Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Finally decided to get a card

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Blutteufel, Feb 3, 2008.

1. I've finally come to the decision to become a MMJ patient but, unlike the recreational aspects of grass, I know nothing of the medical side. I don't even know for sure if they give you cards in Canada. I've had insomnia my whole life, and it has really hampered or even prevented many things I enjoy, and since I was 16 I've had chronic back pain and mild muscle spasms. The back pain never goes away, and while most days it can easily be dealt with, on others I can't even get out of bed (thankfully, this only happens once every month or two, sometimes less frequently). I could care less about the muscle spasms, but on days when my back is really killing me, it makes it much worse. Combined with the worst cases of my insomnia (when I'm up for five days or more), the pain borders on delirium. My doctor knows I use marijuana to medicate myself (but he doesn't know that I also use it recreationally, which could complicate the process; it's sort of an 80/20 thing, medical/recreational). He has seen the changes it has made and said himself it seems to be more effective than most of the meds I've been given, not to mention that it helps with many more, minor problems at the same time.

However, he has dropped subtle hints that he would prefer it if I used "real" medication, but he supports my use of marijuana if it really does help as well as he thinks it does (and he would be right). I don't know how to go about talking to him about it, though, since he can be somewhat stubborn at times, not to mention the fact that his clinic is usually very busy and I wouldn't have time to explain all the benefits and misconceptions about medicinal use. Plus, I get a vague feeling that he sees me as some sort of junkie.

I used to have a veritable army of dealers that I could call upon at any time in case one went dry, unable to be contacted, etc. Within the last few months, though, I've noticed that they've all been slowly disappearing, whether they've been arrested, moved and/or changed their numbers, quit dealing or began dealing on an extremely small scale to maybe two or three people. Plus, the cops have been cracking down on dealers around here for some reason, and I know four people that have been caught in stings or reverse stings or whatever the hell they call them, and there are crackheads and wiggers that hang out around dope spots waiting to jump customers. I think it's because most of them also sell shit like shrooms and meth and whatever else they can get their hands on. It's becoming dangerous to buy from the people I already know, and even more dangerous from the ones I don't, and, like I said, my dealer army is dwindling. My back has been geting worse lately due to my job, which involves a lot of sitting in a car and driving around, and sitting too much really isn't a good thing for your back, regardless of whether or not it's already in pain.

I have a followup appointment soon, and I'm going to tell him, among other things, that I would like a safe and reliable way to get my medicine without fear of getting arrested or mugged by some douchebag. I'm still not 100% sure how I should handle it, though, and I'm going to need to say a lot of ther things as well, so any help would be much appreciated.

2. dont do it dude getting a card is the worst thing you can do

_______(insert picture of funny "no!!" picture here)

3. How is getting a card the worst thing I can do? I always saw it as quite the opposite.

4. So, can anyone else help me here?

5. well idk wat to tell u its in ur hands if u feel ur condition is bad enough to get a card go for it and if its not that bad try any way haha:smoking:

6. go get that card. just tell your doctor flat out that you feel mj has helped you the most out of everything you have done for your pain/insomnia and also how you dont feel safe just trying to get your meds anymore. i doubt he can pass that up.

7. Sounds like it helps just becareful that he doesnt just think your getting a card for the wrong reasons ie for recreational use instead of the right reasons in your case.

Hope all goes well.

8. Tell him your sick of having to deal with shady dealers. I don't know if there is a mmj system in Canada? There could be, I just don't now about it.. :)

9. dude, if i can get hydrocodone 10`s for a headache in the us you can get a card for insomnia in canada

10. Well, I'm a member in Victoria BC. I got a membership at the local compassion society (see my signature). If you feel it helps you for medical reasons then I see no reason why you shouldn't go get it. If I'm too late posting this, which I just realised I am... nevermind...

11. you don't need to see YOUR doctor to get it. some sites have a list of doctors that recommend medical marijuana. all you have to do is call and make an appointment, bring in at least something to verify you have some sort of illness that medical marijuana can benefit you ( in your case your back, so bring in a folder of records showing your backs fucked) then you walk in, they will take your blood pressure. Give you the folders ( not really a "card" well at least for me in the US) then you leave. no questions asked. it's really a trip in a way. It really is that easy.

:wave: