Finally got an interview/job evaluation

Discussion in 'General' started by Flonkas, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Hey all, about 3 or 4 days ago I had a thread about how it was so difficult for me to get my first real job. Well I got an email from a place I applied too and they want me to come in for a job evaluation/interview. Its an entry level job, so theres paid training. Now heres what I am asking of you guys. The job description is "using a 10 key data collector to perform physical inventories". I have absolutley no idea what this means and I hope someone here can explain. I know I could probably google it or something but I honestly think the grasscity members are some of the smartest people on the net:wave:

2. prolly just has numbers for the keys like 0-9, you pass the drug test already man?

3. i can tell you exactly what this is, you're either going to be be entering inventory data (serial numbers, dates, po's, etc) from packages/items into this companies database with a computer. or walking around with a little scanner and keypad and entering in the information. or maybe a mixture of both
    Do you know what 10 key is? I would think most people would, but maybe not.
    Go online and look for a free 10key test program, will be a good idea to be able to know what you can key before you go in.

4. man I was going to try doing that synthetic urine crap. you think that would work? again, i dont know if there going to test but prolly

5. oh okay thanks man. 10 key is the square-ish set of numbers on the right side of a keyboard correct?

6. yea exactly, 10key is either going to be exactly like the numbers on the keypad on the right side of your computer. Or they will be like a calculator and have an extra .00 key and maybe a percent key. But just concentrate on the standard pc keyboard 10 key.

I can kinda guess what kinda stats they are gonna look for... Most likely they will be looking for between 10,000-15,000 ksph (keystrokes per hour). This isn't much, and if you're used to typing on a keyboard you should be able to match that speed pretty easy.

I key about 27,000 - 30,000 ksph on a 10key. It's pretty easy to get fast.

7. I will be 10 keying 24/7 until the day of my interview so hopefully I can impress them with some quick movementss:wave:

8. and if anyone has any general tips for the interview I would appreciate it.. also, Im curious as to what to wear?

9. they work, its probably your only choice detox drinks don't work and I doubt you got 30 days to get clean

10. haha awesome man.

even if your score is low when you take these tests, dont worry about it. Lots of people will still hire you and let you train, but will then eventually give you higher standards to reach.

And also... I have a bunch of experience in this type of field, and did some hiring when I was a supervisor....Since you dont have any 10key work experience it wont hurt to bullshit a little. Might help to tell them in your interview that you play 10 keying games online with friends, or that you used to play them in school, or just regular typing games, or some bullshit like that. Sounds like you will be playing these games/10key programs right now until your interview.. so it's only a little bit of a stretch, and depends on how comfortable you are about bullshitting a little.

Hope this helps, and if you have any other questions let me know

11. People say that... but I've used drinks 5 different times in the past, and every time I passed. 3 of those times were for banks where the screening process including fingerprinting and federal background checks.
    But I have heard lots of people and have known lots of people who took detox drinks and failed piss tests, so I never advise people to use them. They've just always worked for me.:confused:

12. Thats a great tip, I would have never thought of that. I actually used to be really big in the online games (diablo, wow) when I was younger so its not a lie at all :)

If you have any tips on how to impress the employers the most I would love it, it seems you really know what your talking about. I dont really know what to ask because I dont know what to expect seeing as I have never had an interview.

13. Yea thats what I will do then. Im not sure what is the best kind though, opinion?

14. true bout its hard to get an interview. im also trying to get a job right now applied online to bout 3 diffrent jobs.

did u have to call to ask status of ur application and shit like that?? friend said i have to

15. Only 3 man? I have 2 pages of places ive applied too.

Yes you should deffinantly call back. This place contacted me first, i didnt have to call them.

16. Well I saw you asking what to wear... for this type of job, you might not need a suit to interview. but a suit never hurts. I'd say a nice button up shirt, slacks, maybe a tie would be good. It sounds like a warehouse data entry job so it should be a pretty casual atmosphere, but dressing professional for an interview never hurts.

And a good idea is to have questions in mind to ask the person intervieiwing you. Questions on the details of the job, not just insurance, pay, hours, etc.
    Since this will be 10 key, ask what type of keystrokes per hour they are looking for, the efficiency, the accuracy. stuff like that.

17. the only one ive seen around here is Quick fix 4.0 thats only one ive used so far make sure the temp is right

18. Alright man Im writing all this down, good stuff. Will take your clothing suggestions and what to ask them. Thanks man. I hope I get this:rolleyes:

19. What are your experiences with it man? did it work?