Final Fantasy VIII

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by Hello there!, May 12, 2011.

1. Probably. It's why I love the old ones so much. They are mostly open map. You can wander for hours before finding the correct area/location. Which is both good and annoying. Good for grinding/leveling. Annoying because you just want to reach your destination and kick some ass.

2. I liked FF8. My favorite so far has been Tactics though. I liked X too, more for its specs and tech than actual story - though the gameplay was good. Haven't played 13, idk if i will.

I also played 11 for 3 years (garuda server) and 14 for about 4 months before I gave up on it. God, what a steaming pile 14 was...

3. If I was still the Final Fantasy fanatic I once was I'd have flipped out at that. lol
    Before VI they all had a medieval theme!:smoke:
    I've been thinking of something I could actually use this netbook thing for (other than DOOM or Duke Nukem 3D). Gonna fire up some SNES classics while smoking weed in the woods.:smoke:

4. Awesome! Rep limit :(

5. IX was the best,
    i need some smoke, gonna
    have to resort to snes zelda and mario
    for the evening though.. : /

6. My fav: FF X. Hands down the best. I loved the story, the game play, loved the challenging bosses, loved characters, loved the ending, loved spending that whole year it came out playing this game over and over on my PS2 back in the day.

7. #47 Hello there!, May 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2011
    I was too young for FF when 7 and 8 came out. I played them so I remember them and have the nostalgia, but they went way over my head. 10 came out at the perfect time for me to appreciate it and suck me in to the series so that I could grasp at all the others. Amazing. Simply amazing. :smoke:

I LOVED mario 64.. used to go over to my buddy's house in middle school all the time and we'd always play outside, then we'd play his n64, and he'd end up falling asleep so I'd play mario all throughout the night. my dad would pick me up in the morning and it was obvious i hadn't gotten any sleep and he'd call me out on it but i denied it every time, even though i fell asleep in his truck every time. haahaha. such good memories!

8. #48 Vicious, Sep 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2011
    I just found all my old PSX games and was about to pop this in but decided to run through IX and FFT first. Maybe it's because I wanted to be happy and never finished IX. I don't think you can get a full appreciation for VIII on the first play through. There is so much in the side quests and lore of the world that needs to be explored to understand, then once you start putting it together it all makes sense.

I have a weird line up, most people who liked VIII, liked X and XII, XIII, most people who liked VI, VII, like the oldschool feel games like XI, FFT, etc. I didn't like X or XIII. Well, It's not that I didn't like them they just didn't draw me into the world like the other ones did. My lineup is FFT, VI, VII, VIII, XI, XI (LVL 90 PLD, 80 DNC, 75 NIN, 75 RDM) and XII. I played the shit out of XI. When XII came out it had massive cities, quests, marks. It felt like an MMO. The world was vaste and there was tons to do. Hell, the Tiamat fight took HOURS. I don't see how they went from pure focus on open world to a rail game like XIII. I was 130+ hr when my first gen PS3 was stolen with the game inside. I was more pissed about loosing my file than the system. I still haven't finished it. I think if I replayed X and XIII, especially the international versions, I would enjoy it more. (I'm a complete whore when it comes to dubbing, I think english VA are corny and I like to hear shit in the orignal language as it was originally directed rather than a port)

With that said, they really don't make games like this anymore. VIII is one of my favorites among VI and VII but VIII holds a special place and truly is an epic. I cry like a bitch when I play this game. The Sorceress War, Ellone, Leguna, The Orphanage, Time Conpression. The places you explore in the game don't have an importance until you understand it but when you do It's one of the most well put together stories in the franchise. To bad a lot of people never gave the game a shot, dropped it because of the draw system, or before the story really picked up.

What do you guys think of the theory that Rinoa is actually a past Ultimecia? It's probably one of the most discussed theories of the game but I don't buy it. If it was intended I think the writers would have put a more heavy influence of this in the story. When you look at the points towards it however it's definitely a possibility.

Side note; Kefka is the evilest, best villain ever. When have you ever seen a video game villain poison a water source.

9. Loved FF8. The junction system took a little to get used to in the beginning, but you learn to love it. FF9 is my favorite and now you're making me want to dig up the old dusty PS1 and pop it in for a wave of nostalgia. So stoked for the HD FFX remake as well.