Finally something that stops bud rot.

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by MrMota, Sep 15, 2021 at 6:27 AM.

1. Every year I have been plagued by this, I get to mids and have to harvest because of bud rot. I am not into the idea of metals e.g. copper. The last experiment failed. It was an 0.7% solution of sodium benzoate at pH5. I think the problem is, when it dries out it goes back into the inactive salt form. Alternates include essential oils such as Tea Tree or fungicidal agents found on plants such as blueberries and wheat.
    °
    I've noted the method involving a temporary emulsion of Tea Tree oil and water. It is a fungicide but its terpenes I think may change the character of the bud. Each EO has its Minimum Inhibitory Concentration for a given organism. EOs such as lavender and peppermint also have fungicidal action but again, the risk is in altering the terpene profile.
    °
    I specified the following characteristics for a good antifungal to test against bud rot and I've been testing without success until now. But it's still early days. It's good to harvest in amber for a change.
    1. Effective at low concentrations.
    2. Safe.
    3. No reported irritant effects.
    4. Preferably a natural substance or one found in nature.
    5. Not pH dependent.
    6. Not oily or alcoholic.
    7. Metal-free.

I'm still experimenting, but hopefully, a low% parabens solution applied through an atomiser in mid flower seems effective.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Do you have the formula for mixing?

3. shall be really interesting

4. I'm still testing at the moment, this is just preliminary. Probably what I will want to do is make up some sachets of powder that can be dissolved and post them to testers. Obviously, I'd want testers who have plenty of experience with bud rot problems, and some would need to be indoor and some, outdoor. I've still got some modifications to make, I'll add propyl parabens at 0.04%. What I don't want to do is begin shouting that I've got this problem solved, when I don't have enough data. But believe me, I'm motivated. I have botrytis problems every year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Hilarious. I had one plant outside the greenhouse because I had already pulled rot off it. So I sprayed the main and larger colas but neglected the small stuff because they're usually not affected. Today it's 20% amber and rain expected, so I harvested. The main cola was fine and the larger ones too. But the rot had already begun on a few small ones. OK, another sign I am maybe on the right track here.

• Like Like x 3
  6. #6 CaptainImtheshit, Sep 16, 2021 at 5:09 AM
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2021 at 5:45 AM
    Have you tried water and oxygenated water mix?
    Give it a literal wash after harvesting (put the solution into something and wave the plant slowly inside it to remove the mold) and dry it like always.

Can't say you won't lose some terps in this process.
    Used to wash brick weed around here with ok results.

7. I grow enough that I just get annoyed when I lose some to bud rot. But I want to stop it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Doing the right thing of course, real progessist right there haha.
    Your results seems quite good, just don't forget to patent it :love-m3j:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Progress report.
    As you know, it's only when you chop and trim that you get a real close up of how your grow did. In this grow I developed the test solution rather late and it's still not fully developed, so please interpret the information in that light. Full disclosure.
    * History *
    I had been pretty assiduous to spray the main cola which was as long as my forearm and hand, and fairly heavy with bud. In the past I have had incidents every year in which, in just 24 hours of warm humid weather, a twisted sugar leaf turn into the whole top cola coming away, rotten. I guess I will have to begin topping... Anyway.
    * Trim *
    During trim I worked my way from branch to branch on the main cola and at first I thought it was rot free. But then I found a patch of rot in one branch. It was dry, seemed to be dead, but too much of the branch had already been damaged so it went into the trim pile for hash. I cannot be sure but it may have already been incubating the rot when I sprayed, and the rot later died.
    The rest of the cola was good and for the first time in ages I got to 20% amber without losing the whole plant to rot.
    I continued working my way down the plant and found a few more patches of dried rot in places.
    * Next *
    The fundamental concept seems to work. I need to research the concentrations of the natural fungicides in (eg) blueberries, which are known to last a long time against rot. The aim being to achieve effectiveness with the MIC or minimum inhibitory concentration.

• Like Like x 1
  10. IMG_20210916_190406[1].jpg
    Partly damaged bud.

11. just out of curiosity do you have grape vine growing in the area?

12. Not that I know of. But why?