miles away and we don't have a car or bike, and public transportation is virtually non existent in my neck of the woods.

8. Ditch your worthless husband and live with my you'll never have to work again baby. college for your kid. Nice cars.

9. Nooo highschool wrestling lol, its nothing like the shit on TV

10. You're asking for financial advice and then you say you not only smoke weed, but you would have to find a job that accommodates your needs?

First, I would quit smoking. That's common sense. You have no source of income, so what little money you DO get you should not spend it to get high.

Secondly, if you and your husband have no flow of cash, then you should both apply for jobs and the one who doesn't land a job becomes the stay at home parent for a little bit.

Thirdly, if you are in such a desperate need of money, did it ever occur to you that you should take a break from smoking so if you actually do land an interview and a chance at a job, you don't blow it because you failed a measly drug test?

As far as earning a little extra cash? try going to the free stuff forum on craigslist and sell it back on craigslist. i've heard of people pulling in some cash flow doing this.

Best of luck to you and your family.

Just my .02

11. collect .02 from 50 people then you have a dolllar

12. #12 TheElcinator, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2011
    First of all. I never buy my own weed, in fact, the only times I smoke is when my buds offer me a bowl. Touche my dear. Learn your fact first please. I have never spent a dime of my own money for MJ. I just have generous friends.

As for both applying for jobs, I do throw in apps once in awhile. But what happens when we both get jobs and I don't have anyone to babysit my daughter? No way in hell I can afford child care. It's almost cheaper for one of us to stay at home with her. About $100-$300 a week cheaper.

Edit: Did you know that the cost of child care for a child under 12 months old is also about %50 more expensive than a child older? It's more reasonable for one of us to stay home.

I also am planning on going to college this winter or spring if that helps any.

13. If you both get jobs one of you just tells them that they can't work and explain why.

14. Okay, but didn't it ever dawn on you to quit smoking if you're looking for a job? A lot of places drug test for a job. How do you expect to get hired if you can't get a job? And you both don't have to get jobs. If you think that only one of you needs a job, then as soon as one of you get a job then the other can decline any job they get. Simple as that.

15. Woah woah woah, if this is going to turn into a "You need to quit smoking right now!" thread, I'm just going to delete it. All I asked is for advice to get side cash UNTIL one of us gets a job. You know, $20 here, $10 there?

I didn't come here for a fuckin lecture man.

16. You really should quit smoking for a bit until you get that cashflow though. It's the responsible thing to do, and you have a ten month-old daughter to think about. Get clean, get a job, start smoking again when you have the money. Even though you don't spend the money on it, you refuse to take a job if they drug test?

This is gonna make me sound like a dick so I apologize, but...
    If you're not willing to do EVERYTHING in your power to get a job, don't complain about being so broke.

17. I think you're already making a problem for yourself by saying you'd have to find a job that wouldn't drug test. If you're desperate, that shouldn't be a factor. But it sounds like you don't want a job, mainly because of the hours taken away from your daughter. Well then you would have to make money while being at home. The only way I can think of doing that is a online business of some sort.

I don't know your hobbies but a lot of people use their skills in their hobbies to make extra cash. You said chain mail jewelry is being made by your friend and that you were contemplating joining, I would try that. Best of luck

18. I'm sorry guys, I really don't like being this hard headed, but this isn't what I was asking advice for. If I needed to be told to quit smoking the once maybe twice a week I do, I would go ask my grandma.

I'm not going to get defensive, I'm just saying that if all you're going to tell me to stop smoking (I'm really not going to argue why) then I'm just going to skip over your reply. I have my reasons for not quitting, and it's not something I'm going to discuss here.

ALL I WANT TO KNOW is what kind of odd jobs you can do to make some cash here and there. Like the donating plasma thing. Would have been fantastic if I wasn't such a small person.

Is there anything else I can pick up?

Is it a possibility to maybe post an ad saying I can build you computer from your parts for like $20? Is that something you think anyone would do?

I mean I'm going to be going to college in the next couple months for computer sciences anyway.

19. No. People who buy computer parts usually know how to build a computer already. If they don't, they buy it prefabricated. Look on craigslist for odd jobs.