Finally going to college!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by jellybeansryummy, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Well...it's now official! I'm registered for my classes, freshman orientation is outta the way, finances are all figured out as far as paying for school goes. I'm all set! Just gotta wait for Sept. 3 when classes start!

I can't begin to tell you all how stoked I am. I graduated HS in '04 and through a course of bad choices (in hindsight, they were bad...at the time it wasn't so bad. but isn't that how it always goes???) that really put me under...I haven't been able to go. It was funny being at my orientation and seeing all these freshly graduated n00b kids and how they were basically begrudging the fact that they now have 4-5 more year of school. And there is me..all fucking jacked up to be picking out my classes, excited to find out where shit is on campus and wanting to just get the ball rolling. It's bummed me out so much lately to look at all of my high school firneds who went right away and now they are all graduated or going on to grad school and here I am. I'm so glad that's changing.

Since then in teh past 4 years, I've worked shitty factory jobs because they are the only ones around here that pay well enough to pay the bills every month. These jobs do more than just beat you down physically...they erode your soul away. Believe me when I tell you that you die a little more inside every time you have to punch a clock at 11pm cuz you have to work 3rd shift. I've been threatened with being sued for money I have owed to creditors more times than I care to remember. But it was either pay the rent...or pay the past due cell phone bill. You decide which one is more important. Luckily I have a couple of the most amazing parents in the world who have helped me along the way when shit has gotten really bad.

It sucks having to learn the hard way that there isn't SHIT out there for someone who doesn't have a post-high school education. That living paycheck to paycheck isn't an option...it's unavoidable...they just don't strecth as far as you'd like them to. EVER. Now with the rising price of everything..its even worse.

I'm so freakin pumped to be going to school you guys have no idea. For all of you on the fence about college... GO!!!! Just find a way. In the long run, it will be the best decision you could make for your life. It doesn't matter HOW you get there...just GET there.

I fuckin love college already! lol (just don't ask me about it during finals cuz I'm sure my tune will have changed a bit then haha)

Peace!

2. Holy fucking congratulations, bro. You're gonna have a great time in college and a much better life when you get out. :hello:

3. Thanks, Bro!

Ya I'm really lookin forward to doin it and gettin out. Elementary Education PK-6 FTW!

4. Good testimonial, congrats to you.

Personally I'd say it was smart to go out and work awhile before going, makes you appreciate the difference, best of luck man, sounds like your on the way to 4 kickass years. Oh, and a good life after that too!

5. Oh definitely I think it's a good idea for everyone to take atleast a year off before goign to college. Four years??? not so much heh.

Thanks for the good words.

6. Right on man, though it is my personal opinion that sometimes things go a certain way for a reason, and like Mr Al said, that those 4 years of working taught you something.

I wish you nothing but the best of luck, oh before I forget, if you want, check out ratemyprofessor.com , it can sometimes be helpful in choosing a professors class to take, which Profs to avoid, etc. Just thought I should toss that out there.

Best of luck!

7. thats cool man i am happy for you. i finally went back to school this summer and i am so glad i did. i start classes for fall the same time you do lol. college is fun, i love it and thought i never would. good luck man!

what is your major?

8. Major in Elementary Education with a focus on PK-6
    Minor in Social Science

Wanna be a kindergarten teacher :)

9. thats really cool my friend wants to be a history teacher (and i used to want to be one as well) i always admire people who want to go into teaching. but my major as of right now on my transcript it says major in general education with a minor in prospective nursing.

10. Just did what you said and checked up on all my fuure profs. Looks like only one teacher seems to be a bitch according to the general consesus. Otherwise all the others seems to be alright. Mostly good reviews with the occasional detractors (who porobably were the ones who didn't pay attention/do their homework and were shocked when they got a less than favorable grade)

11. You have 4 years of motivation in the form of a job that you never want to go back to. That should be enough to get you to every class and give 100 percent. I mean not to lecture but I know that you will regret not doing this right

Best of luck to you man. You have found college in your path and unlike so many, come to it at the right time in your life instead of plodding on right after HS. You may be a few years behind your friends now but in ten years you will both have degrees and well paying jobs and it will matter not when you got them.