Final week of flowering, just flushed, noticed root rot on 1 plant

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Sinister, Mar 8, 2012.

1. #1 Sinister, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2012
    Blah

So I have never dealt with root rot before.. here is my situation.

I have 2 monster plants in 3.6gal pots and they are finishing up on week 9.. today I took them out and flushed them with a little over 6 gallons of water each, the first one was fine..

However the second one immediately hit me with the rotting smell as I took off the bottom tray of the pot, argh So I flushed it with 6 gallons of water, mixing in a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide with the last gallon..

I also kept the bottom snap-on tray that came with the pot off, and placed it in a big open tub so that hopefully it can drain faster/easier and get lots of more air to the roots, I also put a fan blowing directly over the soil and the bottom of said pot.

The smell was pretty obvious and I knew immediately what the problem was.. I did not see any sludge but the smell was very obvious and when I flushed out the medium the smell was still there but by the time the 6th gallon seeped out of the plant the smell was a lot more faint.

I know exactly how this happened and it was due to a overwatering on my part 1-2 weeks ago..

The big question is, do I ride this out maximum 7 days until I chop it, or do I cut it down right now? I am very paranoid because this plant has at least 3 oz on it and its all very dank. The buds are all swollen, about 70% of hairs have turned, and id say 50% of the hairs have receded back into the bud.. so at this point I may just be missing out on a tiny bit of weight and flavor if I harvest now.

The buds dont smell like anything but dank, and before I flushed and took off the bottom pan I never smelled this..

Is there something else I can do to check for how serious this has gotten? Cut open one of the buds, check for bud mold/rot? (The horror) -- I am not really able to take the entire plant out of the pot.

They are ready to go with about 15% clear 60% cloudy and 25% amber trics.. so cutting it down now would not be the biggest problem, I just don't want to make it worse by letting it go this extra week. -- I am also especially paranoid about the buds getting that rotting smell, I am fairly positive the buds are fine so far, they smell super dank, look completely healthy and are surrounded by frosty healthy green leaves.. If I knew I could harvest these without problems during curing I'd do so.

ANY input at all I'd love to hear it, especially if you have been through it yourself, I have been growing for a decade+ and this is my first root rot problem.

Thanks so much for anyone willing to help :)

Room temp lights on = 78-85 lights off - 65-70 with humidity 20-45% never higher than 45%

ocean forest soil, fox farms nutrients, last fed nutrients 6 days ago

Pretty much what I am thinking is I should harvest that plant tonight, but I am afraid since obviously they just got flushed that the shit might make it to my buds and destroy them soon.. and if it can last the week maybe the new flushed water can circulate and get rid of anything that woulda harmed the final product. I am stuck for now.

2. Well I decided to chop it tonight out of fears it may get worse or spread.

I am in good fortune all of the buds seem fine and smell great with no signs of rot or mold.

Dodged a bullet there maybe.

3. How was the harvest sinister?

Glad to hear that's not a problem anymore. I looked around the internet for a solution to your problem with no avail. This smoke is to you. :bongin:

4. #4 1sttimegrower, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2012
    For future reference were I you, I would have let it finish. What's bugging me is that you think the rot can spread from the roots to the buds; can it? I don't think bud rot and root rot are similar (for one thing, they vary in color VASTLY, for another environments for each are different)

I've been repeating this all over to hydro growers because of the amazing success I've had with it, at fighting rot and speeding plant growth up. If you brew a tea of earthworm casting, degrative bacillus strains ( to break down dead material, aquashield / sensizym / hygrozyme ), and endo + ecto mycos you'll never get rot. I'm basing this off the hundreds of pages dedicated to the original post (google white root slime cure), and off the fact that my lazily tossing the tea into infected res's cleared them up.

Edit: Just realized that you were in soil (for the majority of your post I thought you were hydro XD)
    The tea will work at inoculating your soil and preventing rot anyways, just like in hydro.
    When I got rot in this 15 gallon tub, I fixed it with a 1% H2O2 flush followed by a normal water flush - took the plant a while to recover, but she perked up. The H2O2 stressed her though, and since I now know about this tea, I'll be only doing preventative measures.

5. #5 Sinister, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2012
    Hey Thanks guys

Yea the harvest for the infected plant was fine, I agree with 1sttime it definitely could of went longer safely more than likely, once I was finished trimming and I took the soil out the roots were only slightly sludgy. -- Yea I was not positive if it could spread but my main concern was that the water draining out when I flushed had the rotting smell, and I did not want that to get inside my lovely buds!

Anyways I left the other one because it was fine and it will probably go another week or two. Still waiting for the first part to dry but it looks and smells awesome.

Thanks for the tea advice 1sttime, I will be sure to use it next time I run into this. :)