Filters - In or Out?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by dbBrooklyn, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Just a quick question,
    Should the filter be inside or outside the grow room?
    Another way to ask this is.....
    Is it better to suck or blow the odor through the filter?

(please refrain form the cheap jokes..........unless they are good)
    ;)

2. good question, i was wondering this 2! i wanna say that its better to suck than blow, but im not really sure, im sure someone will know though.

3. Yeah justmassive
    I had this question posted under "indoor growing" and did not get much info,
    I hope I am more successful here. I was thinking having the filter inside but I saw a few designs that have it outside.
    Any help would be nice.

4. Ideally you want to suck air through the filter, but blowing through a filter woud work fine too, you'll just have to replace it faster

5. what he said

6. Filter in room.

Push air. By pushing you create a slight pressure increase behind the filter, forces more air thru the carbon.

Pulling air, it will find areas of least resistance, meaning less surface area of your carbon filter will be utilized.

Sure pulling = longer filter life, also means less odor control. IMO.

7. i thought i had it down. I would pull room air through my hoods and push the hot air out through the carbon filter. It didnt seem to help much with the odor. Then i had a revalation. I have scentlock hunting boots that have activated carbon for odor control. After each hunt, to prepare the boots for the next one. You are supposed to place in dryer for 45 minutes. Hmmmmm, hot air releases odor from the activated carbon. Imagine that. My point - NO HOT AIR through filter. And by the way, i put old carbon filters in oven at 250*f for 45 minutes and they work great AGAIN.