FIM Method on LST'd Sideshoots?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by PastyWhitey, May 20, 2009.

1. Has anyone tried using the FIM method on the branches that sprout out using the LST method?

Wouldn't this create an insane amount of colas?

Another idea I was thinking about was topping the main stem during LST to split off the stem multiple times, basically allowing you even more possible side shoots?

Has anyone tried this, or is this just a normal thing to do with the LST method?

2. Wouldnt tying down the top and utilizing the sidegrowth in the same way serve the same purpose, keeping HST out of the loop (topping,fimming) so its strictly LST? Just a thought.

3. ive done lst, topped....and im sure i FIMmed since many accidentally do it as they are topping. check out my journal:smoking:

4. #4 john, May 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2009
    You can't go wrong with topping and LSTing.
    I have FIMed before, and it is not as easy as it looks on paper (or screen).
    I grow quite a few plants, and when i FIMed them only half of them actually FIMed, the other half ended up with their top leaves cut in half. I had half my plants taller than the other plants, which were a pain in the ass. The FIMed plant did look assume and have more colas. If you can master the knack, it would be a good techinque. I now use feminized seeds so i wouldn't take the chance on topping of fimming.

EDIT: there was little difference in yield in FIMed plants compare to the plant that grew normally, the only advantage was that there was less popcorn buds in the FIMed plants

5. Well I was thinking more of FIMing the sidegrowth since once you LST, they each think they are a cola. Basically, turning one side shoot into four.

6. #6 smoove, May 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2009
    Just LST.

You can already get an "insane amount of colas" with just LST... without all the growth stunting you'll get from topping and FIMing.

My 2cents.

Edit: Here's some evidence that LST is all you need.

1 plant - 44 days from clone - Under 400watt HPS - LST Only:

[​IMG]

7. That is one of the few times in my life I have ever thought, "Wow. What a bush"

8. You said a mouthful. I wanna see the yield on that monster. :smoking:

9. I use am trying a different technique of topping on my new crop. It's kind of a simple way to get 4 main stocks instead of 1. I let the plant grow normal until the 5th set of leaves is coming up. Then top the 3rd set of leaves off at close to a 45 degree angle between the 2 little nodes. Waiting untel the 5th set is growing allows the 3rd set to mature and you can more easily see what you are doing (No more messing up)...Then after those 2 nodes start growing and turn into the main stockes, let them grow untel 3 sets of leaves are coming off both. Then cut off the 2nd set of leaves off those 2. What you get is 2 more main shoots off each of the first 2 creating a square of main shoots. If you top off the 3rd set on these 2 shoots it will make the plant have a line of 4 shoots instead of a square, making it very unbalanced so don't do that! Each cut only takes about 2 days of recovery so it doesn't slow growth to much...Next step is optional. Because of the recovering of each cut, the 1st set of leaves on the plant will have started to grow out and catch up with the plant. If you leave this you could potentially have 6 main shoots but I cut these branches off after I needed them to take in light so I will just have a neet 4 tops.