Fight To Live (zombie story)

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by Goopus, Nov 7, 2011.

1. #1 Goopus, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2011
    (I guess this is what I get for watching The Walking Dead and smoking weed afterwards... This is basically Walking Dead fanfiction.) The story isn't close to being finished yet. This is just a teaser.

Chapter One: A Nice Sunday Swim

I took a glum look around at the rubble-strewn poolside area. I hawked a quick loogie and spat into the filthy expanse of water. It was a nice day for a swim but somehow I wasn't really looking forward to it.

I was just glad that blood and entrails had clouded the water enough to avoid seeing the body at the bottom of the pool. But I knew that it was there. I had fired the shot that had sent the man stumbling into the pool minus his head.

Of course it was only after I shot the man that I realized the fellow's truck was parked outside. It appeared to be fully functional but there was still just one glaring problem. The keys to the vehicle were almost certainly in the pocket of the man's jeans.

"Well..." I commented slowly as I knelt at the edge of the pool, grimacing at the stench emanating from its nasty surface. "This is going to be unpleasant."

I had to get those keys. I would be risking a thousand different types of infections entering the pool... but I would be risking certain death to be caught on foot by a horde of walking corpses.

"Sometimes I hate being right," I muttered to myself, taking a deep breath.

Without allowing one more thought to enter my mind, I stepped off into the pool of death. My eyes were closed tightly as I plunged deep into the red-tinged darkness.

I groped blindly, trying to find the corpse of the walker as soon as possible. My heart leaped into my throat as I opened my eyes. Nasty water entered my nose and I backpedaled a bit.

A pale white face glared at me only inches away through the murky water.

I pushed the limp face aside with one flailing palm. I thrust my hand into the corpse's water-logged jeans. I felt the distinctive touch of a key-ring and grabbed it.

I kicked off the bottom of the pool immediately, striking out for the surface with all haste. I hauled myself out of the pool with my elbows and collapsed in a dripping, filthy heap.

"I need a shower," I spluttered, clutching the keys tightly to my chest.