Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Fibro and neuralgia

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Mymedican, Jun 24, 2010.

1. I have been diagnosied with Fibro and neuralgia. Any suggestions on strains, or better method then smoking. Any help would be great! Thanks Keep smiling!:)

2. my mum has fibro. i just bought her a vape yesterday. :smoking:
    did you smoke before you were diagnosed?

3. #3 Typewritermonky, Jun 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2010
    Indica's will be great for helping you get to sleep and for calming the nerve pains. Bong rips of these at night such as Purple Erkel, Pot of Gold and other notorious strong Indica strains (Google is your friend!) will knock you out and allow you to enjoy time at home.

Sativa's are great for energetic highs, keeping the pain down and helping you get through your day. Vaping these is a great idea with pipe/bubbler hits throughout the day to keep you awake and energized. Sativas such as Kali Mist, White Widow and others will get you stoned, help with the pain and ease the troubles of the day.

Ways other then smoking are vaporizing (no combustion!), edibles (CannaButter, CannaMilk, CannaOil) and extracts (such as THC extracted into glycerine, alcohol or others). Google is riddled with information such as recipes, health guides and other great strains for you!

Not to nitpick or anything, but this might be the wrong place to post this in. Try posting this to the Medical Marijuana section of the forum (or a mod can move it?) because that seems to fit your problem a bit more and you will probably get a lot more help. Have you looked into getting your card? Remember you can talk to your doctor about anything, patient-doctor secrecy.

Goood luck and keep smiling :).

4. I have fibromyalgia too. I haven't got my card yet, so I can't speak from personal experience, but I haaave been collecting strain names from various lists I've seen of what strain has helped what illness. Even though various people have said these strains have helped them, it is no guarantee that they'll help you, since everybody's different.

Blueberry
    Bubblegum
    Sour Diesel or other diesels ok
    Lifesavor
    Amsterdam Bubble Funk
    Sweet Tooth
    Jack Herer or Jack crosses probably
    Kali Mist
    Juicy Fruit

I don't know how these will work out for you. You'll see that some are indica's some sativas, At least it is a place to start. I hope this helps.

Sammy

5. Fibro here as well. As stated Indica's and Vaporizers are your friend.
    My personal favorite for pain would be Romulan. It has been in the medicinal community for years and is tried and true medicine. Though it can be a little to much if i have things to do. :smoking:

Hybrids are usually good for day time relief. Blue Dream is a great example of good body high while keeping functional.

The best person to ask would be your Bud-tender though. They should know their stock and be able to give you an idea of what meds suit your needs.

Greens to you

6. Sit down, get as comfy as you can, and start reading! (This is from my home list which will be available in August. If you email me now- see my sig- I'll send you the "short" list of 250 pages of links like this, and you'll automatically get the Summer 2010 list when it comes out. :D )

Cannabis Sativa (Marijuana) for Fibromyalgia (list -no date)
    Cannabis Sativa (Marijuana) for Fibromyalgia

Cannabis for Chronic Pain: Case Series and Implications for Clinicians
    (abst - 2002)
    Cannabis for Chronic Pain: Case Series and Implications for Clinicians

Clinical Endocannabinoid Deficiency (full - 2004)
    Clinical Endocannabinoid Deficiency - Phoenix Tears Library

Fibromyalgia, IBS, and the Endocannabinoid-CB-Receptor (ECBR) system
    (abst - 2004)
    Abstract: GUEST EDITORIAL: Fibromyalgia, IBS, and the Endocannabinoid-CB-Receptor (ECBR) system

Delta-9-THC based monotherapy in fibromyalgia patients on experimentally induced pain, axon reflex flare, and pain relief (abst - 2006)
    Delta-9-THC based monotherapy in Fibromyalgia patients on experimentally induced pain, axon reflex flare, and pain relief.

THC Reduces Pain in Fibromyalgia Patients (news - 2006)
    Illinois NORML - THC Reduces Pain in Fibromyalgia Patients

Study of analgesic effects of oral THC in Germany ... (abst -2007)
    Study of analgesic effects of oral THC in Germany ...

Fibromyalgia: Effective Treatment with Medical Marijuana (news - 2007)
    Fibromyalgia: Effective Treatment with Medical Marijuana - Salem-News.Com

Synthetic Cannabis for Fibromyalgia Pain? (news - 2007)
    Chronic Pain - Synthetic Cannabis for Fibromyalgia Pain?

