Finally decided to just build one...thoughts?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by w4z, Jan 24, 2019.

1. So first n foremost I'm an IT guy and this diy is awesome yet not done that well considering I learnt so much during the process...needless to say if I had to do it again it would be way better but anyway as long as it works...

So reason I decided to do this is becoz of being more in control with indoor vs outdoor and the elements

I had some polypropylene boards lying around so decided to cut them up and glue them together to make a grow box. The material is flexible and waterproof so much so that when I was done putting it all together it was flimsy AF...hence had to retrofit a frame in after the fact.

A point to note is I hardly have any tools so cutting etc left stuff a little skew which leads to problems later on in the build and ofcourse the multiple blisters haha

Dimensions
    Width 80cm
    Depth 60cm
    Height 1.7m

2x 45w LED full spectrum lights
    3x 12" fans on USB power
    1x Hygromometer
    1x plug timer for lighting
    1x USB control unit for fans

Its 90% complete...this wkend is the final paint job inside with a brilliant flat white as opposed to mylar or heavy duty foil and Matt black outside keeping it stealthy. Also need to cut some holes in the floor and she'll be ready to rock n roll

Once I'm done I'm planning on building my own custom fitted carbon filters...but for now I plan to start her up asap hopefully on Sunday...

What would be best to start with...an auto or should I try a clone? Got 1x blue cheese and 1x greeen crack clones avail wondering if it's better to start with that

Also the lights hang abt 30cm down hence seems I can grow a plant up to 1.2m...is that enuf for a decent yield? Any idea what yield that could produce.

Comments, suggestions and recommendations appreciated...am a serious beginner so be nice hahaha

Oh and I also added some wheels...huge benefit there

Peace all

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

2. Some pics[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. And more[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. And a few more[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. I think you'll be a little low on light, but looks like a good start. Most people are finding about 50w per sq ft for flower. Looks like you have about 5 sq ft to work with. You could still use those, but expect some shaded area. I would start with a clone over an auto. Easier to correct mistakes. If you have a problem before flower you can take a little time to nurse things back to health. Just make sure they're healthy clones to start.

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ah yes that's my concern too...I was hoping to put in minimum of 150w lighting but due to financial constraints and the fact I got these 2 lights at an absolute steal I thought it would be a good way to start...over time I'll now save up and upgrade lights when I can. I have spent hours ensuring its light proof...some light obv comes thru where the fans are but I'm assuming that should be fine especially when I place the box in a dark spot.

Excited to get it going and thank you will def start with a clone. I reckon the box can grow up to 2 plants max but it's for personal consumption so that's enuf for me...just wondering if a plant gets up to 1.2m high wondering what yield that could produce or an estimate atleast as I know it ain't a perfect science and different strains will produce different results

Thank you for the feedback

7. I just put a piece of black construction paper over my fans. Bend it to a u shape so air can go by, but light can't go straight thru. A couple of plants with your space and light, I'd expect a couple ounces. With experience, good genetics and more light I'd think like 5 or 6 oz is possible.

8. Thanks for the tip will give it a try. Question on carbon filters? Can I buy a carbon filter cartridge which fits a pool pump...add activated carbon pellets to it and duct it to my fans...will that work

9. Worth a try. Probably too small to do much tho.

10. Word of caution on a DIY carbon filter. I tried that route when I started out and ended up investing almost as much in parts for that "budget build' than I did in the end to buy a proper one since it didn't end up adequately scrubing the smell. Inside and out, my house stunk.

Most of that was due to my fan selection which I also cheaped out on (inline duct booster fans, no no) which did not have the draw power to move enough air through the Carbone.

In the end, $150cad on Amazon got me a proper fan/filter combo that is more than adequate for my 4x4. I run it at its lowest speed. Link for your reference.

VIVOHOME 4 Inch Inline Duct Fan with Speed Controller Leather Sheath and Air Carbon Filter Odor Control Scrubber for HVAC Ventilation 2 Sets

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Finally switched it all on...still need to do the carbon filters and over time invest in better lighting but a start nonetheless [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. Any plans to stop the lights on the PC fans?

13. As in the led lights on the fans...? Havent thought of doing that...pretty easy to do literally need to cut 1 wire off each although any benefit to doing that?

14. As a IT guy I can only recomend that you keep it open architecture / like a pc

so you can swap and adjust even tinker to your delight

first to go imo: is the USB power stick go direct to a power transformer ex phone is good

keep inlet vent passive..and run a smoke vent test

just to check... you don't wanna find vent issues half way thru bud

good luck

15. Yes, it'll be necessary for dark periods. Otherwise, particularly in flowering, it'll be an issue.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Thanks guys appreciate the recommendations...so I'm not planning to keep fans on when lights go off...planned to time them with the lights although buuuut you make a good point...what if I want the fans on when the lights are off

Light bulb moment lol

A smoke test is a fantastic idea

Thanks all

17. Exactly. Keeping the fans running when the lights are off would be good so you can keep fresh air moving through the grow space.