Finally Found A Good Slug And Snail Deterrent!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Guerillas, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Moved up North Canada two years ago along the coast and the slugs and snails are intense. Tried many different things, even my favorite of burying a container with beer in it doesn't work that great, it gets some of the slugs but a few always get by. The snails it does not work at all for.

Talking with an old hippy buddy about it and he tells me he uses Birch tar mixed 2 to 1 with vaseline. Lightly brush the bottom of the stalk. It repels snails and slugs for around 2 months and does not wash off. I had a hard time finding it, seems very few people sell the stuff, and it needs to be real tar not essential oil.
    Finally found some at Otzis Pouch - Rare and Traditional Birch Bark Products and ordered an ounce.

To my surprise it works, and very well! I used to find 5+ slug and snails on my plants each morning, it has been a few days now and since I put this mix on I have found 0 on any plant. My guesstimation is that this ounce would be enough to do hundreds of plants.

Just wanted to share that as it is a problem that has been driving me nuts. Snails and slugs do huge damage very quickly.

• Like Like x 2
  2. I’m worried about these but luckily haven’t had a problem so far.

3. I use those copper scrubby pads that you get in grocery stores. Pull them apart and wrap them around the bottom of a plant. A package will do 12 plants. Worked great for me this year. They were only a couple bucks

• Like Like x 2
  4. Yeah, those work really well. I pull 'em apart, roll 'em into a tubular shape and then encircle the plant base with 'em, kind of like a barrier fence. Reusable and alot cheaper than that copper tape.
    Previously, I had tried the same technique using thorny stems of native plants - Devil's Club, Black Cap and Salmon Berry bush - but with only limited success. I abandoned that, after I saw a big, black slug - without a care in the world - climbing up the thorny stalk of a Devil Club plant one wet, spring day!

5. That is a new one for me with the scrubby pads, nice!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cheap and Effective
    [​IMG]

7. Three pack for a dollar at the Dollar Tree!

8. I use egg shells, works like a charm.