Are cannabinoids a new treatment option for pain in patients with fibromyalgia?
    (abst - 2008)
    Are cannabinoids a new treatment option for pain i... [Nat Clin Pract Rheumatol. 2008] - PubMed result

Anandamide and neutrophil function in patients with fibromyalgia. (abst - 2008)
    Anandamide and neutrophil function in patients wit... [Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2008] - PubMed result

Nabilone for the treatment of pain in fibromyalgia. (abst -2008)
    Nabilone for the treatment of pain in fibromyalgia. [J Pain. 2008] - PubMed result

Marijuana-Based Drug Reduces Fibromyalgia Pain, Study Suggests
    (news - 2008)
    Marijuana-based Drug Reduces Fibromyalgia Pain, Study Suggests

Fibromyalgia and Medical Marijuana (news - 2008)
    Can Medical Marijuana Help Relieve Symptoms of Fibromyalgia?

Marijuana Ingredient May Cut Fibromyalgia Pain (news - 2008)
    Marijuana Ingredient May Cut Fibromyalgia Pain

Marijuana Derivative Called Effective in Fibromyalgia (news - 2008)
    Medical News: Marijuana Derivative Called Effective in Fibromyalgia - in Rheumatology, Fibromyalgia from MedPage Today

Fibromyalgia and Medical Marijuana (news - 2008)
    Can Medical Marijuana Help Relieve Symptoms of Fibromyalgia?

The Effects of Nabilone on Sleep in Fibromyalgia: Results of a Randomized Controlled Trial. (abst - 2009)
    Unbound MEDLINE | The effects of nabilone on sleep in fibromyalgia: results of a randomized controlled trial. Journal article

Medical marijuana may help fibromyalgia pain (news - 2010)
    Medical marijuana may help fibromyalgia pain - CNN.com

Hope that helps,

Granny :wave:

7. #8 tidyjay, Jul 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2010
    Excellent, I have just eMailed you for the list Storm Crow.

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia / FMS in March 2009. I've toked for about 20 years now and to be honest, although the diagnosis was a bit a of a headf**k, I was pretty pleased that I now had an excuse - every cloud eh?

I can see how life would be a tad easier if I wasn't high all the time so now I'm looking to get away from the recreational side and just try to get the medical effects without the munchies / brain fog / amnesia / paranoia / etc... during the week as I do hold down a fairly senior job.

Any tips from people here are gratefully received. As a smoker I don't mind joints in the slightest and I also have an Iolite for those more discreet occasions. I'm not really interested in Marinol or Sativex as I believe it is the combination of active ingredients that you can only get from the herb that provides the solution. I'm really asking for new ways of ingestion that are less likely to get my stoned whilst providing the pain relief - am I asking for too much?

Thanks

8. i would also like to suggest a topical cream.

my dispensary carries this stuff that is Shea Butter infused with cannabis.
    honestly i didnt think it would work either (thc absorption thru the skin and all) but this stuff is amazing.

nothing works on isolated pain like this stuff.
    spasms, muscle cramps, you name it.

9. Can you tell us what this cream is called please?

10. it is just labeled "Medicated Shea Butter". Sorry it doesn't even have a brand/manufacture name.

Next time i am in my Dispensary i will ask about the vendor.

Greens

11. My wife has Fibro. We have tested about 100 strains. Lavender is by far the best. Please consider using a vaporizer. We found that the "Extreme" is the best we have tested. We have had it for about 9 months and love it every day.

Also, Tinctures work the best. Basically, you take the weed and make it into a Tincture. Google "the definitive green dragon" for a recipe. 1-2 doses of the Tincture and my wife can completely function. Also, she finds that she is much more capable to do activities with the Tinctures as it's more of a body thing then a "head" thing.

2nd best is edibles. They take about 1-2 hours to feel the effects, but last 6-8+ hours. Very much a body effect that Fibro patients need. My wife particularly likes Rice Crispy Treats. Again, this is something very easy to make. Making the butter is REALLY easy. Crock pot on medium-high. 3-4 sticks of un-salted butter. 2 cups of water. Once butter melted, add 1/4 oz of nicely ground bud (grind it really well). Stir every 10 minutes in the first hour. After the first hour, bring the temperature down to simmer. Leave it on Simmer for 3 more hours. Then, pour the contents (through cheese cloth) into a pyrex cooking pan that has a lid. Make sure to squeeze the cheese cloth to get everything out (watch out, it's hot). Put on cover and then put into the fridgerator. In about 16 hours, the butter will sort and solidify to the top and the water on bottom. Take out of fridge, take the butter top and put into another seal-able container (like Tupperware). This green butter stuff in the Tupperware is now used just like normal butter. When making treats, use this butter instead of regular butter. Note: always test low doses of whatever you make because you never know how strong it will be. You can be high as a kite if you take too much. Lasts 6-8+ hours.

Anyway, good luck. Lavender is one of the best, but look for indicas and you will be doing great. Sativas might not bring the pain relief needed. Also, since sleep is the number 1 most important part of a Fibro patient's health, Sativas can keep you awake. Stick with indicas, especially at night.