Filter slime in my RDWC

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by FarmerJames, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Hey All,

I have been battling a problem with my girls in my RDWC system. After a great deal of frustration I thought it was finally resloved.

http://forum.grasscity.com/sick-plants-problems/1245812-help-plants-dying-when-moved-flower.html

They are looking much better and showing new growth. I went to check on them this morning and found the recirc pump was not moving any water. Checking the pump I found the intake filter completely plugged with a tanslucent slime. I have never seen anything like this before. I have had algea in the past but it has been brown or grey.

I looked closely at the roots yesterday and they looked fine. I took a quick look at them this morning and don't see any change. I have no sign of bad stuff in my control tank either.

Can anyone identifiy the crud in the pics?

I am going to replace the filter and dose the system with H2O2 again. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!!

FJ.

Attached Files:

2. I swapped out the filter and added 4ml/gal H2O2. Below is a pic of the inside of the old filter.

Attached Files:

3. Yep! that and blocked nozzles got me to return to soil grows ...that was years ago, you need to change your rez more often maybe 2x times a week, until this is under control, bleach will do it, but you need to locate the source and remove that, not pick up after the party

4. Thanks for the response.

I don't quite understand what you are recommending though. I have flushed my nutes, I am not sure of the source and don't have any plans for a party.

5. Checked the roots a bit closer and they look good as far as I can tell. I do see two distinct "sets" of roots.

One is a central group of long thin roots coming from the center of the netpots. They are very fine and form a single mass or clump.

The other consists of thicker shorter roots that exit the netpots on all sides and do not clump together.

I did see that my earlier troubles only affected the plants with the first root type.

Could the material clogging the filter be root  material that sloughed off of the unhealthy plants?

6. Does anyone have have any thoughts on this?

It's not like anything quite like this before.

7. Yep! that and blocked nozzles got me to return to soil grows ...that was years ago, you need to change your rez more often maybe 2x times a week, until this is under control, bleach will do it, but you need to locate the source and remove that, not pick up after the party

I'm saying change your rez(reservoir) at least 2 times per week, add a solution of up too 5-10% household bleach, and allow to circulate for at least an hour each time, flush with clean ph Neutral air temp water, and check your lines for shit ..obstructions that may impede flow.

8. Thank you for the clarification.

I have my #2 tank filled and ready for clones. Perhaps I can dose the #1 tank with bleach, give it a couple of hours then move these girls over to the fresh tank. Then I can drain and sanitize the #1 tank and put my new clones there.

Any idea what the crud in my filter was ?

Thanks for your help.

FJ.